Swindon away 🙄

So playing top of the league on Saturday, who have won their last 6 league games on the bounce, are the highest scorers in the division, have our ex favourite ginger one on fire who has netted 17 times in 16 games this season, and have our berated ex manager in charge who has the hump with Al.... What could possibly go wrong!! 

BTW anyone going to be there with me?!! 😂 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

The Corbyn next Prime Minister and us to win at Swindon double pays about 20-1...

Corbyn must be  incredibly short odds then. I'd want 20/1 for either of them happening in a single!

45 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

The Corbyn next Prime Minister and us to win at Swindon double pays about 20-1...

Save your money, the first 5 words is a sure fire guarantee for the bookies cleaning up 😎

27 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I used to think you were a optomist Pete, I suppose realism took over. 

Swindon are a division 2 not a Premieship team, yet we seem to be treating them as unbeatable.

We have seen Doyle score goals here, but let's not forget he was anonymous in many games.

Be just like Latics to sneak a 1 nil win.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Swindon are a division 2 not a Premieship team, yet we seem to be treating them as unbeatable.

We have seen Doyle score goals here, but let's not forget he was anonymous in many games.

Swindon are a 2nd division team you are spot on. They also happen to be a darn sight better football side than us as well. 

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

I used to think you were a optomist Pete, I suppose realism took over. 

Generally, I have been optimistic, even when we've struggled. But I've always looked to see if I can spot something positive on the horizon.

I've never in my life felt like deserting the club I've loved for so long, but since AL and ML took over, I just don't recognise it any more. 

We've got a team of misfits that the Brothers Numbnuts think are world beaters. Not from what I've seen, they're not.

I'll go to Swindon with hope of a result more than expectation and I guess it would be just like us to sneak a scrappy 1-0 win, but I just don't see it happening. 

I just want the love back that has been strangled out of so many of us.

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

When we won 1-0 at Newport, we caught them in a bad patch of form - they've just lost their last 4 in succession, including against us.

Contrast that to Swindon, who are in a superb run of form and I just can't see us getting anything BP.

Of course, I hope you are correct, and if you are I`ll get you a pint because that will be some prediction in present circumstances.

As an aside, it really does make you wonder what went on regarding Wellens. He had us playing excellent football initially - and then it just nosedived, leading to relegation. Presently, he looks like an accomplished manager. We'll probably never know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

10 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

When we won 1-0 at Newport, we caught them in a bad patch of form - they've just lost their last 4 in succession, including against us.

Contrast that to Swindon, who are in a superb run of form and I just can't see us getting anything BP.

Of course, I hope you are correct, and if you are I`ll get you a pint because that will be some prediction in present circumstances.

As an aside, it really does make you wonder what went on regarding Wellens. He had us playing excellent football initially - and then it just nosedived, leading to relegation. Presently, he looks like an accomplished manager. We'll probably never know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Football form can change quickly.

I think we could try to go toe-to-toe with them and attack, probably getting battered in the process.  Or we could sit in to go for a point still with a fair chance of losing.  I think Dino will happily play for a point in order to take our unbeaten run in the league to 6.  I'd go with the 3/5 at the back again.

Zeus

Mills

Hamer

Wheater

Stott

Iacovitti

Fage

McCann

Jones

Akpa Akpro

Smith

Iacovitti's positioning looked really poor on Saturday and if we had Nepomuceno I'd definitely have him in the left wing-back role, but Smith-Brown has shown himself to be even worse that Iacovitti and at least Iacovitti has shown that he can get forward to support our attack on a few occasions.

I'd put Fage in the midfield 3 for balance.  He'd have the legs and energy that the older heads alongside him wouldn't, and hopefully they'd help him keep a cool head.  He'd also give us an option on the right side if we need it.  I think having Sylla in there would make it too defensive a trio and I wouldn't trust Maouche to put a shift in for 90 mins. 

Up front Akpa Akpro can do the dirty work and Smith can have a bit of freedom to try and create something.

I still think we'll lose but that unit might be able to grind out a point.

Whilst Swindon are top and are registering a few good wins with Doyle apparently in great form again under Wellens, Latics have throughout history always managed to throw in the odd really unexpected cracking result.  I can't see us going toe-to-toe with Swindon under Maamria or with the players at our disposal - think we will try and sit in and frustrate them and try and pick them off via Smith (not much else in the team looks dangerous going forwards).

I think they have recently had trouble despatching teams at home, their good wins tend to be away so I am not totally writing this one off. Equally I have seen nothing yet in this Division, every team is pretty much of a muchness, although I have to say I think Latics league position is probably a fair reflection of our ability.

Wellens seems to struggle to find a Plan B if things are not going well on the pitch hence he is in league 2.

Swindon been a happy hunting ground for Latics but can't see us winning - will take a hard fought 1-1 draw this weekend   

33 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Whilst Swindon are top and are registering a few good wins with Doyle apparently in great form again under Wellens, Latics have throughout history always managed to throw in the odd really unexpected cracking result.  I can't see us going toe-to-toe with Swindon under Maamria or with the players at our disposal - think we will try and sit in and frustrate them and try and pick them off via Smith (not much else in the team looks dangerous going forwards).

I think they have recently had trouble despatching teams at home, their good wins tend to be away so I am not totally writing this one off. Equally I have seen nothing yet in this Division, every team is pretty much of a muchness, although I have to say I think Latics league position is probably a fair reflection of our ability.

Wellens seems to struggle to find a Plan B if things are not going well on the pitch hence he is in league 2.

Swindon been a happy hunting ground for Latics but can't see us winning - will take a hard fought 1-1 draw this weekend   

'Apparently' in good form?

He's in league 2 because he was truly shafted by the ownership when he was here and is rebuilding a fledgling managerial career and doing superbly. Was a huge mistake letting him go.

Archived