The tide seems to be turning and the wrong person is getting the blame

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The phrase "on the cheap" keeps cropping up. Is there money available to the club that isn't spent on either the day to day running or the playing staff? Where is this money supposedly coming from and where is it going to?

What is the black hole? Or who's pockets are being lined?

Doesn't the club have to show all this in published accounts?

It's so easy to trot these same old accusations out but I don't see any evidence being put forward. Happy to say I'm wrong if someone can prove otherwise?

The phrase "on the cheap" keeps cropping up. Is there money available to the club that isn't spent on either the day to day running or the playing staff? Where is this money supposedly coming from and where is it going to?

What is the black hole? Or who's pockets are being lined?

Doesn't the club have to show all this in published accounts?

It's so easy to trot these same old accusations out but I don't see any evidence being put forward. Happy to say I'm wrong if someone can prove otherwise?

I can't comment on that because I don't know (although some on here might like to guess..).

However, what we do know is that his last two managers have been cheap, unproven, "hope for the best" options, when there were more proven figures available.

To be honest - the players bought in and sold don't bother me that that much. I can accept we're a selling club and are now restricted by the Fair Play rules when it comes to bringing players in. But with that in mind, you're going to need an exceptional manager to make a good team on a low budget.

I'm not saying spend millions on a manager but, in my opinion, if you're a Chairman you occasionally have to splash out a bit of cash to give the club the best opportunity it can have. Now I don't know how much Johnson is on wage-wise, but the difference in wages between him and a more experienced manager are, in my opinion, the kind of figure a football club Chairman needs to dig deep for from time-to-time to give the club a fighting chance.

It certainly feels like we are being run by the administrators at the minute....being stripped of the majority of our assets to repay money outstanding (Developing some of the BP Land, selling Tarkowski and Baxter, pocketing FA Cup money, Appointing cheap options in terms of playing staff, management and coaches).

This will probably be defended by the fact that money was turned down for Korey Smith in Jan. However, I imagine we sold what we felt we could get away with to just about retain our place in this division next year... and losing Smith for £100k was probably too big a risk even for Corney as being relegated would cost us more than that.

I do get the opinion that we gave up on this season in November and it was a matter of consolidating our position in the league but soaking up cash from every opportunity...

Edited by Blue_Guru

Corney has made mistakes it's true and from his financial point of view buying Latics was his biggest! He has propped up the club for, what is it, ten years? He hasn't invested as much as probably most of us would like, but for someone who doesn't come from this area, he should be congratulated for keeping the club going. Basically we wouldn't have a club without him and for those who point to Mr Salford, he wanted us to relocate to Salford and given all the hissy fits when a possible move to the bottom of Broadway was mooted, I don't think we want that do we? However, if anyone is aware of a brain dead moneybags knocking about then point him to Boundary Park and I'm sure he will receive a warn welcome!

Guest Scratch2000uk

He saved us 10 years ago and I would love to see corney bought out but only by somebody who actually has an interest in the football and not just a project with other ideas such as koukash. We signed turner for 20k ;) does that count haha?

Other than that we don't spend but how many clubs like us do? Don't overspend is the key to success, yeovil last season didn't pay for a single one of their players and went up, can be done with the right players sadly we don't have enough

I though you just said football was a business and nothing else? Who in their right mind would buy Oldham for the love of it? Nobody. I think the stumbling point is the price Brassbank values us at, as a business, we're worth :censored: all. If the right offer came in, they would be off in a flash. let's not kid ourselves, Corney's just the secretary come babysitter of his mates investment. He probably has no final say on anything.

Corney has made mistakes it's true and from his financial point of view buying Latics was his biggest! He has propped up the club for, what is it, ten years? He hasn't invested as much as probably most of us would like, but for someone who doesn't come from this area, he should be congratulated for keeping the club going. Basically we wouldn't have a club without him and for those who point to Mr Salford, he wanted us to relocate to Salford and given all the hissy fits when a possible move to the bottom of Broadway was mooted, I don't think we want that do we? However, if anyone is aware of a brain dead moneybags knocking about then point him to Boundary Park and I'm sure he will receive a warn welcome!

