• Release
  9. 9. Mike Fondop

• Retain
    • Release
  10. 10. Hallam Hope

• Retain
    • Release

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2024 at 12:55 PM

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Which makes Mellon post Oxford a strange one, surely when he took the job he knew the state of the squad, it's okay him exiling half of them but they are still entitled to draw their wages. 

Still training with the first team is the bewildering bit for me.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Still training with the first team is the bewildering bit for me.

We used to complain about unprofessionalism when we banished unwanted 1st team squad members to train with the kids under AL….. 

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I wonder which youths will be offered contracts? from what I've seen there could be at least three, two forwards and a centre back.

I know some don't rate him but I'd sign Benny Couto for another season.

I was impressed with his attitude, pace, distribution and forward thinking in the Manchester Premier Cup Final. Still only 19yo.

He’s 21 this year, BP.

Update your notepad.

9 hours ago, daniel said:

We used to complain about unprofessionalism when we banished unwanted 1st team squad members to train with the kids under AL….. 

Actually I used to complain it was bullying. The old regime used to try to make life hell so people would leave or behave in a way which could be used to sack them.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Actually I used to complain it was bullying. The old regime used to try to make life hell so people would leave or behave in a way which could be used to sack them.

You don't exile someone and then leave them training in the place you have removed them from...

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You don't exile someone and then leave them training in the place you have removed them from...

So you are the manager, what approach do you take.  You have a contracted player who you know you will not pick in your match day squad.

12 minutes ago, Pidge said:

So you are the manager, what approach do you take.  You have a contracted player who you know you will not pick in your match day squad.

Err ask him to stay at home, they call it gardening leave in most working environments. 

You certainly don't leave the bad influence in the group, it's basic man management.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Things may have changed but my understanding was that you are, or were, only obliged to provide adequate training facilities.

36 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Err ask him to stay at home, they call it gardening leave in most working environments. 

You certainly don't leave the bad influence in the group, it's basic man management.

So it would be better and possibly cheaper to draw a line under it and just pay them off surely. 
Are we talking about one player here or all the players he’s discarded?

If they’re not training and sat on their arse at home they’re not going to be easy to shift are they?

33 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So it would be better and possibly cheaper to draw a line under it and just pay them off surely. 
Are we talking about one player here or all the players he’s discarded?

If they’re not training and sat on their arse at home they’re not going to be easy to shift are they?

It saves paying out lump sums, paying them weekly is probably budgeted for and easier to absorb. With regards to Reid he was apparently already on a warning so he's a lucky boy to be picking wages up for nothing regardless of whether he is contracted. 

Not seen Shelton around for weeks neither which is strange, my feeling is he probably needs a break and the club are supporting him in that, he looked fragile towards the end and I had some sympathy for him as it just didn't work out for him playing alongside Sheron.

Having looked at the squad you'd say there are big decisions to be made over a number of first steamers who look out of Micky's plans including;

Norman

Shelton

Willoughby 

Nuttall 

Ward

Reid

That's on top of the rumours I'm hearing that some players (under contract) want out. Whichever way you look at it if these players can't be shifted they'll have to be brought back in to the fold as it's unsustainable at our level to have around 10k a week in wages going out for zero return.

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It saves paying out lump sums, paying them weekly is probably budgeted for and easier to absorb. With regards to Reid he was apparently already on a warning so he's a lucky boy to be picking wages up for nothing regardless of whether he is contracted. 

Not seen Shelton around for weeks neither which is strange, my feeling is he probably needs a break and the club are supporting him in that, he looked fragile towards the end and I had some sympathy for him as it just didn't work out for him playing alongside Sheron.

Having looked at the squad you'd say there are big decisions to be made over a number of first steamers who look out of Micky's plans including;

Norman

Shelton

Willoughby 

Nuttall 

Ward

Reid

That's on top of the rumours I'm hearing that some players (under contract) want out. Whichever way you look at it if these players can't be shifted they'll have to be brought back in to the fold as it's unsustainable at our level to have around 10k a week in wages going out for zero return.

If any players want out then I will drive them wherever they want to go myself. 

I can’t put it strongly enough but if it were a choice between getting rid of 4 of the 11 who regularly start or getting rid of the whole squad, I would go for the latter every time. 

Edited by AndyB2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

100% got to keep Fondop.

Effort, scores, holds the ball up well, even defends.

I've actually forgotten who I voted for in my own poll! However, I'd now offer Fondop a new 1 year deal and offer Green a 1 year - performance based - contract. The rest, thanks but goodbye.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

100% got to keep Fondop.

Effort, scores, holds the ball up well, even defends.

The 3 previous games without him showed his replacements were nowhere near as effective.

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The 3 previous games without him showed his replacements were nowhere near as effective.

And played when we were actually decent and got to fifth. 

"Our fans just love someone who runs around", though...

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Heard it’s being released early next  week. Fondop might be the only one being kept 

Fair enough but think we need better. Budget probably dictates he's the best we can get (hopefully for the bench).

Last season's (official) Retained and Released list was published on 1st May.

Latics had 18 players under contract, 9 players were released, 4 loanees returned to their parent club, and negotiations had started with 4 players.

This season we've got 18 first team players under contract, 10 players out of contract, and 3 loanees returning to their parent club.

The wage bill might be different, but the numerical situation is not dissimilar. 

Maybe the club should issue a 'transfer listed payers' list at the same time?

7 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Last season's (official) Retained and Released list was published on 1st May.

Latics had 18 players under contract, 9 players were released, 4 loanees returned to their parent club, and negotiations had started with 4 players.

This season we've got 18 first team players under contract, 10 players out of contract, and 3 loanees returning to their parent club.

The wage bill might be different, but the numerical situation is not dissimilar. 

Maybe the club should issue a 'transfer listed payers' list at the same time?

I am struggling to get my head around the notion that we will have to many players. 

We have 18 contracted players. Worse case scenario we can only shift on 2 players under contract (will be more) so that’s 16 players. 

Squad of 24, so we have room for 8 more players surely ? 

8 signings changes this side completely. 

22 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I am struggling to get my head around the notion that we will have to many players. 

We have 18 contracted players. Worse case scenario we can only shift on 2 players under contract (will be more) so that’s 16 players. 

Squad of 24, so we have room for 8 more players surely ? 

8 signings changes this side completely. 

Trouble is the budget will probably be reduced. EFL funding now ended and MM hinting that those under contract already make up the entirety of the budget. 

Still think we will have to sell/swop/move on a fair few - particularly higher earners - to create some wriggle room.