Sheridan - Every vacant managerial post?

Sheridan has moved to favourite for the job on SkyBet, so much for the club statement putting an end to it! Hopefully it's just the bookie protecting his money after a few quid's been placed on him.

Fair play to the club for the statement they put out. But if Shez wants to go to Bolton (not that I think he will) and Bolton want him, there isn't much the club can do. What would be the point of tying a manager to his contract when he clearly didn't want to be here, it would only be counter productive.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Statements, speculation and bookies odds (particularly on this sort of thing) are all no certainty of anything.

There could be plenty of reasons why Sherdian would want to leave:

A bigger club - no matter what the perilous position they are in at the moment, we have to admit they have more potential than we have to be a Championship contender in the future. The situation might not be as bad as thought (or that the club "sell" the future well enough to make it look attractive).

Wages - if Bolton are willing to double his wage then he'd be very unusual if he didn't consider it.

Frustration with Latics - maybe we sold him the club on a better than reality story and he is frustrated with our situation. Maybe he already as worked out he cannot keep / get th players he wants and sees a huge rebuilding job and doesn't fancy it.

Etc.

If Sheriden wants to go for the reasons above or any other, it's hard to stand in his way. Playing budget is likely to be not that movable, size of the club isn't going to change anytime soon, the only thing we could do is up his wage if that was the issue.

I'd imagine that SC would see the whole life cost saving of an additional £50k on a salary for the manager verses the "costs" of another change of manager and risks with it (cost of changing players, acquiring new manager etc)

Anyway - until Bolton announce there new manager the risk remains.

If he goes there's no hope for this club, as soon as we get a decent manager he moves on, it's short terminsm leading eventually to the drop. If SC has anything about him he will be upping Shez's salary.

Edited by BP1960

If he goes there's no hope for this club, as soon as we get a decent manager he moves on, it's short terminsm leading eventually to the drop. If SC has anything about him he will be upping Shez's salary.

Sort of agree, but not sure there is that much we can do about it.

The frequency with which managers get the sack in the current climate, any half decent manager at a club short of cash is going to get interest.

Anyway, are we starting a poll on the next manager? There's a :censored: load out there. I'll go for my now annual favourite - Ian Dowie. He must be bursting to get back into management.

Can't think why we haven't thought of him before....

if Shez goes i am really going to start questioning the point of following a club like Latics. Money is steadily destroying football and Leicester's magnificent achievement this season may well be a last hurrah.

I am really struggling to know why we bother if the players and manager just don't give a :censored: about the club. I'm wondering if Shez's reaction at the end of the Southend game was a goodbye rather than a celebration....hope i'm wrong but t's hard to have any faith in football these days.

Anyway, are we starting a poll on the next manager? There's a :censored: load out there. I'll go for my now annual favourite - Ian Dowie. He must be bursting to get back into management.

I thought he'd had a career change and was now a regional sales manager for a survey company.

Even if Sheridan was 100% certain he wanted to stay, it makes sense that he uses this interest from Bolton to negotiate a salary increase from Corney. If he comes out and says in the press that he has no intention of leaving then he loses all his leverage.

How many times have we seen a club refuse permission for a club to speak to a manager then the manager resign and go anyway it doesn't matter what statement the club puts out its always up to the manager in question I think this could run for a while

The look interested to get more money aspect (aka The Rooney) is one that should be considered - though if I was Shez I'd have had a staying up salary increase pre-agreed anyway.

If he does move on, it would be something for Latics to have had 2 managers poached and 2 managers sacked in just over a year.

Whatever happens, it's never dull at BP :-)

The problem is, it's easier to get a job while you are still in one. It's probably more sensible to take up new offers while your stock is high than wait for the inevitable sack and then sit around and hope śomething will come along. Hope Sheridan doesn't see it like that but anyone who has changed jobs will know that your loyalty to the new employer switches instantly to them with little real thought for the one you are leaving.

Latest from the Bolton Evening News http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/14451680.Wanderers_linked_with_move_for_Oldham_boss_Sheridan/

I wish Shez would come out and say he doesn't want it like Chris Wilder has.

...well I never thought I'd see John Sheridan in a shirt like that....! Looks more like something Lee Johnson would wear...

Latest from the Bolton Evening News http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/14451680.Wanderers_linked_with_move_for_Oldham_boss_Sheridan/

I wish Shez would come out and say he doesn't want it like Chris Wilder has.

"Their reaction appears to be premature, as The Bolton News understands Wanderers co-owners Ken Anderson and Dean Holdsworth are not in agreement on whether the former Republic of Ireland international is the man to take the club forward next season."

This can only be a good thing - if you know you haven't got your employers full support, your job is at risk.

I think Bolton are still in a mess. It'll take 12 months to stabilise and start turing them around. Bolton are clearly looking for someone who has knowledge of the lower leagues and experience in managing clubs with a limited income. Bolton might be a bigger club than Oldham, but they're not a big club. They need someone to stop the rot, clear the decks, consolidate and then move forward. That's going to take time and patience. I think it's a very difficult job.

Shez fits the profile, but does he want the hassle and take the gamble at this point in his career? I think he would. SC is not going to break his iron fist approach to the budget. There'll be no deal struck.

Personally, i think Brown is a better fit for Bolton.

Bolton supporting mate says a large portion of their 'clueless' fans think they will walk the league next year and if not clear after 10, 20 games there will be more unrest.

It wouoldnt suprise me if Curtis.E.Carr7:27am Tue 26 Apr 16 is one

Edited by palmer1