Where did you hear he wanted to move us to Salford ? He did say we needed a new stadium but he also said he wouldnt move us out of Oldham, whether he would of kept his word is a different matter but lets be honest all the promises made by the 3 amigos havent exactly come to fruition so why should we be so quick to judge Koukash ? I will go along with the train of thought that Corney is just the front for the other two he doesnt come across as anything other than blitz and gazals teaboy.

The plain truth is that with falling gates the budget for wages is falling. LJ can only bring in what we can pay for within the budget. Look how much more Tarky is getting in relation to the reputedly small fee we got for him.

At Christmas Corney must have felt as I did that league 1 football was secure. His 'vision' is to build that stand and reverse the declining gate income which, will also make a sale of the club more likely. A nice new stand might not help us if we are in league 2.

Corney said that Koukash wanted to move us to Salford and this was one of the reasons that everything came to a halt.

Where did you hear he wanted to move us to Salford ? He did say we needed a new stadium but he also said he wouldnt move us out of Oldham, whether he would of kept his word is a different matter but lets be honest all the promises made by the 3 amigos havent exactly come to fruition so why should we be so quick to judge Koukash ? I will go along with the train of thought that Corney is just the front for the other two he doesnt come across as anything other than blitz and gazals teaboy.

he doesnt even own salfords ground if I was a Salford Reds fan I would be more worried about the future of their rugby franchise, koukash interest in oldham and now rochdale could have bigger implications for rugby folk everybody just assumed he wanted it the other way round.

It certainly feels like we are being run by the administrators at the minute....being stripped of the majority of our assets to repay money outstanding (Developing some of the BP Land, selling Tarkowski and Baxter, pocketing FA Cup money, Appointing cheap options in terms of playing staff, management and coaches).

This will probably be defended by the fact that money was turned down for Korey Smith in Jan. However, I imagine we sold what we felt we could get away with to just about retain our place in this division next year... and losing Smith for £100k was probably too big a risk even for Corney as being relegated would cost us more than that.

I do get the opinion that we gave up on this season in November and it was a matter of consolidating our position in the league but soaking up cash from every opportunity...

I have said for several years that Simon Corney is the administrator protecting the position of TTA.

3TA have ruined us really in my opinion.... Even after the Moores disaster we still had the land (well the council did)....

Now what are we.... The same loss making business with no assets and tons of debts...

By not delivering their visions they wrecked us..

It would take a small fortune to buy us now I would imagine for the reduced land mass...

A move to salford sounds attractive at this point in time to be frank compared to the current slow rot...

Edited by oafc0000

We've gone from signing players like Jose Baxter to Terry Dunfield, JP Kissock and Danny Philliskirk. The latter being brought in to basically replace Baxter right under our nose during the manager's honeymoon period, not only was it tolerated, but I actually read posts from fans praising it! Consider the fact that we only just survived relegation last season with a player like Baxter and maybe the lightbulb will switch on to why we're powderpuff at the minute.

Edited by PlayItLivo

3TA have ruined us really in my opinion.... Even after the Moores disaster we still had the land (well the council did)....

Now what are we.... The same loss making business with no assets and tons of debts...

By not delivering their visions they wrecked us..

It would take a small fortune to buy us now I would imagine for the reduced land mass...

A move to salford sounds attractive at this point in time to be frank compared to the current slow rot...

They've admitted that they have made mistakes but some things were out of their hands. The rebuild of BP didn't happen because of the massive financial crisis which they couldn't of predicted & then the Failsworth fiasco they got promises from the council we could move there for it only then to be blocked. So we took alternative measure of slowly re-doing BP then to be told we could move to Failsworth after all. To blame it all on them, is unfair. Not to say that they are blameless, as they are to an extent.

Corney's an easy target - but I don't think he's in it for the money...

LJ has to take the blame for changing the whole style of the team during the season, some of the players who've gone he couldn't help, but why has he become so negative? When we went to Rotherham (and could easily have won, even with 10 men), we had Lanzoni & Mills at full-back, Sid & Monty wide - pace and quality - and now only Harkins with any quality, and no pace in their places. Of those players who've gone, we didn't seem to want to bring Mills back, and I still dont understand letting Sid go, he had potential at least, and if there were off-field problems, that's part of the manager's job to deal with, not just sacking him off. He said he wanted to stay and fight for his place, and wasn't given the chance. I'd rather have him on the bench as an option than Millar... LJ has shown a lot more faith in Dayton and McDonald, for two who haven't exactly produced. He said we looked weak, so why play Winchester against physical teams? and having talked about building a team, now he wants more loan players??

I don't even know what his tactics are now - he either has to go for real cloggers and makes us hard to beat, if not pretty to watch, or tries to get players who have some pace and hunger to play an attacking game - at the moment we're neither, and its not looking good

And about as popular as a nazi float in a gay parade.

not by everyone brand new stadium in failsworth or what we have now i know which id prefer 3 miles was the move bp is like a decaying old church that wouldnt look out of place in league 2 - hold on ......

Corney's an easy target - but I don't think he's in it for the money...

Course he his... Without the land and the chance make money the three of them wouldn't have touched us. The land deals might not have gone the way they'd have wanted and I've no doubt Corney wants the best for Oldham/the club, but to say buying/"saving" us wasn't motivated by money is a bit naive.

As for us not being sold to koukash because of a move (which Koukash denied) to Salford, we'd be playing in Outer Mongolia if the price was right.

Course he his... Without the land and the chance make money the three of them wouldn't have touched us. The land deals might not have gone the way they'd have wanted and I've no doubt Corney wants the best for Oldham/the club, but to say buying/"saving" us wasn't motivated by money is a bit naive.

As for us not being sold to koukash because of a move (which Koukash denied) to Salford, we'd be playing in Outer Mongolia if the price was right.

Supporters 'impressed' as New York trio aim to revive Oldham's fortunes

David Conn: 06 March 2004 Independent

Gazal, Blitz and Corney from their base in Flushing, New York, are bright-eyed, enthusiastic, apparently rich. Gazal is American; Blitz, a Londoner, Chelsea fan and childhood friend, went over to stay with him in New York for a couple of months in 1990, to find Gazal setting up a mobile phone business at the dawn of the industry. "Fourteen years later I'm still there," Blitz told me this week, and the pair have done well, becoming distributors for T-Mobile and AT&T from premises in Long Island and LA, available to view on their company's website, www.cncg.com.

Corney, 10 years younger, an Arsenal fan who now, three days a week, does the well known commute from North London to Oldham, will be more involved day-to-day. Blitz, on his way to West Ham on Thursday to look at their conferencing operation, told me that as an expat he missed his football, and always kept his season ticket at Stamford Bridge. He and Gazal had watched English clubs flopping into administration and decided they would like to buy one, looked at Hull first, then landed on Oldham. Corney said: "It's very expensive to get involved in American football, but it's a childhood dream to run an English club."

As Oldham are losing money and struggling for crowds in the lee of the Manchester clubs, there has to be an angle, and there is: 22 acres of land around Boundary Park. "The first day we went to Oldham, we were shown the land," Blitz said, "and we decided right then we would do the deal."

Their idea is that the club will usually need money to keep going, rather than make a profit, so they will develop the land for offices, a hotel, conferencing and banqueting, although their plans are not yet concrete. "We're researching it, visiting other clubs to see what they do, then we will decide," Blitz added.

He said that Oldham, a large enough town, has too few such facilities, or places even to hold a wedding, and loses business to Manchester. They want the development to make money for the club and, in the end, be worth something, which will make money for them.

Blitz said they had been involved in real estate in the United States, building the warehousing for their own business: "We're not novices." They are paying £4.6m more for the ground and land, while guaranteeing that Boundary Park will still be a football ground in 10 years' time.

"Obviously we want it to be there a lot longer than that," Corney said. "We believe we can make this work. We want, within a short time, to be a strong First Division club with good facilities."

They expect the property developments to cost between £7m and £12m; Corney said Gazal and Blitz are partly using their own money, partly borrowing.

Of course he was in it for the money, but I am certain for the ride too.

But you cannot ignore what happened in the intervening 10 years.

We are on about PLan Z at the moment.

Events Dear Boys, Events.

They will not make anywhere near the money the originally intended.

Profit is not a dirty word. We need profit to further invest in the team. We have not made a profit (after ALL costs) in years.

If SC was in it solely for the money, he would have bailed out years ago. He should get the plaudits he deserves for sticking around so long. How many fair weather fans have desserted us. He stuck by us.