• Release
  9. 9. Mike Fondop

• Retain
    • Release
  10. 10. Hallam Hope

• Retain
    • Release

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2024 at 12:55 PM

Just now, Boyyou said:

Trouble is the budget will probably be reduced. EFL funding now ended and MM hinting that those under contract already make up the entirety of the budget. 

Still think we will have to sell/swop/move on a fair few - particularly higher earners - to create some wriggle room.

So the 18 players we have take us over budget ? Bull shit. 

If that is true, which it won’t be, even Frank and his family need to look at themselves because that’s not a football issue, that’s a basic business issue. 

Think I'm right in saying we will be about £400,000 worse off for next season now that parachute payments end.

The club went balls deep on backing DU's recruitment of players on 2/3 year contracts and it has backfired spectacularly. 

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If that is true, which it won’t be, even Frank and his family need to look at themselves because that’s not a football issue, that’s a basic business issue. 

Problem is, out of the 18 players contracted, i'm guessing it includes all of the big earners. However, if you offload Norwood that should in theory free up budget to bring in 2/3 decent players. Should be able to offload a couple of more so we should be looking at bringing at least 5/6 players getting only 3 out. You could then look to make up the squad with some youths and loans. However, it doesn't really scream we are going for promotion in a big way does it?

Edited by PeteG

4 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Problem is, out of the 18 players contracted, i'm guessing it includes all of the big earners. However, if you offload Norwood that should in theory free up budget to bring in 2/3 decent players. Should be able to offload a couple of more so we should be looking at bringing at least 5/6 players getting only 3 out. You could then look to make up the squad with some youths and loans. However, it doesn't really scream we are going for promotion in a big way does it?

Agreed, PeteG. We may need to shift some high earners. If we can get the right 5 or 6 in it could make a big difference. For all our troubles at the start and finish of the season we didn't end a million miles from the play-offs- and they have to be the aim.

A more comprehensive rejig of the squad can only really come when contracts are up the following summer.

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I am struggling to get my head around the notion that we will have to many players. 

We have 18 contracted players. Worse case scenario we can only shift on 2 players under contract (will be more) so that’s 16 players. 

Squad of 24, so we have room for 8 more players surely ? 

8 signings changes this side completely. 

8 good signings! (4 or 5 would do).

42 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Didn't that happen to Portsmouth when in the Premiership with disastrous repercussions?

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

No no, I think you are missing the point. 

If we have recruited a squad of 30 plus players and 18 of those alone who are here next season take us over the budget for the next season, someone needs the sack from the board room. 

I doubt it’s true, but I’d have serious concerns about the owners competence if it is. 

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Are there any budget restrictions etc. in this league?

Surely teams like Oxford would struggle with 500 home fans if that was the case?.

Be good if it was linked to revenue as we would be at a huge advantage next season.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Surely teams like Oxford would struggle with 500 home fans if that was the case?.

Be good if it was linked to revenue as we would be at a huge advantage next season.

Not stopped the likes of Solihull, Gateshead, Halifax, Bromley,  etc, who must all have lower revenues.

It's not always what you earn, but how you spend it.

2 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

From what I was told we are spending again. 

If that’s the case, somebody really ought to have informed MM before that interview yesterday!😆

Look at the teams around us in the top 7 even if we had reduced the budget by 20% we would still have a top 7 budget this season I don't think we will drop it by that much. We are going to lose the efl money yes but the mothballing of the academy will offset alot of that. So I don't think we are going to see a drastic drop in the actual budget it will be very competitive for this level. 

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 2:40 PM, PeteG said:

Problem is, out of the 18 players contracted, i'm guessing it includes all of the big earners. However, if you offload Norwood that should in theory free up budget to bring in 2/3 decent players. Should be able to offload a couple of more so we should be looking at bringing at least 5/6 players getting only 3 out. 

We also need to get Nuttall off the wage bill as well. He's supposed to be the club's 2nd biggest earner! Dickenson is the highest earner who's out of contract according to Salary Sport. Those 3 would 'save' around £6,700 a week if their figures are anywhere near correct!