Morecambe (a)

Albeit, it wasn’t a good performance, it was certainly a very professional one. With leaders in the back line in Taylor and Clarke complimented by the ever improving Edmundson and general 6/10 Rob Hunt we are starting to have a solid base to build on, a bit like under Steve Robinson. This is clearly aided with the fact our keeper looks extremely competent and very reliable when called into action.

With having a base as solid as that to work with and build to the front on it is clear to see that we are not quite the finished article offensively. Gardner has been okay, notably first couple of games where he took the initiative to pull us through tricky periods of games. Missilou and Branger are acclimatising the English football and given how long it took some last season, I think they’re doing okay. Nepo for me has been disappointing so far but great finish on Saturday, hopefully that will spark his season into action.

Up top, O’Grady, I am a big critic of however again it’s clear to see that he works his tripe off and has done an okay job in the first 5 games. Also nice to see him get on the scoresheet on Saturday and will hopefully give him the base he needs to build on (got the monkey off his back so to speak).

Still think we missed Surridge but a positive that we won and were not pressurised into risking him, Bunn eluded to it being a marathon not a sprint and as such would take time on getting players back to full fitness.

What has impressed me is that despite not playing that well we have picked up 8 points from 5 games, unbeaten in 4 and only lost 1 which was to the team who occupies 1st place in the division at present. As well as this, different players are contributing and scoring. Already we have had Miller, Surridge and O’Grady all score as well as Branger, Nepo and Gardner contributing so far. Baxter is yet to come back to full fitness but his quality certainly hasn’t deserted him.

Improvement needed granted but plenty of positives to take from the opening 5 including a steady points tally to build from.

2 home games now coming up, Crawley and Newport. Should be looking for 6 points, would take 4 (just about) but an opportunity now to turn this from a steady start into a good start.

Onto Saturday we go.

XG is a good little stat if you know what you're looking at. Like any statistic it can be used in conjunction with how you viewed the game to process your thoughts about it.

Bear in mind that while he does a good job putting it together, the experimental361 guy puts it together based on the BBC match feed, which is only a rough guide at the best of times.

You might often find if one side goes 2 goals up early, they come out on the wrong end of XG. This is because the opposition has to throw everything they have into getting back into it, while the team in the lead has less inclination to creating chances of their own. In my following of the NHL, they call this score effects. https://www.tsn.ca/talent/score-effects-provide-critical-context-in-stats-analysis-1.365877

38 minutes ago, Simpo said:

XG is a good little stat if you know what you're looking at. Like any statistic it can be used in conjunction with how you viewed the game to process your thoughts about it.

Bear in mind that while he does a good job putting it together, the experimental361 guy puts it together based on the BBC match feed, which is only a rough guide at the best of times.

And there's my point in a nutshell.  I can see tha at the top level when the game is pored over by banks of analysts these sorts of stats may be useful but using a BBC text commentary is laughable if anyone is seeking accuracy.  How can the quality of a chance measured usung that (that's a rhetorical question or the avoidance of doubt)

Just now, Hometownclub said:

She didn't really have any choice though, being from Essex. <_<

Is she? I thought she was a Manc? 

If I were PM, I'd be looking to bring in a Law that listed - on your birth certificate - the clubs you were allowed to choose from. If you strayed, it would become an arrestable offence..... and before anyone starts, you could carry over those clubs listed on your parent birth certificates / could apply for a residency visa that added clubs should you relocate to another part of the country. Other than that, you can f*ck off.  :tongue1:

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't know, having spent some time there it's also littered with plenty of Spurs fans, weird fucking place at the best of times.

As from many parts of Essex Spurs is the nearest club it's not that weird.  Essex is two very different places - North & South.

36 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

And there's my point in a nutshell.  I can see tha at the top level when the game is pored over by banks of analysts these sorts of stats may be useful but using a BBC text commentary is laughable if anyone is seeking accuracy.  How can the quality of a chance measured usung that (that's a rhetorical question or the avoidance of doubt)

You'll have to excuse me, I think he pays for in-depth data from another source. I misinterpreted this tweet: