David Dunn takes interim charge

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Trust need to step in immediately and get absolute clarity on this -

1. When Dunn was signed on July 30th as a "player (for now)" what does "(for now)" mean?

2. If answer to 1 is coaching then was was this in full agreement with Kelly as this could be perceived as undermining Kelly's position as there is no link between the two and Dunn appears to have been a board acquisition.

3. Clarify "interim" in Dunn's appointment - is this an opportunity for Dunn to be permanent manager despite no coaching qualifications or will Dunn be assistant to a permanent manager that they club is recruiting?

4. If Dunn becomes manager is he receiving a manager's wage or is he doing the role for no extra wage to his playing wage?

5. Has Dunn invested any money into the club directly or other associated companies to the club?

6. Why was Holden not allowed to be interim manager if he had the role between Johnson and Kelly and was retained as assistant as part of the future management team?

These are all valid questions and although fans don't have the right to know everything, these are fundamental to the immediate and longer term management infrastructure and roadmap to the club.

I suspected Dunn would get the gig and Redfearn has been here for the last two games scouting to grab the job at Doncaster as we play them next week.

That statement on July 30 is damning. Plans were afoot to integrate Dunn at the club with or without Kelly. That was 65 days into Kelly's tenure and it seems odd as Kelly has no obvious connection to Dunn.

As someone said to me "if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, sounds like a duck then it's highly likely to be a duck".

Edited by Midsblue

The Trust need to step in immediately and get absolute clarity on this -

1. When Dunn was signed on July 30th as a "player (for now)" what does "(for now)" mean?

2. If answer to 1 is coaching then was was this in full agreement with Kelly as this could be perceived as undermining Kelly's position as there is no link between the two and Dunn appears to have been a board acquisition.

3. Clarify "interim" in Dunn's appointment - is this an opportunity for Dunn to be permanent manager despite no coaching qualifications or will Dunn be assistant to a permanent manager that they club is recruiting?

4. If Dunn becomes manager is he receiving a manager's wage or is he doing the role for no extra wage to his playing wage?

5. Has Dunn invested any money into the club directly or other associated companies to the club?

6. Why was Holden not allowed to be interim manager if he had the role between Johnson and Kelly and was retained as assistant as part of the future management team?

These are all valid questions and although fans don't have the right to know everything, these are fundamental to the immediate and longer term management infrastructure and roadmap to the club.

I suspected Dunn would get the gig and Redfearn has been here for the last two games scouting to grab the job at Doncaster as we play them next week.

That statement on July 30 is damning. Plans were afoot to integrate Dunn at the club with or without Kelly. That was 65 days into Kelly's tenure and it seems odd as Kelly has no obvious connection to Dunn.

As someone said to me "if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, sounds like a duck then it's highly likely to be a duck".

Where is this 30th July statement?

There are a few things that seem like Dunn influences recently...I even imagine Yeates was a Dunn signing/recommendation as they both referred to knowing each other in their LP interviews.

Kelly's paid for CV and presentation probably sold it to Corney who thought he had found another cheap golden nugget like LJ. The truth is LJ has some intellect and mouse about him DK just read from a script and Corney and Owen fell for it hook line and sinker.

we are :censored:ing embarrassing.

Quite clearly this has been planned and latics have been cheating on kelly with david dunn.

I would not even be suprised to hear the players new this would happen and threw the game yesterday.

As a fan i feel a proper mug we are run so :censored:ing poorly its shocking.Its like they want to ailenaite the fans. Corney get this club sold and take your useless :censored:ing mates with you. He is still pullin the wool over some of your eyes coz he "saved the club" well wake up corney lovers he is slowly killing us

interim my arse if he gets 6points from 4 games the gig will be his.

I am seriously starting to question why i bother at all.

We are where we are.

No matter how the whole Kelly appointment/dismissal was handled we have a new manager - almost certainly one who will be with us for the rest of the season. My default position is to give him support, because as with anyone charged with looking after the interests of the club I have followed for 55 years , I want them to do well.

So it's a blank page for Dunn for me, chance to write a successful story on it . I've never met him, never picked his footballing brain, but as Latics manager he will get my support and benefit of the doubt until it's obvious that I need to reconsider. That was my position with Kelly ( and yesterday was the time for me to switch from "give him time" to "no he's got to go") and will be now.

New page , new chapter. Not perfect by a long long way but sometimes you just have to get on with things.

This

The board don't give a crap about the fans and have taken us for mugs this season. Firstly the whole new stand debacle and secondly everyone knew as soon as Dunn came in it was only a matter of time til he got the job!!

Don't get me started on Barry Owen, putting his finger to his lips and telling fans to sit down when they vented their anger towards the board yesterday fans are entitled to their say, you are an absolute clown you are everything that is wrong with our club you are a PR disaster every time you open your mouth!!

