Where does now rank amongst the worst times to have supported OAFC?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quote is the current problem. It was the Arsenal solution but that was not how we got promoted under Joe Royal. We simply scored more goals than the opposition.

I don't like to pick anyone up on their spelling but you leave me with no choice; it's Royle!

No 1. The racist abuse of Wayne Andrews at Colchester. Ashamed to be sharning the terrace.

No 2. The close to extinction post Moore's departure

No 3. Personal abuse on messageboards when trying (ineffectively to be honest) to do something positive

It has spread to the stands Dave

Managers are frightened of losing their jobs if the team concedes goals so take a negative approach, its this fear factor which translates to the

players that's a big problem in the game today.

This. It's why so many loans: managers are sacked in such a short period they feel they have to gamble on quick fixes from other clubs rather than developing their own youth prospects or taking time to get things right. Conservative football, revolving door selection, bored fans, anger and frustration curdling into abuse. I was never the most committed fan but I can't be bothered at all now.

This. It's why so many loans: managers are sacked in such a short period they feel they have to gamble on quick fixes from other clubs rather than developing their own youth prospects or taking time to get things right. Conservative football, revolving door selection, bored fans, anger and frustration curdling into abuse. I was never the most committed fan but I can't be bothered at all now.

You're not wrong, but it doesn't explain why most of the football we played under Johnson and Dickov was so insipid.

Corney never intimated Johnson would be sacked and Dickov was given right until we had no other choice

Salford's manager was on Talk Sport earlier and he said Neville and his mates have specifically told him they want the team to play attacking football.

Surely Corney could make it part of the managers remit to do the same....?

If only as a financial decision.. More people would pay to watch if they knew they were going to see a side having a proper go at scoring goals and winning games...

Peterborough owner similar mindset, this place would have broken the internet if we had appointed Westley but he's made a great start there.

Dunn is trying with the squad he didn't assemble and learning as he goes, he was never going to be a ready made manager with firmly established and rehearsed routines, he needs backing and time but I don't think he'll get them.

All valid points in favour of Dunn. But how many of these "learn of the job" managers do we have to go through before we see any real progression? After Johnson left we needed to bring a bit of spark back to the club, especially after a train wreck of a second half of the season both on and off the pitch but the appointments we've got have been massively underwhelming. Dunn doesn't get a clean slate in my book, it's not a new management team, it's a drab, monotonous, chinless, continuation of the one we've had since LJ left. Dunn. Kelly, Holden, same :censored: different day.... Edited by PlayItLivo

This is it. I was actually enjoying last season for the first time in ages, but then we tried to sign a rapist, gave up on a season when we were in with a shout of the play offs, kicked me out of the Chaddy were I'd had a season ticket for 45 years, blatantly lied about the new stand being open for the start of the season to sell season tickets for it, appointed a no mark of a manager despite saying it had been the highest calibre of candidates ever, then lined up his replacement before the season started, another guy with zero management experience.

On top of all this, the man at the top constantly tells us we are over achieiving, punching above our way for not playing at a level we haven't played in since 1971. There is no other ambition at this club then to merely survive, and sadly, that attitude has spread to many supporters. There's no ambition and no hope any more, and that is the saddest part.

If Steve R says things like this I know it must have got really bad!

In terms of seasons we have had worse.

In terms of calender year.This is the worst for a very long time.

I think this is it. It's been terrible.

Chance in the summer to really galvanise everything and they make the most stupid appointment ever.

Still feel a bit guilty about cancelling my season ticket, but I defo made the right call.

Few in our small remaining group already talking of not renewing. Lots of hard work needed from the club going forward.

I've been trying to rack my brains for a worse time than this.

And then it hit me.

Colbeck and Keigan Parker up front against Leeds in round one of the Cup under Penney.

We're nowhere near that yet.

Yet by this point of the season under Penney we had won 5 games.

I'll be surprised if we win 5 games all season at this rate!

This is not the worst team we have had. By and large they are competent pros doing a competent enough job.....the problem is that it is so sterile. There is currently no player at the club you want to see with ball. Groves and Stainrod etc were from a different stratosphere but now we don't even have a Harkins or even the sight of Matt Smith trying to clatter into a centre half or even Sid dribbling the ball into touch at high speed..... This lot take no risks, there are no smiles on their faces, .and it is a good job they have their names on their shirts because we would not recognise them otherwise

It might not be worst time to have supported us but it is up there with the most dreary

This is not the worst team we have had. By and large they are competent pros doing a competent enough job.....the problem is that it is so sterile. There is currently no player at the club you want to see with ball. Groves and Stainrod etc were from a different stratosphere but now we don't even have a Harkins or even the sight of Matt Smith trying to clatter into a centre half or even Sid dribbling the ball into touch at high speed..... This lot take no risks, there are no smiles on their faces, .and it is a good job they have their names on their shirts because we would not recognise them otherwise

Really?