Rotherham (H)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite an entertaining first 10 and last 10 minutes. 

A good point against 8th in the league although we edged it and had the better chances to win it.

Placide - good

Dummigan - had a very good game 

Wilson - reliable as fuck

Gerrard - fine

Edmundson - started a touch shaky but grew into the game and did really well. Unspectacular but solid,

Tope - same as Charlton. Loads of great work that didn't matter, shite with what mattered. 

Pringle - started well then faded. A bit disappointing but clearly a good player. Think he'll be great in a few weeks.

Benyu - looks like he could be very good but was largely shite today. There's something there, let's see.... 

Fane - ace as usual

Gardner - much better than he's been the last few games but still not great. He'll be back to his earlier season self once help arrives and he gets a breather

Davies - put himself about. Scored, again. 

47 minutes ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

I'd say fane got us the point. His running and harassing to stop rovrum from scoring, while Davies was lost upfront. Rovrum GK was kind enough to let Davies goal in too, maybe he should be motm.

In what way did he do well? Score, is that it? That's all I saw. Holloway/duffus should've been brought on with 30mins to go to harass their back four. Instead they had a pretty easy days work. 

He was out-manned for 74 minutes (until Holloway came on), he did well given his lack of support. Holding up the ball, dragging defenders out of the way, the sort of stuff a loan striker needs to do.

Oh Yeah and without him, we'd have lost today. ?

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

No? Abbott? 

Yes.

Let me explain

During the season that shall be reffered to as the Dave Penney season. Pav Abbot did come in for some criticism on this board. It was pointed out that Abbot was the only player that season who appeared capable of locating the opposition goal it was pointed out that many of his goals were penalties as if scoring penalties somehow is less of a goal or doesnt even count (we also did this with Andy Liddell before him)

Now the fact that Davies takes penalties and Holloway doesnt says something that Davies is more capable of putting the ball in the back of the net from 12 yards. Its a skill that anyone who has followed English football for the last 30 years should value. So I would disagree with you about assuming that if Holloway was on penalty duty that he would have as many goals as Davies I would suggest he woukd have missed more.

Edited by GlossopLatic

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yes.

Let me explain

During the season that shall be reffered to as the Dave Penney season. Pav Abbot did come in for some criticism on this board. It was pointed out that Abbot was the only player that season who appeared capable of locating the opposition goal it was pointed out that many of his goals were penalties as if scoring penalties somehow is less of a goal or doesnt even count (we also did this with Andy Liddell begore himm)

Now the fact that Davies takes penalties and Holloway doesnt says something that Davies is more capable of putting the ball in the back of the net. Its a skill that anyone who has followed English football for the last 30 years should value. So I would disagree with you about assuming that if Holloway was on penalty duty that he would have as many goals as Davies I would suggest he woukd have missed more.

A point so well made it deserves to be quoted every time Pawel's Law is questioned.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

He was out-manned for 74 minutes (until Holloway came on), he did well given his lack of support. Holding up the ball, dragging defenders out of the way, the sort of stuff a loan striker needs to do.

Oh Yeah and without him, we'd have lost today. ?

If we had a half decent striker, we would've won. Unfortunately they're all wank so we didn't. Don't make out he's any good, he's awful. Best finisher out of a bad bunch of strikers. That's it. 

8 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Thought Davies was bullied by Wood really. A pumped up Davies can be unplayable at this level, we just don't see it very often. 

He's genuinely one of the thickest footballers I've ever seen play. The talent has always been there, he's just infuriatingly stupid. His decision making at times is atrocious 

27 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Thought Davies was bullied by Wood really. A pumped up Davies can be unplayable at this level, we just don't see it very often. 

Wood and Ajayi are a very good pair at our level, would have been tough going for Davies today. 

Having said that, against Charlie Mulgrew this year, probably the best centre half in the league, Davies battered him. When he's on it, he is very good. He's struggled since Doyle has gone, he's just not got the athleticism to do the lone role for 90 minutes. 

Would never start AAH ahead of him. The guy can't finish his dinner. Davies is on target for 15-20 goals this season, which is way above what most would have expected when we signed him. 

7 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yes.

Let me explain

During the season that shall be reffered to as the Dave Penney season. Pav Abbot did come in for some criticism on this board. It was pointed out that Abbot was the only player that season who appeared capable of locating the opposition goal it was pointed out that many of his goals were penalties as if scoring penalties somehow is less of a goal or doesnt even count (we also did this with Andy Liddell before him)

Now the fact that Davies takes penalties and Holloway doesnt says something that Davies is more capable of putting the ball in the back of the net from 12 yards. Its a skill that anyone who has followed English football for the last 30 years should value. So I would disagree with you about assuming that if Holloway was on penalty duty that he would have as many goals as Davies I would suggest he woukd have missed more.

Not an unreasonable point.  Although I don't think Holloway would have underperformed Davies' record over the last two spot kicks we've had.

8 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yes.

Let me explain

Fair point and taken. But let’s me honest any professional footballer including a goalkeeper should be able to hit the net from 12 yards, having said that we know that this isn’t the case in England !

10 hours ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

So you think that performance was acceptable? He was shite, constantly falls to the ground in a hissy fit just cause he can't hold it up cause, he's weak as fuck. Don't care if he scored, he offered nothing else against an absolutely piss poor team. 

It was our midfield that was shite, Davies hardly got a decent pass all day. Long punts were chased against 2 men and he did OK and scored.

17 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

Craig Davies has scored 11 goals this season, and we’ve only won one of the games that he’s scored in, Northampton at home.

Eion Doyle has scored 14, and we’ve won 6 of the games that he’s scored in. 

2. Bristol Rovers away

Good summary HarryBosch.

If Tope could do the last bit as well as the first we would have won.  Davies did score but that goal was not from open play and we need him to score more from open play.  When I watch him I just feel he is only doing just enough and not really putting himself about - could be carrying an injury I suppose.

The pitch is starting to cut up.

I think the Jewell effect is wearing off in that the team seemed to be more positive.  Trying to win rather than not lose.

Byrne is not the answer.  A fit Doyle, not on the bench for Preston as I was told during the match it was a Boyle, or similar is what we need.  Goals is what we need.

7 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Good summary HarryBosch.

If Tope could do the last bit as well as the first we would have won.  Davies did score but that goal was not from open play and we need him to score more from open play.  When I watch him I just feel he is only doing just enough and not really putting himself about - could be carrying an injury I suppose.

The pitch is starting to cut up.

I think the Jewell effect is wearing off in that the team seemed to be more positive.  Trying to win rather than not lose.

Byrne is not the answer.  A fit Doyle, not on the bench for Preston as I was told during the match it was a Boyle, or similar is what we need.  Goals is what we need.

So it’s Eoin Boyle ? 

Davies was always going to be up against it yesterday, there was far too much ‘lumping it forward’ to the loan striker. I’d have thought we’d seen a bit more football on the park given the new loanees.

Still, a point against a team going for the play-offs and another goal for Davies.

1 minute ago, ShireBlue said:

Davies was always going to be up against it yesterday, there was far too much ‘lumping it forward’ to the loan striker. I’d have thought we’d seen a bit more football on the park given the new loanees.

Still, a point against a team going for the play-offs and another goal for Davies.

Davies isn't on loan. :wink: