Bury (A)

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

I am not saying it had nothing to do with it. But it wasn't the difference. Peter Clarke's goal was...

Ok I’ll take that - but the Titanic wouldn’t have sunk without the iceberg - Clarke’s goal wouldn’t have happened without the momentum generated by the crowd IMO

16 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

So if the ball crosses the line or not is down to the players? 

A handball that isn’t a handball is the player?

a foul outside the box versus in the box is the players decision?

a foul that isn’t actually a foul is the players decision?

ok 

And none of the players’ decisions are affected by the supporters? Course they are! Your state of mind is affected by feedback from around (from teammates, management team and fans) - and this affects your decision-making. Players are human beings and therefore are not exempt from the rules of human psychology. 

23 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I hope we can all agree that of all the factors that determine the result of a match the supporters would have by far the lowest impact.

Id imagine if you asked players and managers the vast majority would say a crowd can make a big difference to the performance of a team.

7 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Of course the fans can make a difference. Anyone saying otherwise is talking out of their ringpiece.

There’s a difference between a difference and the difference.

The list of things that affect the outcome of a football match is long but the fans are on it. The same way the weather can be on it, the officials can be on it etc.

If football was only decided by the 11 players (and up to 4 substitutes) from either side then it would be a lot more boring than it is.

Anyone who is encouraged performs better than someone who is derided. There are probably no exceptions and certainly no way of measuring it on a football pitch.

Encouragement does however feel pretty damn good at a professional football match, either giving or receiving it.

14 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

There’s a difference between a difference and the difference.

The list of things that affect the outcome of a football match is long but the fans are on it. The same way the weather can be on it, the officials can be on it etc.

If football was only decided by the 11 players (and up to 4 substitutes) from either side then it would be a lot more boring than it is.

4 substitutes ? 

14 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

4 substitutes ? 

Yep for some games that go to extra time a 4th substitute is allowed. City used one in the FA Cup last season. The first (male) 4th substitute was Alvaro Morata when he was at Real Madrid in the Club World Cup 15 months ago.

Edited by rudemedic

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Fans are never the difference in a football match between 22 grown men...

You try telling that to a player like stott who has been onloan at curzon then comes back to fans away at Blackburn and at home to bury. Don’t agree with your logic just because their ‘grown adults’ that fan support ‘cheering & singing’ etc doesn’t help. 

29 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Yep for some games that go to extra time a 4th substitute is allowed. City used one in the FA Cup last season. The first (male) 4th substitute was Alvaro Morata when he was at Real Madrid in the Club World Cup 15 months ago.

Wow I never knew that ! I always thought I was pretty clued up on things like that. Cheers for educating me ?

9 hours ago, adamoafc said:

You try telling that to a player like stott who has been onloan at curzon then comes back to fans away at Blackburn and at home to bury. Don’t agree with your logic just because their ‘grown adults’ that fan support ‘cheering & singing’ etc doesn’t help. 

As I have said many times, I'm not saying it doesn't help. I am saying it is not the difference...

40 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

As I have said many times, I'm not saying it doesn't help. I am saying it is not the difference...

I think In a tight game it would be fair to say it COULD be the difference ? And sometimes it will be the difference ? 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

57 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I think In a tight game it would be fair to say it COULD be the difference ? And sometimes it will be the difference ? 

Nah. Not having it. Take the Chesterfield game. Are we saying Peter Clarke headed the ball into the net because our fans were singing all through the 2nd half...?

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nah. Not having it. Take the Chesterfield game. Are we saying Peter Clarke headed the ball into the net because our fans were singing all through the 2nd half...?

No I was at that match and I’m saying without the support we would have threw the towel in long before and not have been in the position fir Clarke’s goal to have been a winner. We created a real backs to the wall atmosphere. I think the players efforts were driven by the fans non stop encouragement!