Bury: Minutes to Midnight

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While its been coming, and in order to protect the integrity of the competiton had to be done, its sad all round.

What an utter shambles. Football ownership, especially in the lower leagues, needs to be shaken up to stop some chancer like Dale taking ownership of the club.

Sad to see them go. Always liked our derby games (probably helps we've had a good record against them over the years). Would much rather play them than some no-mark fucking non-league team on a bank roll up through the leagues (FGR, Salford).

18 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Bolton now get 15 days extension, but Bury don't.

Is there no way Bury could have played their youth team like them?

Bury got their 14 day notice (which is what Bolton have) 18 days ago.

Sad news, but hardly unexpected. They've learned the hardest of ways that chucking crazy money at players way beyond their financial capabilities was going to come back and bite them on the arse.

The EFL don't come out of this with much credit, either. Surely to God, with the Oystons at Blackpool, the loony at Orient, Anderson at Bolton and Dale at Bury, don't they even have an inkling that they're not probing enough?

I really feel for Bury's supporters; it could have been us 15 years ago and I know how I felt then. It would have broken my heart to see my club disappear and I'm scared it could still happen. 

Some transparency, please, Abdallah because we have no idea how sustainable our position is. Gigg Lane will be place of morbidity and total dejection; I don't want BP to end up the same. No platitudes, no slowly slowly, no hedging around meaningless statements, just the truth.

36 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Bolton now get 15 days extension, but Bury don't.

Is there no way Bury could have played their youth team like them?

Bury have already had the 14 days. Bolton had the withdrawal of membership notice suspended as it looked like they had a buyer in the wings 

23 minutes ago, Zorrro said:

Businesses fail all the time. It’s shit for the people directly affected, but another one will take its place.

It’s the bollocks of the jungle out there.

Is that really your line of thinking? Genuinely intrigued to know.

I mean, you're not wrong strictly speaking...

The problem simply stated is that the players in the lower leagues are paid more than football clubs can afford.  It is sad for Bury but surely their demise is a wakeup call for clubs to pay less in wages.  Bolton look like following them but you only have debts you can't repay if you spend more than you earn.

2 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

Very sad, the EFL need to stand up and be an effective custodian of the game.They have been monitoring the situation at Bury for several years but in reality have just stood by and watched it die.

The EFL are trying to get under 23s into the lower divisions. That really will be the death knell for the likes of us.

6 hours ago, Zorrro said:

Businesses fail all the time. It’s shit for the people directly affected, but another one will take its place.

They shouldn’t be viewed as Tesco and the local corner shop..... heavier regulation of how they operate and stricter rules dictating the sharing of wealth should have been imposed. Personally, I’m in favour of a salary cap too.

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

The EFL are trying to get under 23s into the lower divisions. That really will be the death knell for the likes of us.

This is probably the beginning of that movement, I'd have thought. Once enough have gone and League Two is full of Forest Green's and Salford's...

6 hours ago, Hands on said:

The problem simply stated is that the players in the lower leagues are paid more than football clubs can afford.  It is sad for Bury but surely their demise is a wakeup call for clubs to pay less in wages.  Bolton look like following them but you only have debts you can't repay if you spend more than you earn.

It's clear that the authorities must do more to tackle overspending by clubs so as to make it more normalised for other sides to live within their means.

When a crazy owner comes in, like Stewart Day, and throws money he doesn't have to crack promotion other side's who also want to compete follow suit and the fans blindly back it, with little transparency to scrutinise what's going on until it's too late. (I hope the Trust are taking note of what is happening down the road)

The buck stops at the EFL, who have let two charlatans take over Bury and then spend their way to oblivion. Clubs like those mentioned above - Salford, Fleetwood etc, living off their rich backers don't promote the sort of ethos which is ever going to lead to sensible spending by those whose owners can't truly afford it, yet they're glorified by the press and the League. It's no different to the gambling disease of the game.

The way forward is to enforce a penal system for all overspending clubs, even the ones with rich backers. It shouldn't be fanciful to reject the game of 'whose owner has most money', nor should the EFL place any trust in the goodness of owners.

