Micah - this week's raising of hopes

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a fella sat in front of us at the cricket yesterday with a Man City shirt and a New York City FC cap on. Typical American sports franchise marketing where they've merchandise across the world before they've even got a squad together.

When we played Melbourne City the other day there was a middle aged couple sat in their Man City shirts towards the back of the RRE.

Melbourne took the lead and this couple celebrated joyously, almost on a par with how I'd imagine them celebrating City's Aguero Premiership winning moment a couple of years back.

It said so much about the Premier League and the impact of worldwide ownership of multiple football clubs. Horribly wrong.

On this basis, I order you to hate Man City as a vile corporate monster with immediate effect.

To wildly celebrate does seem quite mad but I can appreciate why City fans would like to see Melbourne do well. I don't see too much of a problem with ownership when the clubs are in such diverse locations, another club inside Europe would be too much.

There was a fella sat in front of us at the cricket yesterday with a Man City shirt and a New York City FC cap on. Typical American sports franchise marketing where they've merchandise across the world before they've even got a squad together.

I'd say that is good business sense I.e. To create demand for a product.

To wildly celebrate does seem quite mad but I can appreciate why City fans would like to see Melbourne do well. I don't see too much of a problem with ownership when the clubs are in such diverse locations, another club inside Europe would be too much.

There is when (as i suspect) they have been bought as loophole for the FFP. City get an injury to a striker this season and have spent their alloted budget, they just bring david villa in on a weighted loan deal, or Lampard for a midfielder, etc.

Like Watford, Udinese and Granada?

Latest Sky Bet odds for Richards next club...........interesting 2nd fav's

Liverpool

11/8

Manchester Utd

5/1

Newcastle

5/1

Tottenham

5/1

West Ham

8/1

Arsenal

12/1

Seeing out his contract, playing 2 Capital One Cup games all season

1/100

The guy's a multi millionaire already and I don't think money will be his motivation....he'll want to play for England again and i'm sure he'll move this season.

Another year out of the side will do him no good at all.....here's hoping!!!

If he was interested in his career or England hopes then the lad would have gone on loan last season and definitely engineered a move on loan or permanent this season. City obviously don't want him and openly trying to sell him. On that basis a move is easy unless of course he's digging his heels in.

Unless things are progressing without our knowledge then the lad gives impression he'd be happy to play reserve football, pick up his £30k plus a week until his contract runs down. He'll then find a new home, as most footballers with tenacious agents always do, next summer with an extra £10-£20k a week in his pocket as the new club won't have to pay £3 million in transfers.

Kiss goodbye to our sell-on I'm afraid.

10 appearances last year, 8 the year before.

If he's smart he'll sit out his big money deal at City and move for free - he may not get another big money deal in his career.

Is it all about greed these days?

10 appearances last year, 8 the year before.

If he's smart he'll sit out his big money deal at City and move for free - he may not get another big money deal in his career.

It's not like he's ever likely to be short of money, so is it really that smart to potentially sacrifice another year of a short career?

Is it all about greed these days?

That implies life ever really existed without greed? It's always been about that for vast swathes of humanity. Not saying it's right or wrong, it just is.

It's not like he's ever likely to be short of money, so is it really that smart to potentially sacrifice another year of a short career?

2 years on £50k a week at City = 4 years at Stoke on £25.... not all that different for him if he's not bothered about playing (which evidence suggests he may well not be?)

2 years on £50k a week at City = 4 years at Stoke on £25.... not all that different for him if he's not bothered about playing (which evidence suggests he may well not be?)

If he stays he'll be what,26? and having effectively been out for 3 years. He'd make a lot more by playing this season. If he shows he still has the ability from early in his career he'll have better offers than Stoke.

who's said he's not bothered about playing football??

1. he's been second fiddle to zabaleta since his first injury

2. in his last 4 league games that he's featured in, he's got injured/picked up a knock/limped off in 3 of them!

3. no other club has actually put a solid offer in for him, meaning he can't leave because he's still contracted

4. until a club puts a solid offer on the table and he says yes he wants to go we can't possibly judge him on whether he wants to play football or is happy sitting there?

i think he's had a LOT of bad luck with his playing career imo

EDIT - just realised ive just pointed out the ovbious, most of us oldham fans usually just see the fact he's not benefitted us so decide to slag him off without knowing any of the facts

Edited by kieranmcandrew

That implies life ever really existed without greed? It's always been about that for vast swathes of humanity. Not saying it's right or wrong, it just is.

2 years on £50k a week at City actually = 4000 years at Stoke on £25. By which time the locals may have discovered fire.

who's said he's not bothered about playing football??

1. he's been second fiddle to zabaleta since his first injury

2. in his last 4 league games that he's featured in, he's got injured/picked up a knock/limped off in 3 of them!

3. no other club has actually put a solid offer in for him, meaning he can't leave because he's still contracted

4. until a club puts a solid offer on the table and he says yes he wants to go we can't possibly judge him on whether he wants to play football or is happy sitting there?

i think he's had a LOT of bad luck with his playing career imo

EDIT - just realised ive just pointed out the ovbious, most of us oldham fans usually just see the fact he's not benefitted us so decide to slag him off without knowing any of the facts

I tried to look at it from an England perspective rather than Latics so mine and Micah's interests should have been aligned a little you'd have thought. And in a World Cup year where there was a distinct lack of defenders with the ability to defend, do you think he did as much as he could do to play for England? Player/agent power is often talked about but as far as I can see there's been no attempt from him to engineer a move away in order to get more games and try and get into the England squad. No matter what he may have been promised by Man City he got no games for them despite it being a club that often rotates. In fact, is RB the only position they didn't rotate?? It should have been pretty obvious to him in January the only hope he had of an England squad would be to leave. 6 months of half decent top flight action anywhere in Europe would probably have got him into the squad ahead of Smalling.

Re your point 3 - how do you know for a fact they haven't?