36 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Phil Brown not enjoying his time abroad apparently and has a get out clause in his contract which he only recently extended but waiting for a job ‘up north’ in the UK, the other being Kevin Nolan. Doubt any of the two would accept the way AL treats people though

Would take brown over clark and coyle any day of the week not great by all means though. 

All very underwhelming isn’t it! 

Phil Brown has shown interest in the gig at least a couple of times before but I suspect he would want a bit of a budget to work with, like many of the other potential candidates.  He was in the running for the job before LJ got the nod but wanted a fair wedge as a bonus for avoiding relegation hence why Corney turned to LJ.

And I too would take him over the likes of Clark and Coyle.

Edited by johnafoafc

7 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Phil Brown not enjoying his time abroad apparently and has a get out clause in his contract which he only recently extended but waiting for a job ‘up north’ in the UK, the other being Kevin Nolan.

What a time to be alive!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Phil Brown not enjoying his time abroad apparently and has a get out clause in his contract which he only recently extended but waiting for a job ‘up north’ in the UK, the other being Kevin Nolan. Doubt any of the two would accept the way AL treats people though

Would take brown over clark and coyle any day of the week not great by all means though. 

Interesting.  I've warmed to Brown in recent times and thought he did well at Southend (albeit with a decent budget to get them promoted).  He's certainly had some bad jobs but had some good one's too.  I'd prefer Nolan to him though, did well getting Notts to the playoffs the season before last and, as it's turned out, was harshly sacked by an owner who clearly had a screw loose.

Compared to Clark who hasn't really done a good job wherever he's been (underachieving at Huddersfield and average at Kilmarnock are his best efforts) or Coyle who after an admittedly impressive spell at Burnley has gone rapidly backwards since, I'd take Brown or Nolan.

Clearly those managers are interested because there's not a lot of work around and they're looking for an opportunity to reignite their managerial career.  I can't help but thinking that they're naive if they think their CV is going to look better after being with us though.  I simply don't trust Marco to help them make a success of it.

8 hours ago, adamoafc said:

But isn't it sunny abroad? 

If it was a straight fight between Brown, Nolan, Clark and Coyle, I think I'd take Brown. Clark should never be anywhere near managing a football club again. Coyle has managed 8 clubs unsuccessfully (apart from Bolton/Burnley) in 14 years and has been out of work for just over a year. They'll both be desperate to get back into the game, but we don't want someone who is just desperate. They'll be too easily manipulated by Little and Large. Nolan, despite not doing too badly at Notts County isn't that experienced whereas Brown is, so he'd get my vote.

Having said all that, I guess we all just wait for someone unknown French wallah to rock up a week or two before the season starts with a squad of complete unknowns drafted in from various French colonies with a firm belief by AL/ML that they are Premier League class.

Edited by Bristolatic

23 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Having said all that, I guess we all just wait for someone unknown French wallah to rock up a week or two before the season starts with a squad of complete unknowns drafted in from various French colonies with a firm belief by AL/ML that they are Premier League class.

This has been my expectation since Wild left, which is why the Sol Campbell rumours were (relatively) a pleasant surprise.

If the new guy is going to see interference anyway, aren't we better going with someone who wouldn't object to this, rather than someone who would? The latter just invites a bust up in x weeks/months time, and we're back to square one. Appoint Mo basically!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, oafcmetty said:

If the new guy is going to see interference anyway, aren't we better going with someone who wouldn't object to this, rather than someone who would? The latter just invites a bust up in x weeks/months time, and we're back to square one. Appoint Mo basically!

Lemmy's should make it clear that they will be interfering rather than pretending that they won't.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Brown would be a very sensible appointment.

Has it come to that?
Not in his own right, just within in the candidates rumoured to be in the running.
Dire and uninspriing with the usual managerial merry go round so far.

24 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Spot On.

Would be a waste of time appointing a manager in a "normal sense". Most have quite inflated egos and would clash very quickly. The carousel would just carry on turning ever faster.

There needs to be complete honesty from the owner with whoever he is going to appoint e.g. "you must expect owner/others involvement in team affairs"

That said, it still might not work - I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again; don't underestimate the "culture clash" too - we may well struggle to pin any of the usual applicants down for any length of time before clashes, and departures, occur again.

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Interesting.  I've warmed to Brown in recent times and thought he did well at Southend (albeit with a decent budget to get them promoted).  He's certainly had some bad jobs but had some good one's too.  I'd prefer Nolan to him though, did well getting Notts to the playoffs the season before last and, as it's turned out, was harshly sacked by an owner who clearly had a screw loose.

Compared to Clark who hasn't really done a good job wherever he's been (underachieving at Huddersfield and average at Kilmarnock are his best efforts) or Coyle who after an admittedly impressive spell at Burnley has gone rapidly backwards since, I'd take Brown or Nolan.

Clearly those managers are interested because there's not a lot of work around and they're looking for an opportunity to reignite their managerial career.  I can't help but thinking that they're naive if they think their CV is going to look better after being with us though.  I simply don't trust Marco to help them make a success of it.

Brown's an absolute weapon but he'd probably be alright if he was our absolute weapon.... 

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

They'll be too easily manipulated by Little and Large.

Do we not need to get beyond this now?

It's what's going to happen. 

Surely we NEED a manager who'll be alright being told what to do a lot by the owners and get on with the rest of his job.....? 

40 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Yeah. Hadn't seen this... 

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Brown's an absolute weapon but he'd probably be alright if he was our absolute weapon.... 

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Do we not need to get beyond this now?

It's what's going to happen. 

Surely we NEED a manager who'll be alright being told what to do a lot by the owners and get on with the rest of his job.....? 

Agree Harry but therein lies the problem.

Your second post immediately cancels your first i.e. Brown would not fit into the latter category. In fact, not many would. You are, by default, limiting your "talent pool" to select from.

• Like 1