Morecambe (a)

8 hours ago, otid said:

I post very rarely these days, having learned that it is far too easy to make a tit of oneself by typing what you think is sense, to an audience that is likely anything but the mirror you think you are relating to. Overly simplified, there are usually seven or eight types of supporter depending on age, length of time supporting, mental maturity and the positive and negative outlooks among us.

What strikes me as odd over the past twenty four hours or so is how many people seemingly defy their attitude toward players and club in comparison to their behaviour yesterday afternoon. There was a unity among all in the stands....a feel good factor the likes of which i've not seen for a while. There was certainly a connection to the players and staff throughout and particularly at the end of the game. A huge number stayed on after the final whistle for quite a while, and the bond between fans and players was evident.

I'm among the first to admit that we were lucky to get away with 2-0. I'll take issue wuith those who complain we were overrun in the second half, because i believe if we'd gone in 0-0 at HT, we would have adopted different tactics after the break than we ultimately did, having gone in with a lead that yes, flattered us a bit. Despite how it turned out, we take the win and move on, just as we would were it a defeat....but i have to say i saw not one angry man or woman leaving the stadium yesterday....just a jubilant bunch and yes, a few, myself included who were discussing with others the fact that Morecambe were a tad unlucky to come away with nowt.

How it is then, that so many are suddenly aghast at how poor we are, both as a team and as a club. After such a terrific day out and such a feeling of euphoria and unity at the end, this message board today is somewhat baffling. It's almost as if the drive home passed through some sort of barrier whereupon the feel good factor was washed away by the reality of returning to Oldham. It comes across to me as  some strange denial whereby people are embarrassed to have had a good time yesterday!

Well said.

thats social media for you. Most people say things only to provock a reaction and spend hours debating shite as they have little else to do with their lives. Most people are pragmatic and reasonable in their proper views, which do not actually reflect what people stick on this board. It's not real life. 

please see this context before biting 

8 hours ago, otid said:

I post very rarely these days, having learned that it is far too easy to make a tit of oneself by typing what you think is sense, to an audience that is likely anything but the mirror you think you are relating to. Overly simplified, there are usually seven or eight types of supporter depending on age, length of time supporting, mental maturity and the positive and negative outlooks among us.

What strikes me as odd over the past twenty four hours or so is how many people seemingly defy their attitude toward players and club in comparison to their behaviour yesterday afternoon. There was a unity among all in the stands....a feel good factor the likes of which i've not seen for a while. There was certainly a connection to the players and staff throughout and particularly at the end of the game. A huge number stayed on after the final whistle for quite a while, and the bond between fans and players was evident.

I'm among the first to admit that we were lucky to get away with 2-0. I'll take issue wuith those who complain we were overrun in the second half, because i believe if we'd gone in 0-0 at HT, we would have adopted different tactics after the break than we ultimately did, having gone in with a lead that yes, flattered us a bit. Despite how it turned out, we take the win and move on, just as we would were it a defeat....but i have to say i saw not one angry man or woman leaving the stadium yesterday....just a jubilant bunch and yes, a few, myself included who were discussing with others the fact that Morecambe were a tad unlucky to come away with nowt.

How it is then, that so many are suddenly aghast at how poor we are, both as a team and as a club. After such a terrific day out and such a feeling of euphoria and unity at the end, this message board today is somewhat baffling. It's almost as if the drive home passed through some sort of barrier whereupon the feel good factor was washed away by the reality of returning to Oldham. It comes across to me as  some strange denial whereby people are embarrassed to have had a good time yesterday!

the beers worn off ?

9 hours ago, otid said:

It is clear to me that we are pacing ourselves.

For two minutes on Saturday, we were better than beautiful Barca. 

For the other 88, we made sure that we won ugly.

14 hours ago, disjointed said:

Spot on Jorvik. Certain posters immediately attack even reasonable posts because of previous spats. A bit of Civility never harmed anyone. 

Our daughter is a civil engineer which means she can now pass a spanner with dignity instead of just chucking it at me.

• Like 1

Defence was exploited 3 times. Free kick in first half for open shot on goal.

1v1 first half where their lad missed time the chip

second half free header back post.

another day they go in.

My issue is how Bunn just packed up. We should have gone for it because they were shaky at the back but he was happy to risk it and sit and cling on. 

Decent day out. As others have said, didn’t play well but we won, which is usually a good sign.

My god, the quality was poor though. I’ve watched a lot of non league football so I don’t consider myself a snob, but I hope we see some better football in the weeks to come.

