Rotherham (H)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Davies thrived playing with Byrne and Doyle and would do so again.

Holloway looks like he struggles to put his boots on the correct feet.

Nonsense. He doesn’t score many but he’s got really skilful feet, easily our most technical striker

Holloway creates chances for others around him and holds the ball up very well. He’s a good option to have 

He just can’t play along side a Davies type as they are so similar, but he could do a job upfront on his own or alongside a doyle type 

Edited by LightDN123

19 hours ago, leeslover said:

But Checkatrade etc goals count treble. They must do, how else could anyone think Danny P is a striker?

Just checked, for Blackpool he's made 24 appearances, and scored precisely 0 goals. In League 2 & FA Trophy.

Backing up your point, in his career, h'e scored 18 LEague goals in 154 appearances.

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

Does he score the sitter that Davies squandered in the first few minutes?

As half the skill of a striker is being in the right place at the right time perhaps the question should be would he have had the opportunity to miss it?

1 hour ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Considering his own sitter he missed against Shrewsbury was it?  I’d say not 

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

As half the skill of a striker is being in the right place at the right time perhaps the question should be would he have had the opportunity to miss it?

?

Goal poachers have the habit of finding a yard of space. I remember a young lad who I saw in non league way back  called Tony Naylor who appeared to be smoking a hamlet cigar as he tapped the ball into the net. He continued to do that when he went into the Championship.

Doyle and Danny Rowe at Fylde are similar.

Edited by BP1960

Holloway's problem, like Tope, is that he snatches at most chances. Most goalscorers concentrate on getting their knee over the ball and hitting the target. Keeping on the move is also an integral part of goal-scoring which, unfortunately none of our strikers,including Davies, seem to possess. Our two current central strikers seem preoccupied with battling with their markers instead of battling to get away from them.

4 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Holloway's problem, like Tope, is that he snatches at most chances. Most goalscorers concentrate on getting their knee over the ball and hitting the target. Keeping on the move is also an integral part of goal-scoring which, unfortunately none of our strikers,including Davies, seem to possess. Our two current central strikers seem preoccupied with battling with their markers instead of battling to get away from them.

This. Ball could be a few yards away but, they're still looking at the man and trying to win a battle they don't need to. 

1 hour ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

This. Ball could be a few yards away but, they're still looking at the man and trying to win a battle they don't need to. 

Where a battle with the defender is useful is when there's 2 up top. At least 3 times on Saturday when Holloway came on he purely made sure his defender couldn't get the ball and made sure it went straight through to Davies.

The problem is they make it so bloody obvious what they're doing so seldom get away with it. Still think that if you make an attempt to get to the ball the ref is less likely to penalize you. You need to be clever when fouling, use your body not your hands, like Lee Hughes was. He used his arse and hips to push people off the ball and invariably got away with it. 

18 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Where a battle with the defender is useful is when there's 2 up top. At least 3 times on Saturday when Holloway came on he purely made sure his defender couldn't get the ball and made sure it went straight through to Davies.

That's obviously fine but, when Davies is doing it on his own, it pisses me off. Should be looking to get on the ball, draw a foul or hold it up and play it to a blue shirt. Don't know what's been up with him this last month or 2 (before Doyle injury too so, that's not an excuse). 

I would agree that there is something a bit down on Davies just recently, I notice it in his lack of aggression compared to the start of the season. He was a complete psycho and was bullying defenders and getting in the faces. Whenever one of our players took a heavy tackle he was the first one on the scene pushing and shoving. But recently he has pulled his head in either through injury, tactics or something else and I don't think it's for the better.  Having said all that though some of the comments on here are just idiotic, for our level and ability to pay wages he is as good as we can expect. 

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

What does Pawel's Law say about his penchant for rebounds from penalties? 

Under Pawel’s Law rebounds from penalties count even less than penalties. I think it is 3:1 penalties and 5:1 rebounds.

What is he on now for the season? 14? So there will still be many people who have him on around 4 goals for the season and want him sold to a rival for £35K.

p.s Can anybody remember who it was that got very very angry about Pawel’s Law? That was funny.