Carlisle United (H)

17 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

I don’t disagree that he was poor, I’d rather have seen Hamer there. Tell me this then - if he was part of a back 3 in the first half, why was he playing right back and taking the throw ins? 

The outside defender of a 3 tends to take throw ins... and graham has a decent throw on him! 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

The kids match at half time was great to watch. The team wearing the light blue stripes had the best player on the pitch in their number 7 - she scored 4 and looked a top player. ?

As for the game itself... as many have already posted on here, 3-5-2 simply did not work. Graham looked poor, Edmundson had his worst game of the season.

Baxter just doesn’t look like the player he was during his first spell at the club. 

From my perspective, three emerged with any credit from yesterday:

Miller first half out wide was a real handful and showed some real pace...

Gardner worked hard and was my MotM 

Lang made the goal and should have scored with the header late on

Apart from that, it was a failed plan B. Whether the wages fiasco affected the performance I don’t know - but it cannot have helped. Once again the opposition players were quicker to the ball and more skillled when in possession.

Wow ? we are bad to watch this season ?

Shocked that you think Gardner was MOTM. Poor on the ball, pulled out of every 50/50 poor attitude from him for me the last few weeks. 

Only player for me who came out with any credit who started was miller got to be MOTM. His strength and his ability to out pace a man (only over a short distance granted) is surprising for his build. Hope he hasn’t pulled his hamstring and was just feeling it was abit tight so came off instead. Would be playing him everyday over OGrady. 

Subs looked lively barring OGrady who killed any chance of a comeback. 

Wound me up why Bunn left it so long without changing tactics. First 15 mins we could see it wasn’t working. He only seems to react when we concede. Graham for me would have been dragged off after 15 mins. How that lad is playing ahead of hamer I will never know. Waste of a wage especially if we can’t pay players wages. 

I always had Baxter as a forward either up to or just in the hole. Never had him as a midfielder. Don't fit players in if they not good enough to play were they should they have to be on the bench till they get the opportunity to prove otherwise in their correct position. But it goes all the way to international level of fitting players in so not just a bunn problem

16 minutes ago, OAFCinWolves said:

I always had Baxter as a forward either up to or just in the hole. Never had him as a midfielder. Don't fit players in if they not good enough to play were they should they have to be on the bench till they get the opportunity to prove otherwise in their correct position. But it goes all the way to international level of fitting players in so not just a bunn problem

Didn’t baxter play CM along side weslowski when we beat Liverpool? Sure he played CM or behind the strikers never had him as a striker I don’t think. 

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Who was out of position?

3 hours ago, stevesidg said:

At least three 

george at the left of a back 3

graham being on the pitch 

taylor at ‘left wing ‘

What Steve said.

Also left mid right footed Lang. He is a striker according to many.

Although the through ball for Miller's goal was excellent.

At times, Surridge had to come deep just to get a sniff of the ball.

The formation confused the shit out of every player and the puported change to 4-4-2 after 15 minutes made it worse.

To be fair to Graham, he never strayed from his designated position, (almost like he was standing on a gaffer tape cross) which Carlisle exploited at will.  

We are 11 games into the season and we looked like a team of strangers.

We got nothing from the game. We deserved less.

Edited by L1onheartNew

Looking back on yesterday Graham should never play again, he's had chance after chance and is frankly shite, makes some dreadful errors and the concentration level is piss poor.

We have a team currently who are so inconsistent and can't put in a performance where every man just has a solid game, each week it's a different two or three who are piss poor and it's so infuriating to watch because everyone of them is capable at this level,.

Carlisle did a job on us they were hungrier and out battled us which is disappointing because if nothing is going for you then you should never lose your heart and pride, when we had a go at them they looked vulnerable bit they just worked that bit harder than us and didn't shit out of anything like one or two of ours did.

