Squad movements, winter 2019/20

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

If we survive to June, this is how the squad what would the squad  look like on July 1st.? Possibly this?

1. Gary Woods (2021)

3. Alex Iacovitti (2021 plus option)

18. Dylan Fage (2021) ??

21. Marvin Kokos (2021 plus option)

56. Danny Rowe (2021)

43. Reece Gaskell (youth)

37. Lewis McKinney (youth, on loan to Runcorn)

53. Zac Emmerson (youth)

Shockng.

The best thing for us would be that the 🤡’s cut their losses and f*** off. We were almost certainly going nowhere before all this kicked in and  now it’s a definite!!

If anyone has a genuine interest in owning a football club then once this pandemic has burnt out it could well be the right time. 

With very few players on the books and the majority of the non playing staff following AL out of the door it could be the perfect opportunity....blank canvas n all that?

Either that or we probably liquidate!

On 5/1/2020 at 2:00 PM, singe said:

If we survive to June, this is how the squad what would the squad  look like on July 1st.? Possibly this?

1. Gary Woods (2021)

18. Dylan Fage (2021) ??

56. Danny Rowe (2021)

53. Zac Emmerson (youth)

Shockng.

I thought Kokos had gone, possibly Fage and lacovetti too.?

On 5/1/2020 at 2:00 PM, singe said:

1. Gary Woods (2021)

18. Dylan Fage (2021) ??

56. Danny Rowe (2021)

53. Zac Emmerson (youth)

Shockng.

Add Hamer (2022) and Wheater (contract extension triggered to 2021) and we've nearly got a team!

Although with there being no guarantees for football to start again anytime soon, having a very small number of players signed up past June could be essential to the club staying in existance post-virus.

21 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Add Hamer (2022) and Wheater (contract extension triggered to 2021) and we've nearly got a team!

Although with there being no guarantees for football to start again anytime soon, having a very small number of players signed up past June could be essential to the club staying in existance post-virus.

I would expect these ridiculous transfer windows to be adjusted if clubs insist on finishing the season, and possible contract extensions until then.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:15 PM, al_bro said:

I would expect these ridiculous transfer windows to be adjusted if clubs insist on finishing the season, and possible contract extensions until then.

The thing is if you're a player and asked to play for, say, another month, why would you risk it if you are not guaranteed a contract extension. You could be injured and not play for a year.

32 minutes ago, singe said:

The thing is if you're a player and asked to play for, say, another month, why would you risk it if you are not guaranteed a contract extension. You could be injured and not play for a year.

Rolling pay when you'd otherwise be without an income and no prospect of another club signing any time soon.

Risk/reward but it's a mad time to make yourself unemployed.

9 hours ago, jsslatic said:

Rolling pay when you'd otherwise be without an income and no prospect of another club signing any time soon.

Risk/reward but it's a mad time to make yourself unemployed.

But the clubs can't rolling pay because they have no income. 

My take on the ‘If we survive this is how the squad could look like on July 1st.’:

1. Gary Woods (2021)

20. Zeus de la Paz (2020 plus option)

Tom Hamer (2022)

David Wheater (2020 plus option

18. Dylan Fage (2021) 

25. Chris McCann (2020 plus option)

55. Zak Dearnley (2020 plus option)

56. Danny Rowe (2021)

43. Reece Gaskell (youth) 6 week extension? 

53. Zac Emmerson (youth)

Plus I’d try and get these guys back:

Piergianni, Smith, Borthwick-Jackson

And I’d offer these guys a one year contract:

Maouche, Missilou and Sylla

4 hours ago, singe said:

But the clubs can't rolling pay because they have no income. 

Well in that case their contract will terminate at the end of the fixed term. In your post you asked why a player would continue to play if asked given the risk of injury. If the clubs can't afford to pay them then you'd assume they wouldn't be asked.

(Apologies if I've misunderstood naturally)

1 hour ago, jsslatic said:

Well in that case their contract will terminate at the end of the fixed term. In your post you asked why a player would continue to play if asked given the risk of injury. If the clubs can't afford to pay them then you'd assume they wouldn't be asked.

(Apologies if I've misunderstood naturally)

No worries, probably slightly at cross purposes. Basically I am saying a significant of players will not accept playing with a short extension of their contract and no prospect of it being renewed, and plenty of examples in our team.

If half of them don't, but all of Stevenage's do, if we played them in July the that is a farce to the sporting integrity argument. If Stevenage won enough games to stay up with all their players signed, but all the other clubs had players refused there would be all sorts of legal challenges.

Basically, I am sure a significant number of players would refuse a short extension to their contract with no prospect of renewal, even with the risk of no contract next season, and strongly arguing enough players will refuse to affect game outcome and therefore lead to a challenge in results.

13 minutes ago, al_bro said:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/may/08052020-academy-update/

I haven't seen any of these lads play. Have they made any mistakes here? 

Time will tell Al.

I've only seen them 3 or 4 times but they seem to have kept the obvious candidates. McKinney got into good positions but his finishing wasn't always good, and the same applied to Zac Emerson who looked to have all the right attributes, but he seems to have gone missing ??

In reality it's all a bit of a guessing game at this stage in their careers, some will inevitably "slip through the net".

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Time will tell Al.

I've only seen them 3 or 4 times but they seem to have kept the obvious candidates. McKinney got into good positions but his finishing wasn't always good, and the same applied to Zac Emerson who looked to have all the right attributes, but he seems to have gone missing ??

In reality it's all a bit of a guessing game at this stage in their careers, some will inevitably "slip through the net".

Emmerson is a first year scholar (made first team debut at 15!). He's the lad brighton are after. Thought McKinney had a bit about him, Glad they've given Gaskell a 6 week extension hopefully to hove a look at over pre-season. Would not surprise me to see us go and pick one or two back up in august if they put a shift in over the summer or have a growth spurt. We got Kielen Adams back in after releasing him, though that may have been a panic as the Rowe deal went tits up last minute in the summer by all accounts.

17 hours ago, al_bro said:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/may/08052020-academy-update/

I haven't seen any of these lads play. Have they made any mistakes here? 

Big mistakes, looks like short term cost cutting so full time contracts aren't offered.

This almost happened to George Edmundson and look what happened there.

Might as well wrap up the youth team policy, which is what I expect is behind all this.

All in all I have a strong feeling now the club is going into administration. 

Sorry but I can't really fault the club on not giving contracts out to anyone in the present climate.

It may well prove to be a mistake but to commit yourself to added expense at this point in time doesn't seem on.

If it does transpire into being and error it's one of this crowd's smaller ones !

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Big mistakes, looks like short term cost cutting so full time contracts aren't offered.

This almost happened to George Edmundson and look what happened there.

Might as well wrap up the youth team policy, which is what I expect is behind all this.

All in all I have a strong feeling now the club is going into administration. 

Seems unlikely that they're big mistakes. For every George Edmondson there's a few hundred or more that don't come to anything. 

I don't suppose it was possible to give out new contracts and then furlough the recipients immediately. 

Don’t really get this!! 7 weeks from now our 1st team squad will be practically zero.

We’ll need a rake of signings when/if we get up and running again and I would rather give our kids an opportunity before bringing in the usual uninterested dross to which we have been accustomed to...It would surely be cheaper and more cost effective recruiting from within your own academy.

Archived