With the latest round of results the points per game ratio points to the 50 point mark being required (had been 46/47 until this weekend).

Then we we need 12 points from 8 games.

3 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats. Seems plausible based on current run of form - though also seems plausible that none of them will be relaxed games and likely we will go into the last game not mathematically safe.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we win 7 of our 8 games we will be safe. If we lose all 8 we will be relegated.

If Sheridan repeats his points ratio since returning of 1.43 in our last 8 games, we will finish on 52 points.

Our two previous managers this season averaged, .88. We would have finished the season on 36 points if that average had continued.

If we win 7 of our 8 games we will be safe. If we lose all 8 we will be relegated.

If Sheridan repeats his points ratio since returning of 1.43 in our last 8 games, we will finish on 52 points.

Our two previous managers this season averaged, .88. We would have finished the season on 36 points if that average had continued.

14 games have returned - 4 defeats; 5 wins and 5 draws. 12 goals conceded; 11 goals scored.

No doubt Sheridan has improved our results, and a full season of his points per game would see us getting 65 points and respectable mid-table, but the quality of the performances and attractiveness is still pretty dour - still struggling to think of many genuinely 'enjoyable' games this season (Gillingham at home?).

I appreciate that we are in a huge relegation struggle and its not a time for pretty football and we need points, but if we want to arrest the slide in attendances we need to start entertaining as well as picking up scrappy wins. We have not won a league game by more than a single goal this season, and every point feels 'on edge' right to the final whistle. The team and the fans would benefit from a comfortable 3-0 win at some stage...

The fact that we are still in the relegation zone is a measure quite how deep in the flag following the Kelly/Dunn tenures.

Edited by Scapegoat

14 games have returned - 4 defeats; 5 wins and 5 draws. 12 goals conceded; 11 goals scored.

No doubt Sheridan has improved our results, and a full season of his points per game would see us getting 65 points and respectable mid-table, but the quality of the performances and attractiveness is still pretty dour - still struggling to think of many genuinely 'enjoyable' games this season (Gillingham at home?).

I appreciate that we are in a huge relegation struggle and its not a time for pretty football and we need points, but if we want to arrest the slide in attendances we need to start entertaining as well as picking up scrappy wins. We have not won a league game by more than a single goal this season, and every point feels 'on edge' right to the final whistle. The team and the fans would benefit from a comfortable 3-0 win at some stage...

The fact that we are still in the relegation zone is a measure quite how deep in the flag following the Kelly/Dunn tenures.

The main priority is staying in this division which is more likely to be achieved by keeping players organised,focused on keeping things tight at the back and nicking goals at the other end in scrappy 1-0 wins on a poor home pitch.Sheridan knows we currently don't have the personnel to play expansive attractive football that brings the 3-0 wins.That's for another day when hopefully Sheridan is given the opportunity to bring in players who may deliver a more entertaining style of play.

We have not won a league game by more than a single goal this season, and every point feels 'on edge' right to the final whistle. .

Yesterday at the match I sat back for the last 10 minutes smoking a (imaginary) ciggie-Gerrard marshalled things superbly.

Corney has a lot to answer for with the Kelly/Dunn appointments

Something I've noted too. From what I've seen of Shez - about 6 games - we've been too fond of hoof ball because we can't resist the Holloway temptation. Not helped by the shocking distribution from some of our defenders, who can't make a short pass the rare times they look for one.

It was like watching a game of that Gaelic football first half against Chesterfield, and it was even worse versus Rochdale. For the £22 you pay the matches are often terrible in standard and desperately boring, with two teams there to spoil each other and hope they get a bit of luck. Needs to be improved, and we need to appreciate Holloway is more than simply a man to hoof to.

With players like Palmer, Winchester and Jones we've got no excuses either.

I think the hoof ball is the way to play on that pitch.

And something needed to be done to make us more direct.

The passing performance against Burton was an improvement over most games I have seen at BP - pitch must play a part I suppose.

Yesterday at the match I sat back for the last 10 minutes smoking a (imaginary) ciggie-Gerrard marshalled things superbly.

Corney has a lot to answer for with the Kelly/Dunn appointments

Whoever talked Sheridan into taking on an almost lost cause is due some credit.

Between now and end of the season I don't care how we get points

It's not about entertainment at present its about staying up

This for me, if we get out of this car crash of a season with our Div 1 status intact, we can work on the style next season.

Does anyone else think that Shez will be here forever irrespective of if we go down, which I don't believe we will; ie until the end of his career? Would be nice to have a 10, 15 to 20 year manager again for a change.

Edited by L1onheartNew

Does anyone else think that Shez will be here forever irrespective of if we go down, which I don't believe we will; ie until the end of his career? Would be nice to have a 10, 15 to 20 year manager again for a change.

If he's learnt from the mistakes he made at the end of his last tenure (and it appears he has, from his last jobs alone) I can see him being here a while - and a I hope he is!!

Edited by JWhite101

Well making it to 2 full seasons would be a start.

Shez doesn't come across that well in the media, which means that he is unlikely to attract the kind of media attention that LJ or Dowie did - therefore not sure he will be seen as a positive move for many clubs where that is a big factor.

He does appear the sort that could be a long term manager at a club - and as success with us doesn't need to be massive it's possible that he could be here a long time.

I'd like to think so but, if he had success at Latics, I can't imagine he'd turn down Wednesday if they came calling.