Big job for Bunn now this and the table all of a sudden looks very different, hope he's had them in today and double sessions all week because some of them players let him and the fans down yesterday.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Looking back on yesterday Graham should never play again, he's had chance after chance and is frankly shite, makes some dreadful errors and the concentration level is piss poor.

We have a team currently who are so inconsistent and can't put in a performance where every man just has a solid game, each week it's a different two or three who are piss poor and it's so infuriating to watch because everyone of them is capable at this level,.

Carlisle did a job on us they were hungrier and out battled us which is disappointing because if nothing is going for you then you should never lose your heart and pride, when we had a go at them they looked vulnerable bit they just worked that bit harder than us and didn't shit out of anything like one or two of ours did.

Big job for Bunn now this and the table all of a sudden looks very different, hope he's had them in today and double sessions all week because some of them players let him and the fans down yesterday.

I agree on Graham.  Indecisive, slow and clumsy... send him back.  

Hamer is a far better player. 

Last season Lang scored 10 goals playing upfront for a very poor Morecambe side , we play him in midfield or wide.

Yesterday we should have had Lang & Surridge running down the channels for through balls against Gerrard. 

Piss poor management to stand & watch a complete fiasco for 45 mins then send out the same 11 to deploy the same system in the second half.

Sometimes managers are either too stubborn or too thick to change, I get the impression Bunn is the both.

55 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Graham over Hamer is a completely baffling one. It's almost like, if we don't use Graham in a certain amount of games, then we have to pay Sheffield United more money...

I suspect this is true, which is a ludicrous deal for a 17 year old with no pedigree. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Graham over Hamer is a completely baffling one. It's almost like, if we don't use Graham in a certain amount of games, then we have to pay Sheffield United more some  money...

Think that may be nearer the mark

6 hours ago, JoeP said:

Defence - Taylor, Clark and George had been doing alright until yesterday, but not convinced by Graham or Hunt. Could Hamer fit into that back four?

I've been really disappointed with Taylor, he's been pretty wank so far. Hunt LB for me, Dummy on the right.

33 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I've been really disappointed with Taylor, he's been pretty wank so far. Hunt LB for me, Dummy on the right.

He's been alright in the games I've seen. Delivers a good ball in too..

Forgot about Dummigan. Him over Hunt on the right, definitely. 

A few observations.....

FB was irritated in both his pre and post Carlisle interviews when it was mentioned that the goals had dried up somewhat.

He was quick to remind us that the dry spell has only been for two games, plus we have only conceded one goal away this season and scored 16 goals in 10 games (it was actually 15 in 11 games).

There’s nothing wrong with looking at the positives of course, but you can always look at things from different angles. For instance 9 of our goals have come in 3 games (Macclesfield, Grimsby and Colchester) so effectively we’ve scored 6 in 8 games, four of those matches we haven’t scored at all.

He seems to be getting a bit prickly if the questions or observations are in any way construed as negative by him.

I thought that the Carlisle performance was similar to the Colchester one. The defending was terrible in both games, 5 of the 6 goals conceded were purely down to the defending. The exception being the 3rd Carlisle goal, the forward was just too good and scored a very skilful goal.

Both matches showed us doing a lot of huffing and puffing with very little end product, something that we’ve seen too much of at Boundary Park in recent years.

Meaningless passing between the goalkeeper and defenders, as well as the midfield players. We end up putting ourselves under pressure when we are the ones in possession.

We need to get the ball forward much much quicker and get the ball into the opposition penalty area quicker.

We sometimes have a lot of possession but do very little with it, we don’t work the opposition goalkeepers anywhere near enough.

Gardner tries his best every game and is the most comfortable player on the ball apart from Baxter, but he is so one footed it’s untrue! Yesterday he got to the byeline down the left but had to cross it with the outside of his right foot. Surely if he’s going to do runs like that it should be down the right hand side?

The 3-5-2 formation was a disaster and I could not understand why he didn’t change it much earlier than he did. At least when they play 4-4-2 they do look like each player knows what they should be doing, although that doesn’t explain the Colchester performance.

