Sheridan - Every vacant managerial post?

In 2009, he was a dinosaur...

He was 60.

Fergie [in employment in Stretford] was 67.

Hiddink [Chelsea] 62.

Redknapp [spurs] 62.

Ternant [Hudds] 62.

Kinnear [Newcastle] 62.

Hodgson [Fulham] 61.

Wenger [Arsenal] 60.

Warnock [Palace] 60.

....4 of which are still in employment 7 years on....

Edited by lookersstandandy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was rightly sacked back in 2009. What was wrong, though, was replacing him with a dinosaur like Royle and then Penney...

A handful of games at the end of a season that was going nowhere does not make god a dinosaur.

To mention is the same sentence as Penny is ridiculous...:censored:ing ridiculous!!!!1

I didn't think Johnson was a :censored: for leaving. Nor would I think sheridan would be. Disappointed massively though. People need to stop looking at football like it's not real life. If you got a miles better salary offered fromantic a rival company you'd take it. Simple

I do.. It was the timing and the fact that it was Barnsley. His spin/bull:censored: didn't help. He was straight out of the Alistair Campbell school of bollocks.

If John leaves at the end of a season having achieved the impossible, i can accept it.

No so sure about that. I think the majority of fans know full well that Sheridan is as good an appointment as we'll even get out of Corney et al. I'd give him a ten-year deal now.

He will have the job a long time if he wants it. As long as he doesn't go drinking with the players at the dogs and letting them kick off with one another.

This Sheridan is a far better manager than the one we had last. Hopefully he will be here for a long time. And with the loan merry-go-round not allowed any more, it suits us to keep this management team than a rookie cutting his teeth that ends up stuck with his mistakes (unable to bring in loanees) for most of the season. Ironically, in his 3rd year, it was the loan system that led to Shez's demise in another way...he'd built a good side and then started dismantling it by bringing in your Byrnes', Hines & Budtz's which buggered it all up. That can't happen the same next season and we should be better for it I feel.

Edited by boundaryblue80

He was 60.

Fergie [in employment in Stretford] was 67.

Hiddink [Chelsea] 62.

Redknapp [spurs] 62.

Ternant [Hudds] 62.

Kinnear [Newcastle] 62.

Hodgson [Fulham] 61.

Wenger [Arsenal] 60.

Warnock [Palace] 60.

....4 of which are still in employment 7 years on....

Prior to this season Royle's record in 2009 was the worst in our history. He was a dinosaur when we appointed him. Not sure of his record after Kelly and Dunn.

It's not always about loyalty or money though.

"Half a job" Johnson is young and may ultimately learn to his detriment that a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Shez, on the other hand, more mature, might simply relish the challenge of a job well done at Oldham. Provided Corney doesn't stiff him on the money side, that is.

Prior to this season Royle's record in 2009 was the worst in our history. He was a dinosaur when we appointed him. Not sure of his record after Kelly and Dunn.

He had been managing Ipswich Town in the Championship as recently as 2006, and had had them in the playoffs during his time there, so how he could become a 'dinosaur' inside 3 years is beyond me.

In 2008-09, following Belle Vue-gate, Shez's sacking and our top scorer being sent to Blackpool for being a very naughty boy, he was brought in to see if he could rescue an already faltering season by way of nostalgia and a feel good factor. It failed. He could be accused of making a mistake by accepting the invitation, but not of being a dinosaur. Not even close.

I'm not one for treating Shez as the Messiah if he goes.

Of course, he is an absolute legend to our club.

Yet again.

But he will have walked after a few months, and I thought he had more about him than that. As with Johnson, who we gave his first opportunity, with Shez we rescued him from non League first time, and we rescued him from Newport County, Newport Bloody County at the wrong end of League 2 and possible relegation into Non League. It was not going well there either.

So yes, I expect a bit of loyalty. Of course, he's repaid the faith in him a thousand fold, but it's not unreasonable to expect him to stay longer than 3 months because he himself said he had "unfinished business".

That means more to me more than saving us from relegation.

It will be on par with Johnson, and Dowie's go hard go home giss a job spells for me, and takes a bit of edge of his legendary status.

Edited by singe

I can't see him jumping...as people say he has it made here for at least 12 months in terms of expectation and pressure

Going to Bolton at this time is a ticking bomb if he doesn't have them in the top 6 by Xmas.

He doesn't strike me as wanting or needing to put himself under such pressures. He has no ego and doesn't strike me as a money grabber.

Edited by Blue_Guru

I'm not one for treating Shez as the Messiah if he goes.

Of course, he is an absolute legend to our club.

Yet again.

But he will have walked after a few months, and I thought he had more about him than that. As with Johnson, who we gave his first opportunity, with Shez we rescued him from non League first time, and we rescued him from Newport County, Newport Bloody County at the wrong end of League 2 and possible relegation into Non League. It was not going well there either.

So yes, I expect a bit of loyalty. Of course, he's repaid the faith in him a thousand fold, but it's not unreasonable to expect him to stay longer than 3 months because he himself said he had "unfinished business".

That means more to me more than saving us from relegation.

It will be on par with Johnson, and Dowie's go hard go home giss a job spells for me, and takes a bit of edge of his legendary status.

Again, we sacked him last time so how can any loyalty be expected? It's as fine an example of double standards as you coukd wish to see. A salary boost and/ or career advancement after doing a grand job albeit in a short amount of time is just the way football works. It'd then be up to the club to surprise us all and show that they've learned a thing or two about recruiting a suitable replacement.

Anyway, from this understandable response to Matt Chambers, it seems he's in no mood to rule anything out & why should he be:

"They are purely rumours," John Sheridan said this morning when I asked him about Bolton. "I am just getting on with my job." #oafc

John is saying as little as possible - wise in a world where each and every utterance is scrutinised through a microscope.

Neither he nor the club are under any obligation to comment at all if the rumours, speculation and conjecture have emanated from elsewhere.

We all know it's possible he may leave for Bolton, but for the moment and unless the situation changes, I'd say all this is tittle-tattle.

I think it would be a terrible move for him, rit eally does seem a house of cards there.

I know Neil Lennon was only managing in the Scottish League but his stock was reasonably high when he left Celtic and it turned out to be a disastrous move for him and I have seen nothing from the new ownership to suggest things will be any better under their regime.

Skybet favourite at 7/4 is...David Dunn. :lol:[/quote

Wouldn't be surprised to see DD learn from his mistakes and if appointed have a very experienced number two next to him.

That, plus a heap load of goodwill from fans that adore him (aka Ritchie / Sheridan) I can see him having half a chance if he got it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see DD learn from his mistakes and if appointed have a very experienced number two next to him.

That, plus a heap load of goodwill from fans that adore him (aka Ritchie / Sheridan) I can see him having half a chance if he got it.

The guy's a :censored:ing idiot. He'd be useless, just like he was at Latics.

Don't be daft, his whopping 20 match spell with us mean he shall forever be a terrible manager.