Chesterfield away

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a day out!

Almost missed the start due to the ticket office running out of tickets!

First half started really well, and O'Neill looks a really good player. Taylor was OK but to be honest wasn't really in the game that much.

We bossed possession for the first 25 minutes, but Chesterfield came back into it and probably had the best chance of the half that was "air kicked".

Felt pretty confident that a decent HT team talk and attacking our supporters we would have a good second half.

Then the news that Gerrard had been send off came - his attitude to the referee when he was booked initially was v.poor. Disrespected the official, told him to f*** off if my lip reading was correct.

So not sure what he did in the tunnel, but doubt the referee would have needed much encouragement.

Fearing the worst, the second half went as expected. We were barely in the game, dropping deep and some time wasting (Ripley booked etc) but the crowd....wow!

I first looked at the time at about 65 minutes and we'd been chanting Sheridans blue and white army for a bit, and then from that moment onwards we never stopped singing. The noise was immense!!

And whilst never being really in the game, I don't recall Ripley being genuinely tested. And then as the clock ticked to 90 we get a corner.....

I can imagine what the Spireites felt - we've all been there, dominated 10 men, and then they go and score a late winner from a set piece.

The corner was cleared but the ball back in from O'Neill was a peach and Clarke's header was a bullet.

Pandamoniam ensues.

Suspect we will get a fine etc for the fans on the pitch, but given the atmosphere we created, it felt that we'd earned that 3 points more than the team did.

Not pretty, but a massive win. I don't recall a massive improvement in performances and football last year under Shez, but we started grinding out the points.

9 from 5 so far this time around. Keep it up!

Excellent write up this. Pretty much everything I remember from my drink-fuelled haze on Saturday. Regarding Gerrard and what he did, I had a twitter exchange with him on Saturday after he started trying to justify his actions. Twice I asked him what he actually did to get sent off but he chose not to answer both times. Leads me to believe that it was a little bit more than ask about the corner. He fell for the oldest trick in the book. Then tries justifying it. Hope he reflects on it over the weekend and keeps his cool next time.

Excellent write up this. Pretty much everything I remember from my drink-fuelled haze on Saturday. Regarding Gerrard and what he did, I had a twitter exchange with him on Saturday after he started trying to justify his actions. Twice I asked him what he actually did to get sent off but he chose not to answer both times. Leads me to believe that it was a little bit more than ask about the corner. He fell for the oldest trick in the book. Then tries justifying it. Hope he reflects on it over the weekend and keeps his cool next time.

He posted sone long winded bollocks yesterday about waking up "wid a clarity of mind" and his 31st birthday being a turning point, so hopefully he'll be a one-man oasis of Zen-like calm and wisdom for the rest of the season.

Maybe.

Can't fault him for reacting, and we won so I couldn't give 2 :censored:s. No need to get into an exchange with him about it, just sweep it under the carpet and move on. More important matters like getting enough points to avoid relegation.

Shame the referee didn't do his job at all well, send Evatt off straight away and it defuses the situation. Unfortunately all 4 officials missed it, because they were useless.

They published one of the photos of fans celebrating with Clarke from Alan Howarth onto their website, which was ironic.

Hopefully those who have posted stuff online which might help them identify fans will delete it.

Don't the police have more pressing issues than a victimless 'crime'?

They published one of the photos of fans celebrating with Clarke from Alan Howarth onto their website, which was ironic.

Hopefully those who have posted stuff online which might help them identify fans will delete it.

I would imagine neither the club or police are doing much about it. Both need to be seen to do the right thing but as there was no direct trouble I'm sure it won't be a major issue! Maybe a generic fine or something.

I noticed two POS taking photos of fans who went onto the pitch .

I should think most clubs home fans invade the pitch at the last home game if the season, do the police investigate every single one of those, and how many of those clubs have actually been fined by the FA?

If nothing has been done by the authorities in cases like that I fail to see how legally they can go ahead with this similar incident of mere enthusiasm.

In other words if you fine one you have fine all.

Edited by BP1960

I should think most clubs home fans invade the pitch at the last home game if the season, do the police investigate every single one of those, and how many of those clubs have actually been fined by the FA?

If nothing has been done by the authorities in cases like that I fail to see how legally they can go ahead with this similar incident of mere enthusiasm.

In other words if you fine one you have fine all.

What about Coventry City their fans are on the pitch almost very week dont hear much about them anywhere

It's a complete nothing article. "Potential investigation" and "Assisting the police investigation"? Contradiction in itself.

The club love it don't they. Success starved fans spill onto the pitch in sheer joy at a crucial result and the club can't just put that as the case to the police (If there is an actual investigation, which I personally doubt). There was no malice, no antagonising the home fans and no actual trouble.

Just goes to show the club are so distant to the fans these days. From the pictures I saw he majority were kids. The lifeblood of our support. Aye, let's demonise them.

Sorry, but I think the club needn't have put that statement out. Well, the second half of it anyway.

It's a complete nothing article. "Potential investigation" and "Assisting the police investigation"? Contradiction in itself.

The club love it don't they. Success starved fans spill onto the pitch in sheer joy at a crucial result and the club can't just put that as the case to the police (If there is an actual investigation, which I personally doubt). There was no malice, no antagonising the home fans and no actual trouble.

Just goes to show the club are so distant to the fans these days. From the pictures I saw he majority were kids. The lifeblood of our support. Aye, let's demonise them.

Sorry, but I think the club needn't have put that statement out. Well, the second half of it anyway.

Don't want to come across all "defend the club at all costs" here, but I'm pretty sure they have to do this sort of thing to be seen by the authorities to be doing something about it. Probably just ticks a football league box rather than it being an actual warning by the club to the fans.

Surely it should be Chesterfield's problem anyway, to control fans in their own ground?