I was really looking forward to seeing Surridge running at Gerrard and turning him inside out, but I don’t remember seeing him run at him once! Surely that would be discussed in the days leading up to the match?

The one thing where I do think he’s got it right is with José. I was one of those crying out for Baxter to start but yesterday he was virtually anonymous. Maybe Bunn was right when he’s said that he’s better off coming on in the second half and unpicking a tiring defence.

Oh and why isn’t Tom Hamer getting a look in? He’s young, fit, quick, and his long throw-in’s can surely be utilised?

I’m aware that this post is sounding a bit negative and i’m usually a ‘glass half full’ supporter when it comes to Latics.

I still am, and we can get going again after this run of 3 points from a possible 12, but we’ve got to start being more positive both at home and away.

COYB ⚽

8 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

The one thing where I do think he’s got it right is with José. I was one of those crying out for Baxter to start but yesterday he was virtually anonymous. Maybe Bunn was right when he’s said that he’s better off coming on in the second half and unpicking a tiring defence. 

It might come as a surprise to some, but occasionally the manager knows better than the fans. There's clearly a fitness issue with Jose, rather than Bunn just "not fancying him". Think the 3-5-2 formation might have been used to compliment Baxter and, yes, it failed.

One positive from yesterday could be that we can put to bed the "Why isn't Jose starting?" saga. For whatever reason, he's not ready to start. 

What a player to have come off the bench to make things happen in close games for the last twenty odd minutes..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

It might come as a surprise to some, but occasionally the manager knows better than the fans. There's clearly a fitness issue with Jose, rather than Bunn just "not fancying him". Think the 3-5-2 formation might have been used to compliment Baxter and, yes, it failed.

One positive from yesterday could be that we can put to bed the "Why isn't Jose starting?" saga. For whatever reason, he's not ready to start. 

What a player to have come off the bench to make things happen in close games for the last twenty odd minutes..

The formation failed miserably and yes of course the manager knows better than the fans, but pretty much everyone could see that it wasn’t working yesterday, it made it all the more irritating and mystifying that he didn’t change things a lot quicker than he did. Carlisle’s first goal came as no surprise, they were easily the better team in the first 20-30 mins, part of the reason for that was that we didn’t seem to have a clue what we were doing at the back. In my opinion he should have reverted to 4-4-2 midway through the first half, he left it far far too late.

9 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

I bought a peppered steak pie and was surprised to find out it was nice.

That was also my highlight for  Saturday...small things 

Baxters  best days may have gone. He can still pass a ball but is his fitness going to get better..is he injured? He was always good technically but never an athelete. He used to run like a hunchback  I can't remember him running at full speed yet. 

352 didn't suit us and needed  changing quicker. Let's hope lessons are learned and hamer comes back into the squad and nepo  isn't binned off again

Edited by bluehobbit

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

It may also come as a surprise to some that the odd manager is clueless and the majority of fans can sense impending disaster only to see the manager hands on hips, shoulders slouched with his head down, if he knows better he'd of dragged Graham off after ten minutes and at worst halftime when he was quite clearly struggling to play in the position he'd been asked, yet again we are stuck with a shite defender making his mistakes at the teams expense, not reacting yesterday was criminal and chucking everyone on at three nil down after the horse had bolted summed his day up.

58 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It may also come as a surprise to some that the odd manager is clueless and the majority of fans can sense impending disaster only to see the manager hands on hips, shoulders slouched with his head down, if he knows better he'd of dragged Graham off after ten minutes and at worst halftime when he was quite clearly struggling to play in the position he'd been asked, yet again we are stuck with a shite defender making his mistakes at the teams expense, not reacting yesterday was criminal and chucking everyone on at three nil down after the horse had bolted summed his day up.

Graham should been took off after that tackle he was gash at Forest Green and I haven’t seen anything that makes sense in keeping him at the club when we have Tom Hamer  who could get more game time