Rotherham (H)

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yes.

Let me explain

During the season that shall be reffered to as the Dave Penney season. Pav Abbot did come in for some criticism on this board. It was pointed out that Abbot was the only player that season who appeared capable of locating the opposition goal it was pointed out that many of his goals were penalties as if scoring penalties somehow is less of a goal or doesnt even count (we also did this with Andy Liddell before him)

Now the fact that Davies takes penalties and Holloway doesnt says something that Davies is more capable of putting the ball in the back of the net from 12 yards. Its a skill that anyone who has followed English football for the last 30 years should value. So I would disagree with you about assuming that if Holloway was on penalty duty that he would have as many goals as Davies I would suggest he woukd have missed more.

The Law and what it covers has been added to over the years....

If a strikers total includes games where he scored more than one goal those goals don't carry the same weight as "singles".

Hat tricks, for example, are anathema to hardline Pawels Law adherents. A stain on the game. 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

If a strikers total includes games where he scored more than one goal those goals don't carry the same weight as "singles".

Hat tricks, for example, are anathema to hardline Pawels Law adherents. A stain on the game. 

And not only was Davies goal not from open play it was also a shite goal apparently. 

23 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Also getting the fourth in a 4-0 win - meaningless. (Not that there's been an awful lot of those).

9 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Also getting the fourth in a 4-0 win - meaningless. (Not that there's been an awful lot of those).

The, "scorer of important goals," rule. I can't remember who but we had someone a few years ago because his goals earned us more points than other people's goals. It's like they have a goal allocation and the cleverer ones miss on purpose if we're still going to lose the game.

14 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yes.

Let me explain

During the season that shall be reffered to as the Dave Penney season. Pav Abbot did come in for some criticism on this board. It was pointed out that Abbot was the only player that season who appeared capable of locating the opposition goal it was pointed out that many of his goals were penalties as if scoring penalties somehow is less of a goal or doesnt even count (we also did this with Andy Liddell before him)

Now the fact that Davies takes penalties and Holloway doesnt says something that Davies is more capable of putting the ball in the back of the net from 12 yards. Its a skill that anyone who has followed English football for the last 30 years should value. So I would disagree with you about assuming that if Holloway was on penalty duty that he would have as many goals as Davies I would suggest he woukd have missed more.

Davies has missed his last two penalties. He shouldn't be allowed to take any more.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Kin ell Jargon Lad :lol:

7 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

So just to get this right then, Davies' goals don't count as goals if either:

a) It doesn't win us the game

b)It's a penalty, or a rebound from a penalty

c)It's a free kick

d)It's played to him from a free kick

Sounds about right, although I'm not sure they count if you score after coming on as a late substitute.

Which I think means he only has 3 or 4 for the season, all in all pretty shit.

2 hours ago, leeslover said:

The, "scorer of important goals," rule. I can't remember who but we had someone a few years ago because his goals earned us more points than other people's goals. It's like they have a goal allocation and the cleverer ones miss on purpose if we're still going to lose the game.

Gary McDonald? Always seemed to score important goals for us.

Well done Davies. You are not my favourite player but thanks for all the goals! Yesterday was a thankless risk with you having a 20metre exclusion zone from any Latics player getting up in support. If RW gets you a partner up front, will help us get back on track. KTF 

4 hours ago, leeslover said:

It wasn't him who I was thinking off. Someone whose goals were statistically more likely to be winners or equaliser.

People on here did use that argument that we shouldn’t have sold 5 goal Philliskirk to Blackpool because all his goals either won the game or got us a draw.

21 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

People on here did use that argument that we shouldn’t have sold 5 goal Philliskirk to Blackpool because all his goals either won the game or got us a draw.

No he won the penalties that got us a goal that we either won or got a draw.

A couple of things I noticed (having watched the highlights out here in Phuket ?? :

Davies shot took a deflection off the first defender on it’s way in.

Davies body language (minimal celebration after scoring and generally) betrays a slightly unhappy boy.

I sincerely hope he is not on his way again - 15 different clubs in his career shows that he simply does not settle anywhere for long.

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I sincerely hope he is not on his way again - 15 different clubs in his career shows that he simply does not settle anywhere for long.

For a club which so rarely has goalscorers it surprises me how little I care if Davies were to leave

He doesn’t do enough in open play to convince me

As well, I reckon a settled side with Holloway partnered with a Doyle type striker, would score as many, if not more, than the same side with Davies and Doyle, even though Davies might get a higher share than Holloway

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Davies thrived playing with Byrne and Doyle and would do so again.

Holloway looks like he struggles to put his boots on the correct feet.

Davies hasn't thrived for a number of weeks and why is his form so dependant on others doing all his donkey work?  Despite his goals I feel a bit meh about him and considering the absolute shite we've had up front the last half dozen seasons that in itself seems a little strange, maybe having Doyle has spoiled us a little bit.

I don’t understand the logic behind some of the posts on here. Davies has scored more goals this season than Holloway has scored in his entire career, yet somehow Holloway is preferred because he holds the ball up better. There’s only one way to beat teams - score goals. Davies on course for a 20+ goal season, Holloway on course for a 2 goal season. I know who will earn more points for the team.