Shrewsbury

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Doesn't seem like money is too much of a problem of late does it?

I'm pretty sure the money tree you talk of is somewhat closer than Dubai!

The return to fitness of Stott and Hunt would help the cause substantially but we cannot continue leaking goals at the present rate....what do you suggest?

Replace Gerrard in the team and settle on 1 decent keeper, bin the others

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/16/2017 at 8:14 PM, HarryBosch said:

I think fans need to get together and make some kind of protest against the standard of officiating. It's getting worse and worse.

I think a big problem is the rules change every season. Not to defend what is quite frankly awful refereeing but the game as it is now is not the game I grew up with 20 years ago - can't imagine what it's like to older fans. FIFA and the governing bodies are ripping the soul out of the game whether that be because of commercial pressure (read 'greedy fuckers filling their pockets') to protect players from injury or just genuine incompetence they are a cancer on the sport.

That sending off - if you pause it as Doyle goes past the lad;

1. The ball is there to be won

2. Doyle's leading foot never leaves the floor

3. Doyle's leading foot makes no contact at all with the man

4. It's debatable whether even Doyle's trailing foot (also grounded, studs pointing away) make any contact with the man

5. The above leaves a grown man rolling about on the floor holding his shin despite wearing shin guards and not being hit on his shin.

If sending Doyle off for this is the correct application of the laws of the game, the game is absurd.

On 16/09/2017 at 3:53 PM, Stagger Lee said:

If we had a goalkeeper like last year we would walk this league.

It's frustrating to see Ripley sitting on the bench at Burton, while we've conceded at least two in every single one of our nine competitive games (I don't count the shit trophy) this season.

On 16/09/2017 at 8:14 PM, HarryBosch said:

Not convinced by Ruddy, I'd like to see Placide given a go. Seems daft not using such an experienced keeper. 

Edmundson was ok. As has been said by a few Clarke looks a shadow of himself. Gerrard too and he was back to being very quiet after coming back to life a bit v Charlton.

McLaughlin seems to be going backwards.

Gevaro was good, great cross for the goal. While I prefer a winger to be a bit livelier he's very clever both in the way he looks after the ball and "manages the game" (hate that phrase). He's clearly been coached well and it bodes well that might also apply to the rest of the forruns. 

Byrne was good as usual but I thought that was his poorest performance which is a back handed compliment. 

Same for Bryan.

Gardner too - his passing and running with the ball was a bit off and he was a bit of a liability defensively.

Davies is looking like exactly what we hoped we'd be getting - an older, wiser version of the Mental we knew and loved. 

Like Byrne, I thought this was Doyle's poorest performance. Again a back handed compliment. 

Fane didn't do much but didn't do anything wrong either.

Queensy was very disappointing. 

Tope didn't have much time to do anything but I'm happy he's back and might figure from hereon in. 

Disappointed, and surprised, with the result but again we looked good and will have a half decent season provided Lemsagam & his mates don't stupidly get rid of Shez, 

Oh, and the ref and North Stand side linesman were yet again as bad as we're becoming used to. 

I think fans need to get together and make some kind of protest against the standard of officiating. It's getting worse and worse.

Ref was best I've seen in a while. Let play go on and didn't give yellows out willie nillie. Lino got 1 or 2 wrong but, for the most part,  It was just our fans frustration, so they called for every little decision. Remember one were macca tracked back about 20 yards but, came from an offside position. Everyone went mental, people need to learn the rules, just cause he's tracked back doesn't mean he can't be offside. Can't blame officials every game, shez not having an effective plan b is the main problem. 

2 minutes ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

Ref was best I've seen in a while. Let play go on and didn't give yellows out willie nillie. Lino got 1 or 2 wrong but, for the most part,  It was just our fans frustration, so they called for every little decision. Remember one were macca tracked back about 20 yards but, came from an offside position. Everyone went mental, people need to learn the rules, just cause he's tracked back doesn't mean he can't be offside. Can't blame officials every game, shez not having an effective plan b is the main problem. 

The main problem as I see it is more to do with our defensive setup and an average keeper.

Also - how different it could have been if Doyle had put away that relatively easy chance instead of hitting the post?

Definitely improving as a team though.

30 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I suspect the ref thought he was out of control. From where I was sat it looked like a pretty clear booking.

Can't disagree with this at all, if that was Fane jumping in whilst on a yellow he'd of been hung, drawn and quartered on here, not gonna get on Doyles back cause he's been good for us but it was a stupid booking to take.

33 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I suspect the ref thought he was out of control. From where I was sat it looked like a pretty clear booking.

This is exactly my point, the introduction of rules such as 'being out of control' has sanitised the game and kills excitement. I blame the watered pitch personally, on a dry pitch he wouldn't have slid nearly as far and maintained 'control'.  When AI is good enough, maybe we'll replace human players with robots with entertainment set to 0.

17 minutes ago, LeylandLatic said:

This is exactly my point, the introduction of rules such as 'being out of control' has sanitised the game and kills excitement. I blame the watered pitch personally, on a dry pitch he wouldn't have slid nearly as far and maintained 'control'.  When AI is good enough, maybe we'll replace human players with robots with entertainment set to 0.

If we built a robot Latics footballer what would he consist of? 

I'd build from the brain of Bobby Johnstone, the head of Jim Fryatt, the heart of Ian Marshall, the legs of Alan Groves, the feet of Simon Stainrod and the torso of Paul Warhurst.

I'd have plenty of other players spare parts on hand of course in case replacement parts were needed.

Edited by BP1960

On 9/16/2017 at 5:21 PM, Fergie said:

4 defeats at home in the league another depressing feckin Sat evening coming up. 

....I've forgetten what it's like to go about my daily life under the warm ready-brek like glow you get when your football team is winning..... I can only imagine what it must be like.