When life deals you an unexpected blow

opinions4u

I've spent the last year or so starting a new life after divorcing my wife of 20 years.

Lost seven stone. Discovered the opportunities of online dating, rebuilt my confidence and probably reached peak fitness as an adult in May this year.

June brought a bad back. I was referred for physio. After eight sessions they gave up an I was referred to a neurosurgeon. This guy showed me scans of crumbling bones in my spine and has since operated on one (verterbroplasty) to strengthen it. Further scans saw me referred to an oncologist.

Nice chap has now told me that I have lung cancer and that is what has spread to the spine. A bit of a shock as I'm a clean living type who has never smoked or done drugs.

While he wouldn't be drawn on prognosis I know enough about lung cancer that's spread to other parts of the body to understand that my chances of posting on this forum this time next year are pretty slim.

In the meantime, take the treatment, hope for a miracle and try to find the strength to keep watching Latics with my fantastic son.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent the last year or so starting a new life after divorcing my wife of 20 years.

Lost seven stone. Discovered the opportunities of online dating, rebuilt my confidence and probably reached peak fitness as an adult in May this year.

June brought a bad back. I was referred for physio. After eight sessions they gave up an I was referred to a neurosurgeon. This guy showed me scans of crumbling bones in my spine and has since operated on one (verterbroplasty) to strengthen it. Further scans saw me referred to an oncologist.

Nice chap has now told me that I have lung cancer and that is what has spread to the spine. A bit of a shock as I'm a clean living type who has never smoked or done drugs.

While he wouldn't be drawn on prognosis I know enough about lung cancer that's spread to other parts of the body to understand that my chances of posting on this forum this time next year are pretty slim.

In the meantime, take the treatment, hope for a miracle and try to find the strength to keep watching Latics with my fantastic son.

I cannot even begin to comprehend your situation and what you have to go through; however keep fighting and beat this - on a lighter note, can you legally take weed THC tablets now?

Wishing you all the best,

Matt.

And on top of all that, you support Oldham! :laught30::laught30::laught30::laught30::laught30::laught30::laught30:

It's bizarre.

Not sure about the weed, but I'm in pragmatic mode this week.

Get a will.

Get a power of attorney.

Get my final salary pension converted to a cash personal pension. Assuming I do croak soon the kids are going to do very well out of it.

Stop the financial settlement on the divorce. I don't need 20% of the house to restart my life with. The ex has agreed to review that in 12 months!

Realise that I'm due to be made redundant at the end of May. If I croak before then the death in service benefits are several time the redundancy pay off.

By the way, thanks everybody. Four years ago I made a decision to start having extra special holidays. For me that turned out to be driving round national parks in the USA. Hopefully I'll be well enough for one last shot at that. But if not, I'm so glad I've seen and done some amazing things.

Edited by opinions4u

IFA engaged to turn my pension to cash. If I can't have it, somebody else can. Sneaky HMRC rule means there's an inheritance tax bill if I croak within two years.

Solicitor engaged to draw up a will. Might as well make sure what little I have goes where I want.

Pondering the Co-op and organising my own funeral. One less job for my family to worry about. I think I get reward points on my Co-op card too.

Sold my shares. Low values but less hassle for my family when I'm gone.

Now to use up the air miles and hotel loyalty points!