Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The way I see it is AL has appointed FB to do the team talking and that seems to be the sensible option.

Wages paid on time from now on and a couple of good strikers signed will bring much needed optimism IMO.

Id also add a couple of midfirlders a LB and a GK but thats just detail I agree with your point.

46 minutes ago, underdog said:

To be fair it's not stuff we all haven't heard someone or read on here. We have just heard it from a player.

At the Trust AGM this week your exiting rep gave an overview of the state of our club and what lessons the new owner is learning.

overview/analogy was if you imagine the big red button on a desk as an alarm, as a Trust we were within 24hours of hitting it under the previous regime just before Al came on board. It's the first time since the Trust inception we have been at that point of making that decision and calling upon certain bodies with regards to the clubs plight.....that's how close we were. Jorvik and the Trust chair were looking how we could tap  into legal advice and were closely monitoring the situations at Blackpool and Carlisle.

The previous owner firmly believed the Trust were behind the HMRC raid, we weren't ...and this has not gone away yet folks. We still have that one to hit the club.

since Al has come on board  we have edge away from that button on a daily basis, it might not feel it like it as we are being hit with testimonies and stories, left right and centre.

Al has learnt the mistakes with regards to the dressing room and we we're told, is keeping firmly away even on match days, to the point he's even considering not staying  with the players in the same hotel if there is a stay over.

hes invested approx £3.5 mil in our club, we might question his sanity...I bloody well would.

As your Trust we remain ever vigilant and now Al now has 2 ex trust Reps and the new Trust rep  to help/guide him. All three with knowedge going back 14 years from the aftermath of the Moore mess and have a good grounding of our club, rules and  regulations we need to adhere etc. I beleive other people will be joining the board with business experience so that can only help him him

i agree clean slate with a certain bedding in period.

With all the flak that has been hurtling our way recently, I hope that this goes some way to allay the fears that are currently abounding amongst the fanbase, so thanks for the info, Tracy.

The harmony within the playing group does seem to be at a good level and, provided AL sticks to the word he has given the Trust regarding interference in the dressing room, (or, lack of from now on) that can only get better. Let's not forget, AL is a former agent and his first foray into club ownership couldn't be further away from that. He may well have been aware that owners of other clubs like to get their fingers in the pie (it's not unheard of at all) and may have believed, somewhat misguidedly, that this was his right. Somehow, I don't see FB and AR standing for it. I hope I'm right.

As for the post on Twatter, I'm not going to either accept it verbatim, or dismiss it out of hand. As Tracy and others have said, it appears to be nothing new. I've tried reading between the lines, added 2 + 2 and may well have come up with 5. However, whilst it's never good to have confrontational ding-dongs with any member of staff in front of others (and, if this is true, AL is in the wrong), was there a possibility that one or more of the playing staff stepped out of line and got a public bollocking because of it? Again, I'm not saying it's right, but was it to make an example of a potential trouble maker? We know CD was pissed off at not being allowed to go to Coventry in January, but it certainly isn't unusual for a club to put a block on a transfer when the player concerned is vital to their cause. CD was top scorer at that point. We could see pretty soon after that, that CD pretty much downed tools. That is unprofessional in the extreme.

Did AL decide who was going to be paid and who wasn't? There must (I hope) have been a bloody good reason. Was it connected to the public bollockings and came under the heading of a club fine?  In all honesty, we don't know and I'm simply speculating as, once again, I'm not voicing an opinion on the post's validity, positive, negative or ambivalent. What I am saying is, it seems to be a very happy ship at the moment and, as long as AL understands his mistakes and learns from them, we could do a bit more than OK this coming season.

So let's try to concentrate on what we all really want; Latics to be a front runner in League 2 and consign this discomfiting period to history. Because, if AL, FB, AR and (I believe) MW get it right and everyone at the club is a happy bunny, we should be heading in the right direction. On the other hand, if all the accusations are true and remain within the club, we can be rightly concerned.

See you all at Forest Green Rovers. At least that will be a different day out. 

1 hour ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

He should allow himself to be interviewed by that Oscar the cat fella on here who said he would cross examine corney during the build up to that fans meeting with SC

Is that the fellow that wanted to put Corney on trial? I thought he was a barrister the way he came across.

