The defence.

I think we’re doing ok on the whole, and the fact we’re scoring more than I can remember is a huge plus. However we do conceded a lot.  

It seems to go two ways. 

1. Tight defence- but the football is boring/ non descriptive. Ala Robinson/Penny. 

2. We score a lot, but concede more than we should.

How can we improve at the back? Change of tactics? New additions in Jan? Or are people happy with the status quo- (as long as we win more than we lose) 

Just now, League one forever said:

I think we’re doing ok on the whole, and the fact we’re scoring more than I can remember in recent seasons is a huge plus. However we do conceded a lot.  

It seems to go two ways. 

1. Tight defence- but the football is boring/ non descriptive. Ala Robinson/Penny. 

How can we improve at the back? Change of tactics? New additions in Jan? Or are people happy with the status quo- (as long as we win more than we lose) 

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

I think we’re doing ok on the whole, and the fact we’re scoring more than I can remember is a huge plus. However we do conceded a lot.  

It seems to go two ways. 

Seven teams in the division have conceded fewer goals.....

We've only lost by more than one goal once in the league.  I'm not sure what that suggests, but maybe a lovely modern phrase "game management" is an issue?

Priority signing for me would be the midfield general type - experienced campaigner who can put his foot on the ball and control the game, and marshal the relative inexperience around him.  We have Clarke at the back and Chris O'Grady up front, but the midfield is extremely inexperienced.

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We've only lost by more than one goal once in the league.  I'm not sure what that suggests, but maybe a lovely modern phrase "game management" is an issue?

Priority signing for me would be the midfield general type - experienced campaigner who can put his foot on the ball and control the game, and marshal the relative inexperience around him.  We have Clarke at the back and Chris O'Grady up front, but the midfield is extremely inexperienced.

I've seen the 'game management' stuff trotted out a lot all season. I will stand to be corrected but I can only see we've dropped points from games we've been leading 4 times all season - yesterday, Stevenage, Lincoln and Tranmere. 

My biggest disappointment yesterday was we should have been out of sight before the first equaliser. 

Exeter targetted the inexperience of Hamer and in addition were firing far post crosses all afternoon.

Sometimes you come up against a player on the top of his form like  Stockley, without him in their side I'd say we would have won comfortably.

Surridge will do similar to the opposition one day so we can look forward to that (if he stays I hope).

Edited by BP1960

Its a strange one because we are usually heading into January with a few glaring weaknesses we don't appear to be at the moment. We could be better defensively but we could be worse too we can say that about midfield upfront and on the flanks. Second half we got done twice on our right hand side and as has been said we came up against a player in Stockley who put in the best individual performance we've see against us this season. With the defence the only thing that worries me is the potential for Clarke to get injured apart from that it should be good enough to see us into the play offs.

Maybe after yesterday we might need to think how strong our bench is.

No matter how good Iversons shot stopping is, his reluctance to come off his line and collect a corner puts far too much pressure of the back four. Do believe there is better out there. 

Send graham back and bring in a better centre half. If Clarke gets injured we are screwed. 

Would send lyden back and bring a Cm who can control the game when Missilou or Maouche run out of steam. 

I think Lang would be good up top so another right winger with pace and abit of quality would be good. 

Dont think loads needs changing but few tweaks and we should be more than capable of top 7. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

No matter how good Iversons shot stopping is, his reluctance to come off his line and collect a corner puts far too much pressure of the back four. Do believe there is better out there. 

Send graham back and bring in a better centre half. If Clarke gets injured we are screwed. 

Would send lyden back and bring a Cm who can control the game when Missilou or Maouche run out of steam. 

I think Lang would be good up top so another right winger with pace and abit of quality would be good. 

Dont think loads needs changing but few tweaks and we should be more than capable of top 7. 

Pretty good summary for me, Iverson for all the positives will not come and claim a ball in the air and we've been done a few times from corners that he should of dealt with, no doubt he's won us more points than he's lost but he's a big unit and needs to be bossing those situations, teams have watched him and every set piece seems to be swung in to their big guys who seem to go unchallenged a lot of the time.

I'd also like to see Lang up top in fact I'd of been tempted to bring Branger on out wide yesterday instead of Miller and push Lang up top as Exeter seemed to struggle with him at times.

Definitely need a Nicky Law type in there though who was the best midfielder on the pitch again yesterday like he was in the Bradford games last season. If we have him for Maouche yesterday we win that game easily.

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Pretty good summary for me, Iverson for all the positives will not come and claim a ball in the air and we've been done a few times from corners that he should of dealt with, no doubt he's won us more points than he's lost but he's a big unit and needs to be bossing those situations, teams have watched him and every set piece seems to be swung in to their big guys who seem to go unchallenged a lot of the time.

I'd also like to see Lang up top in fact I'd of been tempted to bring Branger on out wide yesterday instead of Miller and push Lang up top as Exeter seemed to struggle with him at times.

Definitely need a Nicky Law type in there though who was the best midfielder on the pitch again yesterday like he was in the Bradford games last season. If we have him for Maouche yesterday we win that game easily.

Pogs was like that at first, takes time.

1 hour ago, jsslatic said:

I've seen the 'game management' stuff trotted out a lot all season. I will stand to be corrected but I can only see we've dropped points from games we've been leading 4 times all season - yesterday, Stevenage, Lincoln and Tranmere. 

My biggest disappointment yesterday was we should have been out of sight before the first equaliser. 

It's a fair point, but I don't necessarily mean about preventing us losing leads.  Of the 7 defeats, 6 of them have been by 1 goal.  Can't help but thinking an experienced player in the middle who's controlling the game could have turned some of those defeats into draws and the draws into wins.

Defence is doing reasonably well, and we're scoring goals - our goal difference is 7th best I think.  Just feel an old head running that midfield could make the small difference needed to keep us running in the top 7. 

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It's a fair point, but I don't necessarily mean about preventing us losing leads.  Of the 7 defeats, 6 of them have been by 1 goal.  Can't help but thinking an experienced player in the middle who's controlling the game could have turned some of those defeats into draws and the draws into wins.

Defence is doing reasonably well, and we're scoring goals - our goal difference is 7th best I think.  Just feel an old head running that midfield could make the small difference needed to keep us running in the top 7. 

This is exactly where i’m at.

The goal difference isn’t great, and  crucially when we do lose it’s by the odd goal. I don’t think we’re far off, but I think your right we need another organiser other than Clarke. 

None of our full-backs are good enough defensively to stop crosses coming in and the 'keeper doesn't command his area; think both of those things need to change for us to reach the playoffs.

We could do without giving away so many daft free-kicks in our own half too - Hunt & Edmundson two of the biggest culprits. 

They're not bad players; just average League Two ones. Work to do on the training ground and / or in the transfer market...

16 hours ago, League one forever said:

It seems to go two ways. 

Keep doing what we've been doing. It was going OK until yesterday and even yesterday could have easily gone differently......

7 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Well, that old head could/should be Jose, BUT.......

49 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

None of our full-backs are good enough defensively to stop crosses coming in and the 'keeper doesn't command his area; think both of those things need to change for us to reach the playoffs.

We could do without giving away so many daft free-kicks in our own half too - Hunt & Edmundson two of the biggest culprits. 

They're not bad players; just average League Two ones. Work to do on the training ground and / or in the transfer market...

Surely dummingan, Hunt, Hamer and Taylor are good enough for this level ? 

42 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Just shows how people's opinions differ, yesterday I was saying how I thought Hunt was improving game on game, one of us must be wrong. 

I felt he played well yesterday, not sure what he did wrong tbh, certainly improved on his early season form.