Squad movements, summer 2016

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That list highlights how much work there is to do, busy few weeks in store.

Are the loan rules the same this coming season other than no more emergency loans?

Only loans during the transfer windows.

That list highlights how much work there is to do, busy few weeks in store.

Are the loan rules the same this coming season other than no more emergency loans?

Only loans during the transfer windows.

I think goalkeepers can still be signed as an emergency loan, providing any youth keepers have not played more than x(10?) amount of first team games.

The loan rules, if you believe the Telegraph:

"Under the new rules, Football League clubs will still be prohibited from selecting more than five loan players in their 18-man match-day squad. They will also be prevented from borrowing more than four players a season from any one club, and no more than two over the age of 23. And there is a specific provision regarding goalkeepers, with teams able to sign one at any time if they do not have a fit registered keeper who has made five senior appearances for any club."

Apart from this the obvious change is only in the transfer period and only for half or a full season. The home club can also recall a player but not for first team football.

Because of the cost to both parent and loan club and the long term half or full season commitment it seems loans from Premiership clubs are unlikely - would you want your 'investment' in the hands of Oldham for so long?

Finally, obviously, we wouldn't have been able to get out of the mess that Kelly and Dunn made of last season. It might be this which has made Simon recruit SO'D and take a longer term view of what is necessary to stay in league 1 and as a result we might by accident get into the top six this year, next year.....

I'd be surprised and a little disappointed if we didn't have another 3 or 4 in by then because from his 5 signings so far I would think 3 at most would be starters on the opening day added to 2 already here . But it has to be an opportunity for the trialists so expect lots of them. I remember watching Sidney schmeltz at curzon 2 or 3 years ago and thinking why did the RAWS buy Ronaldo Hey ho. Shows what I know and the hunger of a player in search of a contract.

I'd be surprised and a little disappointed if we didn't have another 3 or 4 in by then because from his 5 signings so far I would think 3 at most would be starters on the opening day added to 2 already here . But it has to be an opportunity for the trialists so expect lots of them. I remember watching Sidney schmeltz at curzon 2 or 3 years ago and thinking why did the RAWS buy Ronaldo Hey ho. Shows what I know and the hunger of a player in search of a contract.

Ripley looks like he could be a quality signing & I imagine he'll first choice

Law should be a starter. Probably steady but no world beater

Same for Reckord

Erwin - a starter and could be decent

Woodland - I can't quite weigh up whether he's here to start or a squad player. His history is different to say the least. Could be anything, good or bad :unsure:

Kettings - I imagine (& hope) he's cheap

Have I missed anyone?

I'm going to start worrying if there aren't a few experienced, obvious nailed on first team starters signed soon ....

Edited by HarryBosch

I would imagine either that they're the ones with more complex negotiations and bigger demands requiring more discussion, or the club is keeping them under wraps to build up some hype (or to avoid other clubs from swooping in).

I would imagine either that they're the ones with more complex negotiations and bigger demands requiring more discussion, or the club is keeping them under wraps to build up some hype (or to avoid other clubs from swooping in).

I'm not sure they are on the menu, doing a Burton is the new blueprint.

People hadn't heard of Main or Holloway but they did sterling jobs. How many greeted Harkins with "who" ?

Sometimes managers and scouts know more than us . Not always but I'm prepared to see a squad built even if not every piece is in place by Aug 6.

People hadn't heard of Main or Holloway but they did sterling jobs. How many greeted Harkins with "who" ?

Sometimes managers and scouts know more than us . Not always but I'm prepared to see a squad built even if not every piece is in place by Aug 6.

I hope you're right

Agreed, had we signed Jamie Vardy and Lee Gregory from Halifax a few years ago some on here would have gone into meltdown accusing the club of non league ambitions..

Big names can also be big failures, and we have had plenty of them in the past.

Well known or not it doesn't matter as long as they can do a good job for the club.

Trying to pick a whole new team full of rough diamonds is not going to be easy one bit, nor is trying to organise them. Think many are looking for the Gerrard-types, as important in the run-in, who can give these lads a bit of backbone.

Expect these to be signed in the coming weeks, but I will be a little tetchy before the club announces them, I'll admit.