Doncaster

If you look back long, long ago to RW's first 6 league games after Shez went (seems a lifetime ago) we won 4 and drew 2 (and should have beaten Franchise in that run rather than drawing 4-4).

The largely settled team had 9 players starting every one of those games: Placide, Bryan, Clarke, Hunt, Fane, Byrne, Gardner, Davies and Doyle. The only changes were Dummigan for Wilson after the Peterborough game, and Menig for Nepo after the Bradford game.

Of the 13 starters, Clarke isn't available (surely an error, with hindsight), Dummigan is injured, Menig has gone and Davies doesn't look fit. Bryan may or may not be back? I'm not sure why Nepo has hardly featured and those who've seen more of him will know better than me, but our better results seemed to happen when he was starting. 

We've surely got to revert as much as possible to the line up, formation and tactics of that six game run, and given that we're fairly likely to concede, we have to take our chances. Stating the obvious, I admit. But looking at the six teams we played in September/October, apart from Franchise and Bury, now relegated, the others are all top 10: Peterborough (9th, won 3-2), Portsmouth (8th, won 2-1), Blackburn (2nd, promoted, won 1-0) and Bradford (10th, drew 1-1). The difference between potential and reality in this group of players is startling.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Placide

Hamer Edmundson Stott Hunt

Gardner Byrne Pringle Nepo

Nazon

Doyle

Hard to disagree with most of that, but that back four looks horribly inexperienced for such a crucial game. Is Gerrard crocked then? There were rumours Bryan might be back, but presumably not the case? If that is the line up, reckon we'll need to score at least three to win.

7 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

If you look back long, long ago to RW's first 6 league games after Shez went (seems a lifetime ago) we won 4 and drew 2 (and should have beaten Franchise in that run rather than drawing 4-4).

The largely settled team had 9 players starting every one of those games: Placide, Bryan, Clarke, Hunt, Fane, Byrne, Gardner, Davies and Doyle. The only changes were Dummigan for Wilson after the Peterborough game, and Menig for Nepo after the Bradford game.

Of the 13 starters, Clarke isn't available (surely an error, with hindsight), Dummigan is injured, Menig has gone and Davies doesn't look fit. Bryan may or may not be back? I'm not sure why Nepo has hardly featured and those who've seen more of him will know better than me, but our better results seemed to happen when he was starting. 

We've surely got to revert as much as possible to the line up, formation and tactics of that six game run, and given that we're fairly likely to concede, we have to take our chances. Stating the obvious, I admit. But looking at the six teams we played in September/October, apart from Franchise and Bury, now relegated, the others are all top 10: Peterborough (9th, won 3-2), Portsmouth (8th, won 2-1), Blackburn (2nd, promoted, won 1-0) and Bradford (10th, drew 1-1). The difference between potential and reality in this group of players is startling.

Been saying this for weeks. Why hasn't Nepo featured more often? He did have a poor game one week where his crossing was poor but I don't think he did bad enough to not be considered for weeks on end. He's a tidy hard working player who can find half a yard for a cross.  BUt agree with the rest. I've said id go with Doyle and Duck up front but really we just need to throw the kitchen sink at Doncaster, we won't keep a clean sheet so we need to create chances and put em away. Easier said than done. 

Edited by bluehobbit

2 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Hard to disagree with most of that, but that back four looks horribly inexperienced for such a crucial game. Is Gerrard crocked then? There were rumours Bryan might be back, but presumably not the case? If that is the line up, reckon we'll need to score at least three to win.

Vibes are saying he is out.

To me you are a goal down from the start when Wilson plays, Edmundson and Stott might just thrive off the occasion.

Whatever the team we need to make sure we stay in the game in the first half, no need for gung ho tactics.

A midfield 4 of Nepo, Pringle, Byrne and Gardner, with Gardner playing the wider of those 3 seems to make sense at this stage.

Although Doyle and Davies are both currently off the ball in terms of scoring they have still been creating chances in the last couple of games (Davies volley just before Wimbledon's first goal) and a couple for Doyle vs Southend.  So injury permitting I'd start those 2 up front.

Back 4?  Fuck knows what to do with that.

3 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ha. Byrne definitely more guilty of this. Plenty of times when a full back gets the ball and can bomb forward yet there is Byrne stood at the side demanding the ball rather than getting up the pitch.

Byrne is more guilty of a lot of things but not in needlessly slowing the ball down.  Fanny has to slow things down just to ensure he doesnt fall over his own feet.

On Tuesday once moved inside Byrne very quickly indeed played a couple of gorgeous diagonal passes into the forwards runs.

I think you mean that his positioning is poor which is no doubt true but the manager should have sorted that out by now. It shows weakness.

When we get freekicks just inside our own half Byrne comes short demanding the ball. He should be told to eff up towards their area.

Gerrard usually passes it 5 yards to him-the thick scouser

Moimbe needs to come back in. Don't care that he has cost us, he is the best full back we have. Adds attacking intent out wide. 

Hunt at right back. Edmundson hopefully with Gerrard.

I've no faith that Wellens will play with width, we have needed that for a month and he has ignored it. It's going to cost him his job. 

4 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Moimbe needs to come back in. Don't care that he has cost us, he is the best full back we have. Adds attacking intent out wide. 

Hunt at right back. Edmundson hopefully with Gerrard.

I've no faith that Wellens will play with width, we have needed that for a month and he has ignored it. It's going to cost him his job. 

Moimbe is still out 

Fane will start as Wellens thinks he is fantastic.  I wouldn't go that far but don't believe the stick he gets is fair.

Nazon has to start because Davies didn't look fit or bothered on Tuesday.  Holloway appears the obvious replacement for Davies but we have seen the best of him when coming on as a substitute.  So I would play Doyle and Duck up front.  Doyle in the hope that his form returns and Duck so he has fewer people to beat before getting a shot off.

Sadly Wilson didn't look bother Tuesday so he shouldn't start.  Stott and Edmundson with Hunt and Hamer protected by Fane and Gardiner with Johny in goal is my choice.  That leaves two spots.  I would be tempted to drop Byrne and bring him on after he has stewed on the bench which leaves Nepo and Pringle to start.  We should leave the gung ho stuff until the team has settled down because attack is not our best form of defence.

Losing would be a downer but a draw is acceptable.  A win and we should stay up due to the magic number 51.

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I've seen a few people suggest there should be a big crowd.

Why? 

I'm expecting a shocking attendance.. 

The theory being the bigger jeopardy the bigger the interest, I remember Notts County bringing a right few to us a few years ago.

Think there will be some long faces upstairs if it doesn't top 7000.

I'd be amazed if its over 5.5K factoring in atleast 700 from Donny, if it was the last game of the season and we needed to win to stay up then a few more will turn out but its second to last so their won't be the urgency.

If we need to win at Northampton then expect a sell out plus however many can get into the home ends and on the hill at the back.