The question is who made the ultimate decision on his appointment and why wasn't something done about it there and then? This feels like one big cover up for a big cock up!

Think it's pretty obvious SC has the final decision.

But he'd have been backed by the Board fully when he made it.

Remember how when he appointed LJ, he got him in for a few one-to-one interviews with other officials (without sharing his opinion) to see if they were as impressed as he was...

It's not just a cheap option with our appointments.

They've been trying to do good business - which they did with LJ, and Dickov to a point in terms of his Cup run.

Any experienced guy out there - that is within our range - will have most likely had experience of a huge failure and split the fans.

Some of the expectations on here were to be frank, laughable. It's not that Dowie, for example, wasn't a cheap option; he was a very expensive option and too much of a gamble I imagine.

The guy that went to Crawley (Mark Yates?) was a good fit on paper, had strong experience of doing well on low budgets, conjuring cup runs, and lower-league player knowledge for signings..., but he was was slagged off aplenty on here...

But that was the quality of candidate we were dealing with... going for an 'experienced' manager. His agent, on Twitter, gave our fans some stick with regards our expectations. That probably indicates the criticism put the club off appointing him. There was lots of criticism...but who else was out there?!!! No names much better - only Holden, Dowie who we couldn't afford, Scholes who turned it down.... Yes there must have been better than Kelly - but how much £ were they demanding. And many of those ppl criticising the likes of Yates werre saying names like Adkins?!!!!!!

...and then someone on here was calling for Dean 'relegation' Saunders!!! And you look at some of names of our experienced options via the Latics Facebook page...Christ!

So you've got the choice between an underwhelming, expensive 'has-been' who will split fans from the off - or an up-and-coming coach who will get criticism at first but then, like with LJ, could win ppl over with one press conference and one victory...and like we have to do with players, we could make money off him if he turns out to be half decent and eventually moves on.

Appointing one of the mixed-bag, experienced guys on paper....low chance of making money off him and highly likely to end up with a significant sum to pay him off - as that type of manager will demand a longer contract.

Yates probably should have been appointed - unless he had some demands that were unworkable.

But Corney and the Board saw something in Kelly and went with their gut instinct, like they did with LJ. However, it seems they wanted to see something, an x-factor of sorts, so much in Kelly that they may have convinced themselves there was something there when there wasn't. They read between the lines of his CV very, very positively!!

Let's hope their impression of Dunn was and is more accurate.

Like others on here, I heard he was a Board signing, not Kelly's - and questioned why he'd choose us, if there wasn't a managerial 'carrot' as part of the bargain.

Kelly must have known this. Feel sorry for the guy. But it was just the wrong appointment and a gamble too far - based on gut instinct and coaching badge due diligence.

Edited by IceStationLatic

Where is this 30th July statement?

There are a few things that seem like Dunn influences recently...I even imagine Yeates was a Dunn signing/recommendation as they both referred to knowing each other in their LP interviews.

Kelly's paid for CV and presentation probably sold it to Corney who thought he had found another cheap golden nugget like LJ. The truth is LJ has some intellect and mouse about him DK just read from a script and Corney and Owen fell for it hook line and sinker.

Sorry I think the "for now" comment was from Mike Keegan but I remember it at the time. Still stinks and whilst Dunn can't do any worse than Kelly, I want to understand what the plans are for recruiting a new manager permanently.

If we secured Dunn on condition he got the gig then who's calling the shots here? He's a great (or was a great) player and it may transfer to coaching but we need a seasoned head with him. If we're not invited applicants then who else we bringing in or is it just Dunn and Holden. Fitness an issue, we could do with Dunn on the pitch and it's obvious we won't progress with Holden calling the shots on the sidelines.

Time will tell but hopefully it's soon this week because we're sinking down the league, It's just 4 points at moment but we need to stop the rot now and turn it around. No short-term, cheap solutions but a clear strategy. Corney needs to step up, take ownership, dump Owen and deliver success

Why is Dunn getting blamed?

If SC offered him, or any other player, a chance at management if things did not work out for Kelly then of course he would take the oppertunity. It does not make Dunn a bastard.

It might mean the SC lost faith in DK early on ..... but that is SC and Kellys fault not Dunns

Edited by Stagger Lee

Why is Dunn getting blamed - If SC offered him, or any other player, a chance at management if things did not work out for Kelly then of course he would take the job. It does not make Dunn a bastard.

It might mean the SC lost faith in DK early on ..... but that is SC and Kellys fault not Dunns

If the suppositions are true it might have made question who he was getting involved with.

It's been said elsewhere but only one thing is clear in this mess... That is that it's those who appointed Kelly in the first place are to blame for it.

What amazes me is that so many times, things that are so blatantly obvious to the 3500 who still turn up every week are completely missed by those in charge of the club.

Not seeing the extent of an Evans backlash? Incredible! Appointing someone with zero experience? Woeful!

Stevie Wonder even saw what was coming.