Transfer Rumours 24/25

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I've contacted the club that 24yo Colwyn Bay right back Alex Downes has ended his contract.

Hes 6ft, tough, powerful with pace and determination who can defend and bomb forward, sending over devastating crosses and score goals. Can't ask for much more at our level and he would be on a modest wage.

The NL nor the EFL would hold any fears for him. So hope we can make an approach.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24286869.alex-downes-named-colwyn-bay-fc-supporters-player-year/

You would think that Gary Brabin, as sporting director of TNS, has see plenty of Downes.

Wonder if he is the sort to have a look at in pre-season games.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

You would think that Gary Brabin, as sporting director of TNS, has see plenty of Downes.

Wonder if he is the sort to have a look at in pre-season games.

An interesting observation.

23 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I've contacted the club that 24yo Colwyn Bay right back Alex Downes has ended his contract.

Hes 6ft, tough, powerful with pace and determination who can defend and bomb forward, sending over devastating crosses and score goals. Can't ask for much more at our level and he would be on a modest wage.

The NL nor the EFL would hold any fears for him. So hope we can make an approach.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24286869.alex-downes-named-colwyn-bay-fc-supporters-player-year/

I see Downes has signed for Bala in the Welsh Premier League. I guess the attraction of playing in Europe plus a better salary swayed it.

Beautiful area to work and live too.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I see Downes has signed for Bala in the Welsh Premier League. I guess the attraction of playing in Europe plus a better salary swayed it.

Beautiful area to work and live too.

I wouldn’t go that far about Bala 😂

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I wouldn’t go that far about Bala 😂

You could be right, they certainly won't have an attractiion like Spindles. 😁

I suspect we'd struggle to get promising but not especially young players to step up from part time clubs.  Age old problem - do they give up whatever their day job is for a short term contract that means they'll probably see a drop in income.  Big decision which to a large degree may depend on personal circumstances.

50 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I suspect we'd struggle to get promising but not especially young players to step up from part time clubs.  Age old problem - do they give up whatever their day job is for a short term contract that means they'll probably see a drop in income.  Big decision which to a large degree may depend on personal circumstances.

That, or MM just won't bloody listen (or reply)!!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Lags said:

Does this mean it's his level?

As showed when Wales beat England in a recent non league International there's not a lot of difference to the National League.

He's still only 24, but financially could be happy with part time football.

If he wanted to give that up for full time football I belive he's good  enough for the EFL.

I never judge a player at the level they are playing, if all clubs did that Jamie Vardy would still be playing in the North East Counties League.

For me it's about ability and determination combined with a view to potential.

Edited by BP1960

Released by Leytion Orient, I think they've made a mistake. I've seen him play, very dynamic and has great potential, just the type of player we need.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Released by Leytion Orient, I think they've made a mistake. I've seen him play, very dynamic and has great potential, just the type of player we need.

I'll ask a civil question just because I'm interested.  Where have you seen him play?  Last time the answer I got was along the lines of 'I've seen him play, is that enough for you' which seemed a bit punchy but there you go.

31 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

.Would his stay be brief?

Enough of this smalls talk.

9 minutes ago, mick26 said:

That's an A-front to the puns on this topic

Knickers to that, its only smalls talk.

On 5/14/2024 at 12:13 PM, BP1960 said:

As showed when Wales beat England in a recent non league International there's not a lot of difference to the National League.

He's still only 24, but financially could be happy with part time football.

If he wanted to give that up for full time football I belive he's good  enough for the EFL.

I never judge a player at the level they are playing, if all clubs did that Jamie Vardy would still be playing in the North East Counties League.

For me it's about ability and determination combined with a view to potential.

Come on BP it's a piss poor level this.

He's played for the team that just finshed 2nd bottom of a shit league, conceded a hatful of goals, and gone to a team who get around 300 home supporters, which suggests he had very few options.

Yes you need to take a few gambles on lower league players, and if you dont try then you will never win, however I'd suggest we need a stronger right back than this if we are to seriously push for promotion next season. I'd be pretty confident he's no better than what we have.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Come on BP it's a piss poor level this.

He's played for the team that just finshed 2nd bottom of a shit league, conceded a hatful of goals, and gone to a team who get around 300 home supporters, which suggests he had very few options.

Yes you need to take a few gambles on lower league players, and if you dont try then you will never win, however I'd suggest we need a stronger right back than this if we are to seriously push for promotion next season. I'd be pretty confident he's no better than what we have.

I've seen him you haven't, so you can't possibly say you are confident he isn't better than what we have. He's a very well built, quick, powerful right back, excellent going forward and can defend. If others in the team can't  defend why blame him alone?

You also cannot judge a player because he's in a relegation team.

I remember a player from a club who dropped into non league and later played in the top flight.

The NL has part time teams and you are calling it far superior?

As I've said before I recommend individuals whatever level or league position they are in.

If they have the ability and desire combined that's what I look for. 

I will never recommend a player from even an higher level if he has no heart.

He may or may not reach his potential, but IMO he's better than what we have which is always the criteria.

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, boyinthesnow said:

It's still only mid May

Quite a few signings already made in the National League! Don't mind waiting as long as we get the right players in.