• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do think people do need to read.

It's a better basis of a squad than for a few years, I didn't say the basis of a Champions by Christmas squad, or even play offs.

The ones mentioned are beginning to make a decent fist of a points total. Our form since Shez came online is so much better.

I did say it could all go tits up. We may even be relegated with a record number of clean sheets.

I didn't list the entire squad, it state the basis. I left Dummigan out because he is not a regular on the team sheet.

The key is Shez and some stability.

Perhaps I should have emphasised I meant as a perennial struggle till Christmas, I just thought it was a given.

Is anyone capable of an adult discussion, instead of Trump-esque pronouncements.

Not sure where all that sanctimonious rubbish has come from. I managed to read that you think that the basis of a squad for next season is already in place. I don't agree that it is.

To break it down, we have no goalkeeper for next season. Peter Clarke's contract is up. We have four midfielders that you highlighted, none of whom have been anything to write home about all season - there's an option on McLaughlin's contract but is it nailed on we'll exercise it? Then we've got Holloway and Gerrard, both assets but the former's injury problems are a bit of a concern and the latter needs to go on a serious diet.

I don't think that's anything close to the basis of a squad for next season.

Not sure where all that sanctimonious rubbish has come from. I managed to read that you think that the basis of a squad for next season is already in place. I don't agree that it is.

To break it down, we have no goalkeeper for next season. Peter Clarke's contract is up. We have four midfielders that you highlighted, none of whom have been anything to write home about all season - there's an option on McLaughlin's contract but is it nailed on we'll exercise it? Then we've got Holloway and Gerrard, both assets but the former's injury problems are a bit of a concern and the latter needs to go on a serious diet.

I don't think that's anything close to the basis of a squad for next season.

Of course, the keeper is a major worry, and we've been so lucky (so far - hope he stays injury free)) with Conor Ripley, any lesser keeper and we could be in a lot deeper trouble as we all know.

Clarke we have an option on.

You are right about the midfielders, probably McLaughlin shouldn't have beent here. Fane is just an impact player but can mix it up a bit, I think Shez (who of course is key) might be able to improve him. Ollie banks and Flynn seem to have improved somewhat.

As I said the back bone of squad I didn't mean the solid foundations but accept that could have been clearer) but 3 or 4 players, plus of course the elusive striker who can score may mean we don't start so badly, again.

Not many of the current crop that any of us would keep of course.

As much as I am pleased with the upturn in results, I do think that talk of the play-offs is something close to insanity.

We have picked up points against Coventry and Chesterfield - 2 teams likely to go down - in far from convincing performances. We, based on statistics, got lucky with a point at he weekend, and whilst only lost by a late goal at MK Dons it was one way traffic.

A couple of good performances - Peterborough and Charlton (although out gunned again on chances) - have been produced, but it's surely too little to get that excited?

I would love to be wrong, but Shez seems to have repeated last season by managing to grind results out whilst not being that good. But given where we are, that is good enough.

As for next season? A few of the current squad plus a full pre-season and new additions - I'd be hopeful that we might do something that we have not done for a while...finish with a points total starting with a 6. Something that was last achieved by Sheridan.

I strongly suggest that talk of what may be next season is equally premature and somewhat pointless in the circumstances. However I am fascinated to see what does happen in the summer given the antics of summer 2016 and the obvious parallels with summer 17.

As much as I am pleased with the upturn in results, I do think that talk of the play-offs is something close to insanity.

We have picked up points against Coventry and Chesterfield - 2 teams likely to go down - in far from convincing performances. We, based on statistics, got lucky with a point at he weekend, and whilst only lost by a late goal at MK Dons it was one way traffic.

A couple of good performances - Peterborough and Charlton (although out gunned again on chances) - have been produced, but it's surely too little to get that excited?

I would love to be wrong, but Shez seems to have repeated last season by managing to grind results out whilst not being that good. But given where we are, that is good enough.

As for next season? A few of the current squad plus a full pre-season and new additions - I'd be hopeful that we might do something that we have not done for a while...finish with a points total starting with a 6. Something that was last achieved by Sheridan.

This.

The presumption that we are safe by many of our fans is a little baffling, plenty of tough games to come and we are reliant on too few players to consistently keep us in games, things are far more rosier than before Shez came in but we should keep everything crossed that there's no issues with getting Clarke and Ripley out on the pitch from now till the end of the season.

The presumption that we are safe by many of our fans is a little baffling, plenty of tough games to come and we are reliant on too few players to consistently keep us in games, things are far more rosier than before Shez came in but we should keep everything crossed that there's no issues with getting Clarke and Ripley out on the pitch from now till the end of the season.

No one has seriously suggested we are safe, a bit of banter but none are serious about it. And definitely not "many".

Edited by singe

This team is, on the whole, a bag of :censored: that has the pace of a sloth, the first touch of a Ched Evans and the heading ability of a concrete wall. We are a million miles off a playoff push but should have enough to keep our heads above water in this game of Russian Roulette our leader plays. I honestly wouldn't be arsed if they all left except for the following:

Ripley (won't be staying)

Clarke (fully expect him to move on - most likely back to Bury)

Brian Wilson (probably will be released as he is a high earner we've tried to get rid of before)

Gerrard (needs to lose a bit of timber)

Fane

McLaughlin

Taylor

Holloway (although jury is massively out on him due to injury issues)

Edited by boundaryblue80

This team is, on the whole, a bag of :censored: that has the pace of a sloth, the first touch of a Ched Evans and the heading ability of a concrete wall. We are a million miles off a playoff push but should have enough to keep our heads above water in this game of Russian Roulette our leader plays. I honestly wouldn't be arsed if they all left except for the following:

Ripley (won't be staying)

Clarke (fully expect him to move on - most likely back to Bury)

Brian Wilson (probably will be released as he is a high earner we've tried to get rid of before)

Gerrard (needs to lose a bit of timber)

Fane

McLaughlin

Taylor

Holloway (although jury is massively out on him due to injury issues)

Wilson won't leave. Clarke was shafted by bury so doubt he will go back more likely Scunthorpe if they don't go up

3 things are a concern,

Our run in.

Our lack of goals.

How competive the bottom 8 are. (Except Cov)

Hopefully we pick up a few more ugly wins, and scrape home.

this division is bang average and Shez has shown already that he can get the points needed, despite our lack of effective strikers. we'll stay up comfortably.