Macclesfield, Blackpool and Coventry are on Bolton supporters' Clubs in Crisis Whatsapp group. There are other clubs that have been named to join, but the sources are not verified - so it's a bit naughty to mention them I suppose.

6 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

It's clear that the authorities must do more to tackle overspending by clubs so as to make it more normalised for other sides to live within their means.

When a crazy owner comes in, like Stewart Day, and throws money he doesn't have to crack promotion other side's who also want to compete follow suit and the fans blindly back it, with little transparency to scrutinise what's going on until it's too late. (I hope the Trust are taking note of what is happening down the road)

The buck stops at the EFL, who have let two charlatans take over Bury and then spend their way to oblivion. Clubs like those mentioned above - Salford, Fleetwood etc, living off their rich backers don't promote the sort of ethos which is ever going to lead to sensible spending by those whose owners can't truly afford it, yet they're glorified by the press and the League. It's no different to the gambling disease of the game.

The way forward is to enforce a penal system for all overspending clubs, even the ones with rich backers. It shouldn't be fanciful to reject the game of 'whose owner has most money', nor should the EFL place any trust in the goodness of owners.

Great post.

I also think lower league footballers need to get a grip on reality and come to terms with earning a reasonable salary. The problem is its a short career , Hence why some semi professional players refuse to give up their day job to go fully professional.

A solution needs to be found or most lower league clubs will either disappear or be left with no choice than to go semi professional.........  

Very sad day indeed, cant imagine how the Bury fans feel. I live just a couple of miles up the road from Gigg Lane.

We've been heading in that direction in the past and I dreaded us going under.

A lot of Bury fans could see this coming years ago.

I wonder if the Nevilles could have done more?

5 minutes ago, Witty said:

Very sad day indeed, cant imagine how the Bury fans feel. I live just a couple of miles up the road from Gigg Lane.

We've been heading in that direction in the past and I dreaded us going under.

A lot of Bury fans could see this coming years ago.

I wonder if the Nevilles could have done more?

The Nevilles are part of the bigger problem. Rich owners pumping in money, allowing them to achieve success by spending way beyond the club's income. From Real Madrid, Citeh and Chelsea through Bournemouth and Wolves to Fleetwood, Forest Green, Salford and Fylde. Vanity projects which would collapse if the rich backers withdrew. Unfortunately, with no restrictions from the EFL, people like Dale are allowed to run up debts to try and compete and we're seeing the result. 

Restrictions on spending versus football income {gate receipts, net transfer income, TV, merchandise} for All clubs is needed. I'm fully aware that it won't happen. 

I feel for the genuine fans of Bury FC. Yesterday was a sad day for football too. It seems inevitable that more clubs will follow in the near future. Could the richer clubs do more by passing more of the tv money down the leagues? Probably but that alone would not be enough. The EFL have to step in and monitor clubs spending beyond their means.

If we take the emotion out of it, Bury have folded because, as a business, their operating model was flawed and not sustainable.

A sad but inevitable outcome. 

3 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

The Nevilles are part of the bigger problem. Rich owners pumping in money, allowing them to achieve success by spending way beyond the club's income. From Real Madrid, Citeh and Chelsea through Bournemouth and Wolves to Fleetwood, Forest Green, Salford and Fylde. Vanity projects which would collapse if the rich backers withdrew. Unfortunately, with no restrictions from the EFL, people like Dale are allowed to run up debts to try and compete and we're seeing the result. 

Restrictions on spending versus football income {gate receipts, net transfer income, TV, merchandise} for All clubs is needed. I'm fully aware that it won't happen. 

Just so we get this right and blame the right person (as Dale seems to be getting it in the media):

Day ran up the debts and put them on the road to oblivion.

Dale took over and picked the carcass.

Dale may be an unsavoury character, but Day is the person to blame.

8 hours ago, Zorrro said:

Less 134 year old ones do, especially due to mismanagement and laissez faire governance. 

3 minutes ago, OldhamSheridan said:

Just so we get this right and blame the right person (as Dale seems to be getting it in the media):

Day ran up the debts and put them on the road to oblivion.

Dale took over and picked the carcass.

Dale may be an unsavoury character, but Day is the person to blame.

Indeed. I said people like Dale. I wasn't even being Bury specific. 

Archived