FT - Walsall 1 Oldham 1

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would of loved a win, but I am really glad that there seems to be a positive vibe after that performance after all the negative nonsense. It's prob already been mentioned but anyone know what happened to green? And has anyone one changed their pre season predictions?

It a big improvement on last seasons trip there against a side who are tipped to do ok this season and considering are very own experts thought we would get slaughtered its a good result.

Boro doesn't count but hopefully we can build on this against Fleetwood.

Out of interest at the top of a Barnsley message board is a thread titled Sack the idiot...

Well done Latics. Good point

Cassidy was immense, he'll be feeling it tomorrow. Great cross for the goal. Him and Turner didn't really click, but Forte showed exactly why we shouldn't be selling him.

Dunn is a baller.

Croft was disappointing.

Burn had a good debut, him and Wilson looked decent together.

Cassidy was tremendous...unplayable. I was tired just watching him he worked his bollocks off!

Turner wasn't great but the rest of the team played awesome second half.

Was a strange one second half we had them absolutely rattled for 10-15 minutes, seemed the goal was inevitable then the formation seemed to change and Cassidy went on his own up top? Me and a mate of mine were bemused as we had them on the ropes then seemed to step back. Worked out in the end though!

Dunn lol I thought it was too soon but he had a great little cameo...get him fit he'll piss this league.

Forte had about 3 touches and one was a goal...happy days.

Burn looked good, couple vital tackles and 1 VITAL block in the first half where Walsall would have probably gone 2 up.

Main concern in opening 20-30 was defensively on the wings...we looked clueless at times and they seemed to have a spare man wide each time. Needs addressing. Other than that a good performance overall.

Thought Walsall looked a decent side, Their number 10 Sawyers was a class above most of the match. Went past us for fun.

Aside from the 1st 15 mins where defensively we were pants, that was a decent battling performance. Said at half time I couldn't see where our goals were going to come from, but we came out and totally bossed the 2nd half and with a little less of the strange decisions from the ref we could have took all 3 points, having said that I dont think the ref was overly bad. I am glad that chance fell to Forte, sublime touch and deadly accurate.

Great vocal support from the fans although I didnt get the "stand up for the Walsall 3", especially after the impeccable minutes silence which should have been enough, each to their own I suppose.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that! Second half was outstanding, Dunn was hilarious, he seems to slow down when he runs but the Walsall players couldn't get the ball off him!

Cassidy got better and better and his cross for JF's stunning finish was brilliant

First half was a little sketchy at the back and too many times good possession in midfield came to nothing. Their goal was a cracking finish although they were allowed to create the chance too easily. Second half we took charge and when you can bring on Dunn and Forte and Philliskirk you know you've got a decent squad

There has been so much negative bollocks on this site and some of the comments today were hilarious, one pillock wrote off Winchester after 15 minutes "totally useless, get him off" ffs !!! Aside from a few muppets the support was fantastic and very loud. Walsall fans and staff were the usual friendly bunch and they will have been appreciative of the perfectly observed minutes silence before the game....very moving

Overall, DK has made several good signings, the players were fully committed today and substitutions were spot on, so they were :)

Negatives - A formation straight from the coaching manual, at times Croft was the furthest man forward, Turner is no wide man.

Huge gaps between defence and midfield, better teams than Walsall will have a field day against us.

Coleman's kicking.

Brian Wilson.

Positives - High tempo, pressing all over the pitch.

Johnny Burn

David Dunn

Forte hasn't forgotten how to stick the ball in the net.

About Green, he was put through intense fitness drills before the game.

I reckon they told him not to worry about playing today, just watch Croft, his work rate, and the positions he took up. As that is what will be expected of Green when he plays.

For those not in attendance, Croft was given a free role, popping up everywhere and giving us a numerical advantage most times we attacked. Unlike a previous poster, I liked his radical kind of role!

Edited by Simpo

Walsall will do well this season, so no point disparaging them.

First time our strikers had played together and first time our centre backs had played together, and you could tell in the first 20 minutes. Looked disjointed in midfield and clueless at the back.

Then we got the ball down and settled down. Jones came into the game and Kelly started to sweep the midfield. Burn looked very good and Wilson back to his best. Work to be done still between them but as individuals they both were strong onwards - Burn's tucked in shirt and black boots fitted in with his style of play.

Cassidy sensational throughout, Dunn looked like he was taking the piss out of them at times. The ease at which he glided around their back 4 was a joy to watch. And Forte - who said we should take then money? Showed exactly what he brings to the team as a winger. How many goals has he scored by drifting in off that side? To play him up top is unthinkable.

A couple of points to improve on would be Brian Wilson looked poor and evidently the weak link, Winchester off his game and not sure Croft suited that point of the diamond role. Overall very happy though and lots of promising signs. All that without Green, Murphy or Poleon.

Burn was superb and made two tackles in the first half that kept us in it.

It didn't look as though the formation worked first half, the forwards were pushed far to wide and Croft didn't look comfortable in the middle.

Mills looked out of position for their goal, but I'll need to see it again.

Second half we picked up the pace and the substitutions were good ones. Dunn, especially, has obvious class. There's a very good team in there.

Class support, bar the odd booing for DK. No need for it away from home when everyone is behind the team.

Really enjoyed the game today plenty of positives and think we would have won had we got the equaliser earlier, however I really didn't like how the midfield was set up, we have some quality players in that area for this league and I don't think that formation suits them at all, will be interesting to see who gets picked when they are all match fit

I really do not get

1. The constant criticism of Brian Wilson on here, he' s a decent league one full back, no more than that.

2. The booing of DK, what's that all about. Idiots.

I never heard Darren Kelly booed? His name was sung and he was clapped off at the end.

Wilson was useless. Got skinned by their winger and was crap on the ball. Mills wasn't great on the other side but I thought it was quite clear Wilson was our poorest player today, don't you think?

I never heard Darren Kelly booed? His name was sung and he was clapped off at the end.

Wilson was useless. Got skinned by their winger and was crap on the ball. Mills wasn't great on the other side but I thought it was quite clear Wilson was our poorest player today, don't you think?

I'm normally a critic but I thought he was fine today. Got forward well also.