2 hours ago, underdog said:

To be fair it's not stuff we all haven't heard someone or read on here. We have just heard it from a player.

At the Trust AGM this week your exiting rep gave an overview of the state of our club and what lessons the new owner is learning.

overview/analogy was if you imagine the big red button on a desk as an alarm, as a Trust we were within 24hours of hitting it under the previous regime just before Al came on board. It's the first time since the Trust inception we have been at that point of making that decision and calling upon certain bodies with regards to the clubs plight.....that's how close we were. Jorvik and the Trust chair were looking how we could tap  into legal advice and were closely monitoring the situations at Blackpool and Carlisle.

The previous owner firmly believed the Trust were behind the HMRC raid, we weren't ...and this has not gone away yet folks. We still have that one to hit the club.

since Al has come on board  we have edge away from that button on a daily basis, it might not feel it like it as we are being hit with testimonies and stories, left right and centre.

Al has learnt the mistakes with regards to the dressing room and we we're told, is keeping firmly away even on match days, to the point he's even considering not staying  with the players in the same hotel if there is a stay over.

hes invested approx £3.5 mil in our club, we might question his sanity...I bloody well would.

As your Trust we remain ever vigilant and now Al now has 2 ex trust Reps and the new Trust rep  to help/guide him. All three with knowedge going back 14 years from the aftermath of the Moore mess and have a good grounding of our club, rules and  regulations we need to adhere etc. I beleive other people will be joining the board with business experience so that can only help him him

i agree clean slate with a certain bedding in period.

Thank you. I like this improved communication. 

2 points stand out 

I think I'd take AL not staying with the team as a sign of learning from mistakes, and a good idea he distances from the team. At least for a few months. 

The £3.5 million, what is happening with that? is it added to the £11m existing debt? 

4 hours ago, singe said:

Thank you. I like this improved communication. 

2 points stand out 

I think I'd take AL not staying with the team as a sign of learning from mistakes, and a good idea he distances from the team. At least for a few months. 

The £3.5 million, what is happening with that? is it added to the £11m existing debt? 

The investment was for the club only.nothing off the other.  I don't have an exact breakdown but if i give it my best guess and off the top  of head: 

Bankrolling us since about Sept time, brought players in,  unsure if negotiating us out of the sports direct deal cost anthing, recent debt to the sports turf company that wasn't his but we were in court and funds that went into the club's account at the time  that were "Moved" (I'm diplomatic there) and he changed it that caused the recent  hiccup. 

Best guess that wages when in league one and for all staff was approxy  £35k a month...

LL and Jorvik might be able to expand if missed anything

This is my best guess I haven't seen anything in writting. 

11 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

The problem was that Wellens had lost the dressing room and could not get the different fractions to work together. 

That must have multiplied the problems. Sounds like there was a divide and conquer approach. 

13 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That must have multiplied the problems. Sounds like there was a divide and conquer approach. 

That was then, however things have moved on for the better. AL has hard lessons the hard way. He now realised that he needed to get in a strong management team with a no nonsense approach. That’s what we have got now with Bunn and Rhodes. AL has also learned that it does no good in interfering with the players and playing side of the business. He is staying away and taking a more distant approach to his ownership. This is why the players are responding well pre season under the new management team. Things have changed for the better. We all need to move on from what happened last year and look forward to the new season. The terraces look good the ground looks great, and we have a new management team who care about Oldham Athletic. Bring the new season on now and let’s enjoy it.!

12 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Don’t understand the mentality behind the people who refuse to accept any of this as truth, or try to twist it into an alterior motive... Very bizarre. 

OK I'm calling you out on this one.

You're right, there are people who struggle to accept the truth, but do you not have the least bit of self-awareness? 

You try to twist things to fit your ulterior motive.  All the time.  Over and over again.  #walktheleague.

Just because you post something frequently doesn't mean your opinion becomes more valid, in fact it makes it more questionable.

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

35k would be way off the mark for all wages at the club I'd say they were nearer 200k.

Sorry I meant per month...and based it on a former CEO coming back with it on a train from London pre Al...maybe that was only to keep us ticking over.

