It was his personality rather has his ability that LJ didn't fancy, wasn't it?

He was certainly the joker in the pack and, for a young manager trying to stamp his authority, that could undermine LJs position. Or was it something else?

i thought it was down to money. He was on top whack and we needed a striker like Rooney.

Still, i can't help it. I really liked him and would love to see him back.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm struggling to recall any set pieces of quality from mr croft....anyone care to refresh my memory?

Maybe not set pieces but turning that Everton player on the half way to unleash a good 35 yrd pass for our goal in the rre is in my box of latics memories.....awwww crofty

There weren't any.

Simpson could whip a ball in, didn't take many in season 2 for whatever reason though.

Didn't Croft put the corner on Smith's head for the goal against Everton?

Edited by oafcmetty

I don't know why players don't get the PFA to look after their affairs. Got to be better than paying a chunk of their earnings to an agent who may not have their interests at heart. After all they must pay a small percentage of their wages to the PFA.

I wouldn't trust the PFA to run a piss-up in a brewery- look at the fuss with Reginald D Hunter at their awards do.

Plus a lot of players use family members as their agents, admittedly with variable degrees of success, but the same could be said for the "professional" ones

Well, he didn't get player of the season for being overweight for half of the season. Was it all an illusion?

Someone must have some stats.

Who provided most assists? Who got in most crosses? Who had the best pass completion rates?

According to the stevenage programme, Croft had joint 4th most assists in the league along side Upson of Yeovil, both with 12. Appart from that I don't know anything.

I don't believe us not re-signing Croft was based on footballing reasons alone. The whole deal with the verbally agreed contract and the short timeframe he had to accept it rang alarm bells. I think the comments about wanting the footballer lifestyle more than wanting to play football were probably aimed at him too.

He was one of our few standouts last term and it's a shame, in my opinion, we didn't do more to keep hold. Johnson's obviously addressing the lack of fitness and Croft would've only benefitted from that.

Edited by longtimeblue

Croft lost his way completely. He has more caps for England than any other player at under 21/20/19/18 etc. He obviously wanted to live the footballers life, but not put in the effort it takes to be a top player.

Yes, market reality. The lower leagues are full of players who fit into three broad categories:

1. Good athletes with limited technical ability.

2. Poor athletes with good technical ability

3. Poor attitude with good technical ability.

I know there are several other shades (not grey, not after that book), but these seem to be the general 'types.'