• Release
  9. 9. Mike Fondop

• Retain
    • Release
  10. 10. Hallam Hope

• Retain
    • Release

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2024 at 12:55 PM

On a reduced budget I can't see us having , or needing, more than 3 keepers (one out on loan with recall clause) and 22 outfield players.

If we get rid of the 10 out of contract we still have 18 under contract ( 2 keepers). Don't think that leaves a lot of wriggle room so we'll  need  to shift a fair few somehow to create space for quality. I'd be looking at Shelton, Ward, Willoughby,  Nuttall and Reid for sure. And I'd still have doubts over Lundstram, Sheron and Kitch.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

The big worry with that is- I don’t see many high earners. . possibly Gardner and Maghey? 

Don’t see massive savings. (They still need to go though) 

Harrison is on 800 a week as he signed during the Abdallah embargo days. same for Hope.

33 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Harrison is on 800 a week as he signed during the Abdallah embargo days. same for Hope.

Well, if that’s true- I’d guess at the others as, 

Langley £500

Couto £500

Harrison £800

Bren 1K

Dan £1500

Green 1k

Tollit £800

Windass £500

Mikey 1k

Hope £800

If I’m anywhere in the ball park - that’s 8.4K a week off the wage bill. 

What does that get us? 

8 ok players on 1k

5 good players on 1.5k 

Even with this fag packet guessing it’s not difficult to see how difficult it’s going to be in the summer. 

7 hours ago, welshgaz said:

There will have been clauses for their contracts to be bumped up. Don't forget when they signed, we could only sign players on one year deals and they're still here nearly 3 years on.

Release all OOC players for me. Gardner the only one I'm dubious about, problem is he can't stay bloody fit. He's even playing with an injury now - probably because he's trying to get a new deal...

So there are 10 players out of contract let's also say that we get 4 players who are contracted out the door too. We won't sell them but enough to get them out on loan or go to another club where we don't fully pay up their contract but we have to give them something and it reduces the wage bill enough that we are allowed to bring in another player (4 out 1 in) Dallas Sachdev and Walker all go back then you have cleared enough space their easily to bring in an entirely new team. Aslong as we don't slash the wage bill which I don't think they will the Rothwells are going knowhere. Its going to be a busy summer but their is still no reason we can't start next season with a far better side than we have now.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

So there are 10 players out of contract let's also say that we get 4 players who are contracted out the door too we won't sell them but enough to get them out on loan or go to another club where we don't fully pay up their contract but we have to give them something to get them out the door but it reduces the wage bill enough that we are allowed to bring in another player (4 out 1 in) Dallas Sachdev abd Walker all go back then you have cleared enough space their easily to bring in an entirely new team. Aslong as we don't slash the wage bill which I don't think they will the Rothwells are going knowhere. Its going to be a busy summer but their is still no reason we can't start next season with a far better side than we have now.

In theory.  I'll still bear in mind that the arrival of most of this group was broadly welcomed

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

So there are 10 players out of contract let's also say that we get 4 players who are contracted out the door too we won't sell them but enough to get them out on loan or go to another club where we don't fully pay up their contract but we have to give them something to get them out the door but it reduces the wage bill enough that we are allowed to bring in another player (4 out 1 in) Dallas Sachdev abd Walker all go back then you have cleared enough space their easily to bring in an entirely new team. Aslong as we don't slash the wage bill which I don't think they will the Rothwells are going knowhere. Its going to be a busy summer but their is still no reason we can't start next season with a far better side than we have now.

Love the optimism. And I agree there will be a way.

but I can’t get over the fact that we have signed such dross on long term contracts. It’s utterly criminal at this level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

What’s your point? 

That we may recruit players that are seen as an upgrade but until they get out on the pitch and prove it the jury will be out.  There was very little criticism of any of the signings over the last 20 months, until they played...

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That we may recruit players that are seen as an upgrade but until they get out on the pitch and prove it the jury will be out.  There was very little criticism of any of the signings over the last 20 months, until they played...

This is where we have to trust Mellon and his "I know what good is". He should in theory know what a good team looks like having built a few. And that's not 11 great individuals. It's a blend of different skills and personalities. Maybe that's where we fell down last summer - the previous manager and recruitment team did well at finding good individuals (ie ones that had done well elsewhere) but did badly at finding players that fit well together in a team.

Whelan and Garrity are good recent examples of players who's new clubs got laughed at for signing them. They've then gone on to fit really well in those teams.

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Because they all appeared to be decent signings on paper? TBH I wouldn’t have thought that the vast majority of our fanbase really knew too much about any of them first hand.

All we can go off is their previous record and trust that the recruitment department have done their ‘due diligence’.

I still think that even with the shortfall of quality in key positions any decent manager/coach should have been able to get them to perform to a far better standard than they have shown!

19 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Ok. Yes I agree. Signed with the best intentions 

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

Love the optimism. And I agree there will be a way.

but I can’t get over the fact that we have signed such dross on long term contracts. It’s utterly criminal at this level.

Consensus is that either you give a longer contract or more money but we seem to have offered both to some recruits.

21 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I have a horrible feeling that Mcgahey will get another year he shouldn't but its quite possible that Mellon likes him.

I do too. I don’t necessarily think that’s the worst thing to happen. He’ll need to be cute with the finances, McGahey won’t be on a lot, or he offered an expensive contract and he can cover either centre half of defensive midfield. Might be used as a shore up option to defend a 1-0 lead. 

in an ideal world, he’d be out on his arse but books have to be balanced and some players will need paying off to get rid.

12 hours ago, League one forever said:

Langley £500

Couto £500

Harrison £800

Bren 1K

Dan £1500

Green 1k

Tollit £800

Windass £500

Mikey 1k

Hope £800

What does that get us? 

8 ok players on 1k

5 good players on 1.5k 

Even with this fag packet guessing it’s not difficult to see how difficult it’s going to be in the summer. 

Someone posted this, don't know how accurate it is:

https://salarysport.com/football/national-league/oldham-athletic/

13 hours ago, League one forever said:

Langley £500

Couto £500

Harrison £800

Bren 1K

Dan £1500

Green 1k

Tollit £800

Windass £500

Mikey 1k

Hope £800

What does that get us? 

8 ok players on 1k

5 good players on 1.5k 

Can't see Green being on 1k a week. We got him from the dog and duck reserves didn't we. 

6 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Can't see Green being on 1k a week. We got him from the dog and duck reserves didn't we. 

We got him from the mighty Telford Utd, and he's on around £820 a week according to https://salarysport.com/football/national-league/oldham-athletic/

One of the main problems will be offloading the in-contract, but out of favour, players such as Nuttall, Reid and Ward, if the above wages are anywhere near correct!