1 minute ago, underdog said:

Sorry I meant per month...and based it on a former CEO coming back with it on a train from London pre Al...maybe that was only to keep us ticking over.

Did you mean per week :D That would be nearer the mark.

9 hours ago, underdog said:

Two stand out points for me. ?

32 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Did you mean per week :D That would be nearer the mark.

35k per week is a reasonable shout but even then seems low.

whatever it is, our regular income has to increase and the only way to do so is to get more non season ticket holders in on match days. And we have to look at increasing income from the peripheral sales. 

Success on the pitch, fans bar, cup run.... way to go.

I think the CD "confession" needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.  I have no idea why he felt the need to write it? Who is he talking too? Its not like he was a massive fans favourite and we were upset he had left? I am sceptical of the motivation to share it.

The criticism of AL is, if what has been said is true, probably more of desperation than of a "clown" If I had invested £3.5m into something and then to see the employees running it into the ground I would probably take some desperate measures. In fact its a wonder some of the players have still got a job with us. 

My opinion is he is someone who for a period couldnt do right for wrong, was attempting to drag his investment out of the shit (caused by all the former employees who liked CD's post) and made mistakes. I feel that all the "information" that has been leaked in the last 2-3 months are from the people who put us in this mess. Its very easy to blame AL, he is a very easy target

2 hours ago, underdog said:

The investment was for the club only.nothing off the other.  I don't have an exact breakdown but if i give it my best guess and off the top  of head: 

Bankrolling us since about Sept time, brought players in,  unsure if negotiating us out of the sports direct deal cost anthing, recent debt to the sports turf company that wasn't his but we were in court and funds that went into the club's account at the time  that were "Moved" (I'm diplomatic there) and he changed it that caused the recent  hiccup. 

Best guess that wages when in league one and for all staff was approxy  £35k a month...

LL and Jorvik might be able to expand if missed anything

This is my best guess I haven't seen anything in writting. 

Again, my thanks for the massive increase in formation.

Clarifying though, is the £3.5m written off, Directors loans, shares, added to the £11million (I  don't mean added to Brass Bank) just additional to the existing debt ie BB £11m+ AL £3.5m would equal £14.5m debt?

9 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

was there a possibility that one or more of the playing staff stepped out of line and got a public bollocking because of it? Again, I'm not saying it's right, but was it to make an example of a potential trouble maker?

Yes. Fane.

It's been interesting to see folk agree (at the time) that Fane shouldn't have been slagging off his fellow professionals but will now slag Abdallah off for him calling Fane out. Clearly Davies didn't like that. Diddums.

9 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Did AL decide who was going to be paid and who wasn't? There must (I hope) have been a bloody good reason.

I'd love AL to come out and say something like...."I arrived last summer, the club was virtually bankrupt. The bank didn't want to know us. Corney was wanting me to pay the wages and I didn't own a thing. I wanted to buy the club and if I didn't pay something, there wasn't going to be a club to buy. So an agreement was put in place that I paid the wages of players I brought to the club, and Corney agreed to pay the players he'd brought to the club."

We know Corney didn't have a pot to piss in. From things I've heard the past 12mths, I'm fairly sure the above won't be far from the truth.

38 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I'd love AL to come out and say something like...."I arri
ved last summer, the club was virtually bankrupt. The bank didn't want to know us. Corney was wanting me to pay the wages and I didn't own a thing. I wanted to buy the club and if I didn't pay something, there wasn't going to be a club to buy. So an agreement was put in place that I paid the wages of players I brought to the club, and Corney agreed to pay the players he'd brought to the club."

We know Corney didn't have a pot to piss in. From things I've heard the past 12mths, I'm fairly sure the above won't be far from the truth.

Pretty sure thats against the rules

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If Lemsagam has put £3.5 million in the last 12 months into the football club and we are still struggling to pay bills then it suggests we have some horrendous historical debt issues probably surrounding the stand.

We almost certainly have. I know of a contractor on the stand who "pulled out" many months ago as he was owed money from the previous regime and there was no prospect of him getting paid. It's no coincidence that major parts of it are unfinished.

Archived