New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

Someone questioned why people might be more willing to accept Kuqi now when they weren't a few years back?

One answer is the "experienced now" plus the addition of SO'D.

The other is we have 10 days until Pre Season starts and frankly anyone is better than nobody

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone questioned why people might be more willing to accept Kuqi now when they weren't a few years back?

The other is we have 10 days until Pre Season starts and frankly almost anyone (other than Kelly and Dunn) is better than nobody

FIFY

The other is we have 10 days until Pre Season starts and frankly anyone is better than nobody

Again, at what level is his experience compared to League 1? Is the second division (and part of a season in first division) in Finland at a similar standard to League one? Is it a better level or worse level?

As for O'Driscoll a DoF - who is responsible? Kuqi or O'Driscoll? :censored: results - do we blame Kuqi for tactics or O'Driscoll for players? Results going well - do we praise Kuqi or O'Driscoll? Does Kuqi demand more say in players signing if going well? Does O'Driscoll claim credit? Possible power struggle between the two?

As already mentioned, it sounds as though O'Driscoll doesn't want the managers job and would be off as soon as someone offers him a suitable job. Leaving us with a manager deemed not good enough previously, and who we still don't seem to trust as manager only.

If the club go with this option, I'll support it. But there's no need for a director of football in league one, especially a cash-strapped league one team.

Again, at what level is his experience compared to League 1? Is the second division (and part of a season in first division) in Finland at a similar standard to League one? Is it a better level or worse level?

As for O'Driscoll a DoF - who is responsible? Kuqi or O'Driscoll? :censored: results - do we blame Kuqi for tactics or O'Driscoll for players? Results going well - do we praise Kuqi or O'Driscoll? Does Kuqi demand more say in players signing if going well? Does O'Driscoll claim credit? Possible power struggle between the two?

As already mentioned, it sounds as though O'Driscoll doesn't want the managers job and would be off as soon as someone offers him a suitable job. Leaving us with a manager deemed not good enough previously, and who we still don't seem to trust as manager only.

If the club go with this option, I'll support it. But there's no need for a director of football in league one, especially a cash-strapped league one team.

Kuqi indicated in an interview last year the top side by a country mile in Finland may just about survive in Division One, so I imagine the rest would be around Conference level.

Any good young prospects usually go abroad.

Edited by BP1960

Fair enough on the first one, but then who does the responsibility fall to? Kuqi or O'Driscoll? If players are playing :censored:, do we blame the manager for tactics or the DoF for signing them? Does Kuqi complain that O'Driscoll is signing players he doesn't want? Does O'Driscoll just sign players he wants, rather than what suits the tactics Kuqi wants to use?

As L&E says, SoD is most probably a short-term thing until he gets a proper job. If that's the case you'd imagine Kuqi has all the responsibility for tactics. I guess you blame the working partnership if we're :censored:e though. You'd expect Kuqi to communicate what style he wants to play and O'Driscoll will secure signings.

If SoD beings in a load of Connor Brown's and Cassidy's then I know who to blame. If he brings in Korey Smith's and Forte's then we know who to blame.

Edited by NewBlue

I'll post this article again. Explains the modern role of the DoF.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

Maybe we're looking forward for a change? Maybe O'Driscoll is sick of the hire em fire em attitude of modern 1st team management and is taking on a long term role?

As L&E says, SoD is most probably a short-term thing until he gets a proper job. If that's the case you'd imagine Kuqi has all the responsibility. I guess you blame the working partnership. You'd expect Kuqi to communicate what style he wants to play and O'Driscoll will secure signings.

If SoD beings in a load of Connor Brown's and Cassidy's then I know who to blame. If he brings in Korey Smith's and Forte's then we know who to blame.

I Kuqi doesn't do well I guess we would be saying Finns aint what they used to be. :ohno:

I welcome this appointment IF we have SOD holding his hand for the first season. If a bigger club comes in for SOD after Christmas at least we should have a fairly settled team by then and hopefully with people like Shirtlif and TP still around to keep Kuqi calm.

We may crash and burn - we may sky rocket forward - but whatever happens I have a feeling it will be spectacular

Buckle up boys :OASISscarf:

Edited by Stagger Lee

I'll post this article again. Explains the modern role of the DoF.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

Maybe we're looking forward for a change? Maybe O'Driscoll is sick of the hire em fire em attitude of modern 1st team management and is taking on a long term role?

Interesting article and one that could work if we do it properly and perhaps SOD is the long term appointment here. Perhaps bringing in a DOF was the route Corney was looking at all along and maybe explains Shez departure. As Shez didn't want to go down that route who knows. Edited by GlossopLatic

I don't think it has anything to do with Sheridan's departure. There is no way Corney would pay for a DoF if he didn't feel he had to, and Sheridan's results didn't suggest a need for it. I think it's a sign of desperation - there's no single candidate that ticks the boxes, so we'll hire two.

Assuming there is an announcement imminent - and I know we've been burned there before - I hope the club just goes ahead and puts it out rather than trying to build it up. We've waited too long to care about fuss and hype, so forget trying to flog season tickets off the back of this farce. Just get on with it.

Edited by Crusoe

The DoF idea seems like more of a late plan B than anything else. Maybe suggested by O'Driscoll even? Shez was the top man, then Evans would definitely have been that so I don't think it's come about until Evans turned us down. If we are going down that road though, then we might potentially see some continuity - O'Driscoll being in charge of the direction the football side is going in and the manager comes in under him who buys into it and works with it. If he moves on then O'Driscoll has potential replacements already lined up who'd fit the philosophy. Rather than the scrap and build thinking we get every time we get a new manager (which feels like every 6 months).

The DoF idea seems like more of a late plan B than anything else. Maybe suggested by O'Driscoll even? Shez was the top man, then Evans would definitely have been that so I don't think it's come about until Evans turned us down. If we are going down that road though, then we might potentially see some continuity - O'Driscoll being in charge of the direction the football side is going in and the manager comes in under him who buys into it and works with it. If he moves on then O'Driscoll has potential replacements already lined up who'd fit the philosophy. Rather than the scrap and build thinking we get every time we get a new manager (which feels like every 6 months).

Well put exactly this for me