Ched Evans

Ched Evans Poll  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Ched Evans for OAFC

• Yes
    • No

Although I get your point and yes I would also agree that he's unlikely to apologise if he still thinks he innocent with an inquiry coming up. Let's not forget that currently he's guilty of the crime and is now considered so unless the inquiry points to a miscarriage.

Unlikely to apologise I agree with, but I think that he should accept that whilst he is guilty in the eyes of the law and not apologising, that it is likely that his chances of employment diminish

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlikely to apologise I agree with, but I think that he should accept that whilst he is guilty in the eyes of the law and not apologising, that it is likely that his chances of employment diminish

I think he does which makes me think he may be innocent. If all he cared about was football and thought, actually yeah she didn't consent then surely he would just come out, say that he was stupid and he shouldn't have done it, he's learnt his lesson and wants a second chance?

He was given that option and told if he showed 'remorse of the crime he committed' he would be allowed to play football again

However he is still pleading his innocence. If he is still doing that then it must get you thinking that he believes the sex was consensual.

Like I've said before it was an act of stupidity but rape i'm not so sure. Either way I'd welcome him back to football and welcome him to have a second chance but preferably not with Oldham

• 3 weeks later...

3 Sheffield United patrons have now quit the club in protest after letting Evans train with them.

The shirt sponsor has also released a statement saying that it will have to re-evaluate its position as sponsor should he be offered a contract.

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

A lot of people are saying "If he was a plumber...." How many plumbers with rape convictions are allowed into houses with women on their own?

None... 100... 6 million... unless you have a number that's an entirely redundant statement.

None... 100... 6 million... unless you have a number that's an entirely redundant statement.

I don't think you need a number.

Electrician, joiner, plasterer, general lacky knocking down a wall or shifting some dirt in the garden. Hell, gardener.

It will have happened. And the hypothetical lone lady won't have known.

There's a lot of remarkably liberal viewpoints out there considering the offence that was committed.

The offence committed was abhorrent and I would support the extension of jail time for such crimes considerably (with the caveat that we improve our system such that there's genuine punishment and education given out). What I'm opposed in this and similar to is hyperbolic and fact-less griping about it. Under the law of the land, to which all of us are subject, he's a free man and under no licence conditions to my knowledge (which like everyone's regarding this situation is exceptionally limited!)

As an ex teacher believe me youngsters copy so called role models as its ok to be like that. Totally agree it should be earned but more often it is a responsibility they stuff up with as not always very bright in a life skill sense or qualification way. Odd exceptions like Dowie and Simpson.

I agree, role models come in many shapes and forms and aren't always good.

As an ex teacher believe me youngsters copy so called role models as its ok to be like that. Totally agree it should be earned but more often it is a responsibility they stuff up with as not always very bright in a life skill sense or qualification way. Odd exceptions like Dowie and Simpson.

I'm just curious how many youngsters would have considered Ched Evans a role model prior to his conviction.

And the main question for me is should it be the responsibility of any footballer to be a role model when all they are trying to do, or care to do is to play football?

Whoaa, I am not saying he should be able to be a plumber, I was rubbishing the argument that if he did Job X then he should be ok to continue that many people rattle off parrot fashion.

Under the law of the land, to which all of us are subject, he's a free man and under no licence conditions to my knowledge (which like everyone's regarding this situation is exceptionally limited!)

He must have licence conditions - he's only served half his sentence. Not the same as being a free man.

He must have licence conditions - he's only served half his sentence. Not the same as being a free man.

Also, as a convicted sex offender, I would guess that he'll be on a register for the rest of his life that will put certain restrictions on him. He wont be following in Ben Burgess' footsteps any time soon.

Sadly that from all areas of society, lot of copy culture. The medical students who included a rape scene in end of year play equally as thick.

I've not heard of this story at all. But unless there's an important detail that i'm not aware of, I can't think of a reason that a rape scene shouldn't be in a play.

I've not heard of this story at all. But unless there's an important detail that i'm not aware of, I can't think of a reason that a rape scene shouldn't be in a play.

It might offend people, clearly that should be avoided at all times and all costs.

It might offend people, clearly that should be avoided at all times and all costs.

How is that enabling us to be equipped to deal with the issue? It's an often raised argument, but I'd rather it was examined than hid away and labelled forbidden.

Sadly that from all areas of society, lot of copy culture. The medical students who included a rape scene in end of year play equally as thick.

Equally as thick but by the sound of it it is something of a traditional risqué play, this year the line has been pushed too far. Their cards will get marked and it might affect their job prospects. Lumping them in with a convicted rapist is a bit of a stretch though.

Don't know if it's been said previously and playing devils advocate and all...

What if it was our club in all this and the PFA asked us to allow him to back in to train?

What is the difference between Lee Hughes and this ched bloke? They've done time for the crime irrespective of remorse shown, is it our individual morals that is the difference? Moral compass? Vehicle manslaughter v rape?

I've been toiling with the idea that would I withdraw my support of my club, if it was us in this predicament?

Hmmm, I believe I know what I would do, personal choice I suppose but an interesting debate and boy I really would hate begin a fan of that yorkshire club at the mo. God knows how the players and staff are reacting.

Wonder if it will effect the play and of course oppos fans giving them grief too.....going to be an interesting few weeks me thinks

Edited by underdog