• Release
  9. 9. Mike Fondop

• Retain
    • Release
  10. 10. Hallam Hope

• Retain
    • Release

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2024 at 12:55 PM

27 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Also not sure about the hunger of a player who's already been there and done promotion. Do you have the same eagerness, if you've already won it? 

Or, is it not like a drug. Once you've experienced one success, you're hungry for more of it. As someone who's attending lots of interviews at the moment, employers want candidates who have demonstrated success elsewhere.

Alarm bells are raised far more from 'nearly men' than 'winners', if you get my jist.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Or, is it not like a drug. Once you've experienced one success, you're hungry for more of it. As someone who's attending lots of interviews at the moment, employers want candidates who have demonstrated success elsewhere.

Alarm bells are raised far more from 'nearly men' than 'winners', if you get my jist.

It’s probably both. You see it in all sports, you’ll get ones that win a title so their goal is achieved and they then fade away, mission accomplished. But you also get ones who are serial winners. They’ll keep going as winning is like a drug. 

Same with the workplace - you’ll have people trading off a success for years and coasting without the drive to build on it. Sorting one from the other is the tough part!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Yeah, I see the argument for signing them. 

Hogan for example ain't the spring chicken he was when he won promotion, though. He might see it as a drug - he might think meh, I've done it once, it'd be great to do it again, but I'm at an age where I'm slowing down now - when I retire I'll still be able to look back and say I've won something, if I don't win anything here. 

Signing "nearly men" is a slightly different argument, but I think in all walks of life ambition and attitude should be considered as important as previous achievements. 

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

I really don’t think McGahey is as bad as people say. Think this another classic case of Latics fans picking a player to direct their anger toward.

He is also the quickest defender we have.

The issue is, we are now going into next season with the exact same 5 centre backs. We only need 4…

It also stunts Sutton’s growth and we have at least two promising youth centre backs, who will not get an opportunity. 

Edited by LightDN123

12 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The issue is, we are now going into next season with the exact same 5 centre backs. We only need 4…

It also stunts Sutton’s growth and we have at least two promising youth centre backs, who will not get an opportunity. 

Do we place many of our faults on defence though. In terms of goals conceded, we were nowhere near the worst. In fact out of the top seven teams, we were one of the best if you're measuring that.

Creativity, goals scored, converting draws into wins and breaking down stubborn teams were all massive weaknesses which need severely addressing this summer. I'm not sure the likes of McGahey and our centre halves contribute in those areas, other than not scoring enough goals themselves as a collective. Therefore, for me, not too much needs changing amongst the personnel there.

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He's about 6ft 2" now.😉

I agree about the youth centre backs, very promising.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Do we place many of our faults on defence though. In terms of goals conceded, we were nowhere near the worst. In fact out of the top seven teams, we were one of the best if you're measuring that.

Creativity, goals scored, converting draws into wins and breaking down stubborn teams were all massive weaknesses which need severely addressing this summer. I'm not sure the likes of McGahey and our centre halves contribute in those areas, other than not scoring enough goals themselves as a collective. Therefore, for me, not too much needs changing amongst the personnel there.

I’m not saying change them, I’m saying we have to many and we should spend the budget elsewhere. 

We do not need 5 centre backs plus a youth centre back. It’s ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m not saying change them, I’m saying we have to many and we should spend the budget elsewhere. 

McGahey can cover CB and CDM though so it’s like having 4.5 centre backs.

37 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Has any youth player we've released in, say, the last decade gone on to have a decent career?

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

2 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

I can't help feeling that we will sell or swop one our CBs - Hobson maybe

This could well be that he rates McGahey higher in terms that he's more flexible and has a better chance of moving one of the others on to make room in his budget, especially if he brings in a fee for one of them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Has any youth player we've released in, say, the last decade gone on to have a decent career?

Was wondering this myself. Ones that weren’t given a chance here but went on to play higher. I’m struggling to think of any. 

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

I can't imagine it's the kids that will kill the budget. If any of those first year professionals are promising we should be able to afford them. The lad Cookson seems to have a great character but I haven't seen him play.

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I don’t really know or care. But when it comes to my 5th choice centre back I’d rather it be a youth player on peanuts with potentially. Rather than Harisson McGahey or Hogan, both of which are not good enough and never will be. 

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

I really don’t think McGahey is as bad as people say. Think this another classic case of Latics fans picking a player to direct their anger toward.

He might not be in reality - they're all not as bad as people say, probably.

But we simply can't keep them all if we're going to get better as a team.

What is it they say about a person who repeats the same mistakes and expects different results?

For me there's a case for Fondop getting a new deal and maybe Gardner.  The rest we have to let go if we're not to have same again next season.  McGahey hasn't done enough to suggest he's going to take us to the next level moving forward.

It isn't particularly clear but given Kofi Moore is in the under contract list I am assuming none of the other players out of contract have been offered a deal. But it is an assumption, and it assumes Kofi Moore was out of contract.

Probably need Suzanne to provide some clarity.

Edited by Hemel latic
  • Like 1

Article isn’t particularly clear is it? I’m happy if all have been released. There were arguments for Fondop and Gardner, but i’d have still released them.