Anthony Gerrard

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

...I'm honestly struggling to see how telling someone to 'throw shite at themselves' in a jokey manner is punishable by anything other than a slap on the wrist. It's not like it was a personal/hurtful dig, you'd have to be a weapons-grade offendotron for that comment to upset you (that's not aimed at you Singe and I'm not suggesting that you personally were upset/offended).

In this day and age, where anything anyone in the public eye says and does, then the reaction of Gerrard was foolish and unprofessional. Footballers are regarded as role models for our youngsters, no matter what club and what league they ply their trade in. I remember some youngsters giving Gary McAllister a mouthful of insults at BP, as he came to retrieve the ball during the warm-up. He just smiled, picked up the ball and moved away. No comebacks, no reprisals. It's simply called professionalism.

If a footballer cannot adhere to that code, then he must take the consequences on the chin.

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

In this day and age, where anything anyone in the public eye says and does, then the reaction of Gerrard was foolish and unprofessional. Footballers are regarded as role models for our youngsters, no matter what club and what league they ply their trade in. I remember some youngsters giving Gary McAllister a mouthful of insults at BP, as he came to retrieve the ball during the warm-up. He just smiled, picked up the ball and moved away. No comebacks, no reprisals. It's simply called professionalism.

If a footballer cannot adhere to that code, then he must take the consequences on the chin.

Our marquee signing of the summer has served two drug bans, doesn't get much more unprofessional and less role model-y than that, why is nobody up in arms over him?

1 minute ago, Buckshawlatic said:

I’m leaving the whole Gerrard argument alone now but (and this isn’t a dig

you will find that fan interaction actually is written into their contracts - it includes the school, hospital and charity visits. They have to do them as part of their job 

granted I don’t think it extends to Twitter 

Poorly worded on my behalf as I was trying to rubbish the supermarket cashier analogy. I understand they have to do community work but it doesn't extend beyond that e.g. autograph signings, pictures with fans, replying on Twitter are all voluntary acts by the players which most of them carry out without any trouble. 

I'll be leaving it now too. Whilst I'm thankful for Anthony's contribution under Sheridan's spells as gaffer I can't bring myself to type anymore about a player who treated a young fan in that manner and let's be honest, was far from his best on the pitch last season. He's found a new club with a manager who seems to get the best out of him. Time to move on  :chubb:

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Our marquee signing of the summer has served two drug bans, doesn't get much more unprofessional and less role model-y than that, why is nobody up in arms over him?

I think people find someone taking recreation drugs easier to take than an ignorant moron slagging off their club, their town and individual supporters.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I agree with you, it does smell of double standards, somewhat. There has to be more to it than this slip-up on social media...I just don't think we, as fans, will be enlightened any more than we already have...unless Gerrard himself discloses more information, but I would imagine he will probably draw a line under it and let his football do the talking when Latics play Carlisile.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I agree with you, it does smell of double standards, somewhat. There has to be more to it than this slip-up on social media...I just don't think we, as fans, will be enlightened any more than we already have...unless Gerrard himself discloses more information, but I would imagine he will probably draw a line under it and let his football do the talking when Latics play Carlisile.

Yes, let us hope some of our more swivel eyed loony fans can find peace with themselves now he is gone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I think people find someone taking recreation drugs easier to take than an ignorant moron slagging off their club, their town and individual supporters.

That could be the case, but either scenario is unprofessional. The flip-side is that fans have a tendency to forgive any short comings when said player performs on the pitch.

36 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Fuck me nearly 500 replies and 42k views on this saga.

He's gone....I'm glad (which seems to be the general consensus)....so can we just move on from this prick!

Well said

2 hours ago, ChaddySmoker said:

That was his intention! 

Calls OAFC classless. The cheek, we do things proper round here.

He could easily have asked OAFC to terminate his contract with no pay off if he wanted. Which would effectively had been the same outcome and involved alot less shit throwing 

16 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

Ah.....so it's not the ground staff's fault we have a crap playing surface!!!

He was born 65 years too late. 

Would have made a fortune in WW1.

Private: "But sir, we are sitting ducks here. Its flat, its pissing down and Jerry can pick us off at will. It will take hours to dig trenches"

Colonel: "bring out the Gerrard"

All: "Huzzah for the Gerrard"

Meanwhile on Christmas day...

Jurgen: "Das ist ein fat centre half".

Fat centre half: "Go throw sheisse at yourself kraut cock"

Can we set a rule that once a player leaves then all posts related to that player are locked?

He’s gone now, fans were divided on him granted but it’s old news and he’s now a Carlisle player rather than OAFC player 

17 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Can we set a rule that once a player leaves then all posts related to that player are locked?

He’s gone now, fans were divided on him granted but it’s old news and he’s now a Carlisle player rather than OAFC player 

You went to the effort of opening and posting in a thread with the title of an ex-player. Without being facetious, it's easily avoidable.

46 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Just wait till he posts his 'revelations' and it will all kick off again.