Does anyone else think that Shez will be here forever irrespective of if we go down, which I don't believe we will; ie until the end of his career? Would be nice to have a 10, 15 to 20 year manager again for a change.

People will get fed up of him way before then unless he has 2 really progressive seasons and gets us up but that will be really tough for anyone.

He's 52 now he has another 2 years I would like to think that if at the end of those 2 years maybe another year after he retires he gets to do a lap of honour round BP and we get to say thanks and leave it on good terms unlike what happened last time.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to occasionally check on how long LJ had stayed with us, he was climbing up the ladder of longest serving managers IIRC he was well into the top 20.

I think the key to latics moving forward rather than another 20 years of treading water is to have a long term manager who is also tasked with finding and developing youngsters. Sheridan could be that man. He is respected enough that the Board and the fans wont crucify him if he has a miserable run of form and I think having that job security means it would take a big offer to lure him away, as mentioned before, to a Sheff Wed or Leeds type club.

Knowing the manager is going to be staying helps the players develop, rather than a new manager coming in every 6 months and changing the team philosophy and style. It gives structure to the club by getting players who will gel together and compliment each others styles and abilities rather than a mish mash of short term solution buys.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see this happening at all, let alone with 2 games to spare.

Shez is God.

Well happy. Thinking back to the games he's lost, the Bury and Rochdale games stand out as games that cuda-shoulda-woulda drawn/won. Only leaves three defeats in 20 games to Barnsley, Sheff U and Bradford. Fantastic run of games and well done all involved.

• 8 months later...

I think 50 points will be enough this time round so 8 wins 7 draws 7 defeats which under normal circumstances would be pretty average form, however, we don't do average!!

We've 22 games left which is more than enough to turn it round but we need a couple of quick wins to take the pressure off....preferably the next two!!

One step at a time please

1 step - get a team together the squad is looking a bit thin ( insert Croft joke here)

2 Step - get the team to know where the goal is

3 Step - get the team to actually score

4 Step - start aiming to maybe, possibly, actually win a game

This league is awful this year. Not just at the top the 5 at the bottom wouldn't be guaranteed success 2 levels below. The last 2 opposition at home have been woeful.

It will be a case of being the least :censored: of 5 teams rather than being good enough to stay up. We could see the lowest surviving points total for a long while this year. Still 52 to make sure but I reckon 47 may well do it

Edited by philliggi

One step at a time please

1 step - get a team together the squad is looking a bit thin ( insert Croft joke here)

SKIP

2 Step - get the team to know where the goal is

CHECK

3 Step - get the team to actually score

CHECK

4 Step - start aiming to maybe, possibly, actually win a game

CHECK

Piece of piss.

• 2 weeks later...