New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reluctant to prejudge any appointment.

Dowie is my preferred choice. But I fully get that he had different resources last time around.

I've no real objection to Kuqi. The guy put a shift in here, played a huge number of games for his country and has already managed. Albeit in something of a maverick kind of way.

Danny Wilson's been round the block. But might bring us a little bit of stability. As could the likes of Papa Johnson.

An untried rookie is a long shot. But Little Johnson improved us and, I think, genuinely lifted the club, although I'd never even heard of him as a player. Even Dickov gave us a few months of hope.

I've never been comfortable with a player-manager role. I think the playing detracts from the managing. But the right quality of player with the right back room support could work.

Last time around Phil Brown was the one character I didn't want. He's actually done okayish at Southend with Penney as assistant.

I just hope we get lucky. And the luck lasts.

Kuqi interviewed for the last job and said that we would "break them" to get them in shape it didn't go down well. Some players will respond to that others won't.

Didn't Dowie do the same tho? I'm sure he had the players in for extra sessions - boxing and swimming etc - and I'm sure I read it somewhere that the players complained they couldn't take their kids to school etc as they 'usually' started training at 10!

That said didn't someone on here say that they'd heard Wilson shouting back at DH calling him a dickhead when he questioned something he'd done wrong?

I guess we have to face facts, we're on the bones of our arses in relation to cash n playing staff to some degree and beggers can't be choosers ... There isn't anybody and I include Scholes in this that won't jump ship when some two bit chairman comes offering a few quid more!!

Didn't Dowie do the same tho? I'm sure he had the players in for extra sessions - boxing and swimming etc - and I'm sure I read it somewhere that the players complained they couldn't take their kids to school etc as they 'usually' started training at 10!

!

No Dowie didn't say he would "break them" he had them in the swimming pool at 8 most days he did have them fit but we suffered a lot of injuries that season. The type of things dowie did then were ahead of their time back in 2003 but are probably standard now.

I'm not a big fan of going back to a previous manager, but if we had to I wouldn't begrudge Dowie having another shot.

I think the best chance of genuine success is to get lucky with a rookie manager. But in reality I don't really care any more. We go through too many managers. I would just like a manager who enjoys managing the club, tries to improve the team and bring through a few youth players into the first team.

But in reality I don't really care any more. We go through too many managers. I would just like a manager who enjoys managing the club, tries to improve the team and bring through a few youth players into the first team.

Nail on the head. If we get someone who does well then there's minimal chance that he'll stay for more than a couple of years.

I'm not a big fan of going back to a previous manager, but if we had to I wouldn't begrudge Dowie having another shot.

I think the best chance of genuine success is to get lucky with a rookie manager. But in reality I don't really care any more. We go through too many managers. I would just like a manager who enjoys managing the club, tries to improve the team and bring through a few youth players into the first team.

And that could well be a problem with Dowie, he's always been something of an opportunist.

Depsite BP1960s cryptic clues there is no matching candidates appearing on the betting lists....which given that a source is letting some things slip I'd have thought we might have seen a name or two appear on the odds.

A player/manager could be interesting, but I think it would be safe to say that they may only play to the end of this season and then go as a manager full-time.

Without any names in the frame, then it looks as though Kuqi / Dowie / Holden are the favourites:

Holden - no for me, not done enough in 3 games to give hope. Doesn't sound like a manager.

Dowie - not sure. Loved him first time round, but out of the game for a long time. Never sure about going back, and I think people who are supportive want the Dowie from 2003 back.

Kuqi - of the three, probably my favourite. Big character, could end up being a great manager, and I'd have thought a recommendation from the national coach was worth something.

The only Premier League strikers over 30 I can find are

Crouch, Shola Ameobi, Glenn Murray, Samaras, Carlton Cole, Defoe, Zamora,

Have I missed anyone?

Is Kevin Philips still registered as a player? He'd be good.

Is it really so few?!

God, this makes me feel ancient.

Well Corney and Dowie would have met yesterday or will meet today so tomorrow could be white smoke from Boundary Park or Dowie out the race.