3 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Defence was exploited 3 times.

Not really exploited it they don't score - more like exposed. BUT will agree that "shutting up shop" isn't a good idea, scoring more goals usually works better. I think as the team gels and we get a full compliment available we'll have the confidence to continue on the offensive and score more.

You would have thought as a ex striker and someone who played under joe would be a bit more daring in attack.

at Macclesfield we were crying out for a more attacking change to take the pressure off.

BUT whilst we’re grinding out results I am happy to trust Bunn, if we start throwing away winning positions I’m sure my opinion will change 

For me, the lack of ambition comments would be justified if we went for a point. We did absolutely nowt in the 2nd half - but we were 2-0 up.  It wasn't even a 1 goal lead, it was 2. There wasn't any need to go for it more than we did.

I'll take that every game.

We probably had the easiest chance of the second half to make it three, Morecambe by all accounts have been unlucky in the majority of games they've played and just aren't getting the rub at the moment, glad we have finally started getting lucky it's about time and I'm not going to knock it, our spirit will stand us in good stead it's just the glaring lack of quality which will be our downfall against the better teams in the division.

2 hours ago, pukka said:

For me, the lack of ambition comments would be justified if we went for a point. We did absolutely nowt in the 2nd half - but we were 2-0 up.  It wasn't even a 1 goal lead, it was 2. There wasn't any need to go for it more than we did.

I'll take that every game.

This was the problem we had in loads of games last season but in reverse. 

Being defensive to stop a side with only 45 minutes to turn round a 2 goal deficit will work over 95% of the time. 

3 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

My issue is how Bunn just packed up. We should have gone for it because they were shaky at the back but he was happy to risk it and sit and cling on

At the moment, Bunn’s approach is that we protect what we have (all back at corners, bolster the defence once we have the lead) and we look to play a percentage game - long ball pick up the knock downs etc.  

He may play a more expansive game as we grow in confidence and if we bring in one or two more decent players. 

‘happy to risk it’?  There’s an element of risk in any approach. My personal view is that I would like to see a more adventurous approach but I will back his judgement as we continue to improve. 

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

At the moment, Bunn’s approach is that we protect what we have (all back at corners, bolster the defence once we have the lead) and we look to play a percentage game - long ball pick up the knock downs etc.  

He may play a more expansive game as we grow in confidence and if we bring in one or two more decent players. 

‘happy to risk it’?  There’s an element of risk in any approach. My personal view is that I would like to see a more adventurous approach but I will back his judgement as we continue to improve. 

Spot on mate, I fully agree with your reasoning here.

Bunn should know well enough about swashbuckling football and may remember how we used to concede goals but score more, that was our style.

That is great to watch but we don't have the players for that or the team isn't ready to go all out attack. We are grinding out results and holding onto leads, not pretty but it is working just now.

Will have to change that approach as we get more games under our belt but for now we are doing Ok without setting the world on fire.

5 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Defence was exploited 3 times. Free kick in first half for open shot on goal.

1v1 first half where their lad missed time the chip

second half free header back post.

another day they go in.

My issue is how Bunn just packed up. We should have gone for it because they were shaky at the back but he was happy to risk it and sit and cling on. 

Bunn says it was the players who sat too deep, not that he told them to hold on to the lead.

I also think it's a bad idea to try and hold on to a lead. It's worked so far but there are better teams which will make better use of their chances. When a team is two up and the opposition get one back, it gives them even more impetus to get another. 3 points are soon dropped to 1 or even 0. If we keep threatening teams when leading, they have to think twice about going all out and have to leave ample cover at the back.

58 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Which, I would suggest, confirms what a load of bollocks that is.

Not really. Think anyone who was there would say Morecambe could have scored more than us on another day. 

Ipswich were top of the Championship last year after winning the first 5 in a row or something, but xG suggested they were massively outperforming themselves, scoring with basically every chance, while opposition weren't taking theirs. That won't last over 46 games. 

It's unsustainable (generally) to concede more opportunities than you create and be successful. 

1 minute ago, josh_latics said:

Not really. Think anyone who was there would say Morecambe could have scored more than us on another day. 

Ipswich were top of the Championship last year after winning the first 5 in a row or something, but xG suggested they were massively outperforming themselves, scoring with basically every chance, while opposition weren't taking theirs. That won't last over 46 games. 

It's unsustainable (generally) to concede more opportunities than you create and be successful. 

Who calculates the numbers at this level?