I still think the latter and surprised this ones dragged on as long as it is because Dowie will want a 2-year deal at least, will be asking for a decent salary and want a budget to strengthen. If we're providuhg those then could exciting but I doubt we can afford two of the three.

Kuqi will be another Di Canio.

I'd prefer Sheridan as he's done brilliantly at Plymouth on a budget, got the likes of Reid firing ... and if I'm honest I still think he would have got us up. Our budgets lower than when he was last here - no Hughes, no Wellens - but that's something comforting about a legend of our club achieving success.

The only Premier League strikers over 30 I can find are

Crouch, Shola Ameobi, Glenn Murray, Samaras, Carlton Cole, Defoe, Zamora,

Have I missed anyone?

Is Kevin Philips still registered as a player? He'd be good.

Wasn't Defoe signed for a fee earlier this season so rule him out?!

Only two nearing the end of their ability at Prem level with the money to afford to take a massive cut and play at our level whilst taking first steps in management would be Crouch and Zamora from that list. Carlton Cole - never a manager.

Joe Cole perhaps who can play as a striker and probably trying to get out of Villa. Signed on a free, probably has a managerial release clause and has been doing his coaching badges since 2013.

Personally think its all absolute rubbish. If there is a Prem striker looking to manage us then they played in the Prem league a few seasons back and either in Champ or below or abroad hence still playing.

I've looked at each of the Prem squads for a striker above 30 and can't see any prepared to do this....!

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a tall manager. Somebody who could look down on potential signings and see that they are not big enough.

If a player is currently playing in the Premiership or Championship and applies for and gets the job does his club have to loan him to us? How does it work outside the transfer window for him to be a player manager?

Can't see it being Peter Crouch bit if it was a bet on 6th place would be worthwhile.

Just read online that apparently Fergie Snr has been in contact with the board recommending Fergie Jr. as manager.

This is what I heard within hours of LJ being touted as the new Barnsley manager; When LJ was in talks with Barnsley, Fergie Snr was then talking to SC about an immediate return to management for his son who was negotiating his exit from Peterborough. Oldham were on a roll at the time - excluding the Colchester and Orient results - and recommended Darren to keep momentum going plus support with player loans via his connection with United.

Nothing happened so I thought it was another rubbish rumour. Interesting though that the article in The Sun confirmed Fergie Snr as the one in contact rather than Jr. himself.

Also mentions Kuqi and Hodgson...so maybe a rehash of loads of rumours.

I'd rather have Fergie Jr as manager rather than Kuqi.

Just read online that apparently Fergie Snr has been in contact with the board recommending Fergie Jr. as manager.

This is what I heard within hours of LJ being touted as the new Barnsley manager; When LJ was in talks with Barnsley, Fergie Snr was then talking to SC about an immediate return to management for his son who was negotiating his exit from Peterborough. Oldham were on a roll at the time - excluding the Colchester and Orient results - and recommended Darren to keep momentum going plus support with player loans via his connection with United.

Nothing happened so I thought it was another rubbish rumour. Interesting though that the article in The Sun confirmed Fergie Snr as the one in contact rather than Jr. himself.

Also mentions Kuqi and Hodgson...so maybe a rehash of loads of rumours.

I'd rather have Fergie Jr as manager rather than Kuqi.

I don't think the next manager is even in the betting.

I have been away a bit lately and am currently in Papua New guinea so have not read all the 700 or so posts but with the level of Dowie\ Kuqi speculation paste what SC wrote at the time of the LJ appointment and wonder what would be different today with the 2 main supsects?

I know nothing stays the same forever but this leads me to think the appointment will be another surprise.

SC: We spoke to Dowie, but simply couldn’t get near what he wanted. We considered a part-time option but it is clear that would have been unworkable. After that it was a pretty uninspiring list of applicants compromising of such ‘personalities’ as Stan Ternant, John Gregory, Brian Little etc.. Shefki Kuqi was interviewed but didn’t impress enough, however he congratulated the club on their new appointment today. Phil Brown was considered, but his public persona is also his private one and was definitely a no go.