Carlisle United (H)

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

What gets me is that when Bunn arrived it was all the "ohh, I know the club" etc. Well know that we'd mostly prefer to see us play a 4-4-2, especially when we've got players more likely to do better in it. Couple that with the fact he played in a 4-4-2 most of his career and you'd think he'd want to try and get us playing with wingers with FB's interlinking.

He's gone from playing 3 upfront at home which doesn't work (had to change it in the 3-3 draw) to 3 at the back. The 3 upfront previously was seeing strikers playing LF/RF and pushed out wide miles away from O Grady in the middle and asking them to cross the ball in. On Saturday, the 2 upfront were buggered coz we were asking full backs to play as wing backs which led to us having no width at all. And led to Miller having to go out wide and try and make magic happen and little else in the middle.

I know he probably thinks this is modern day styled football but I'd rather he tried a proper 4-4-2 and keep Surridge as close to OG/Miller (whichever plays) as possible. Engone and Nepu have shown they can run the wings and with some support from the FB's the system has more chance of working than any 3 at the back or up top.

Can’t disagree with any of this. ?

6 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Hunt and Taylor for a start. Full backs, not wingbacks. Led to Miller having to come out wide all the time until we were 3-0 down and Bunn changed it.

I bought one and thought it was shit. Not as shit as the Chicken Balti I had the previous game that's never seen a chicken.

I had the steak last match was ok, I had the chicken Balti this time. It was terrible!

7 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

He’ll be playing for 0-0 in the next home game. This result will have shaken him.

That’s the big concern, he took a risk went for a bit more entertainment. It failed miserably, so now he will revert to a bore fest.  Only plus was miller if he can play like that all season, he should get a fair few. His pace surprises me, he is powerful and strong.

21 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Good point. Especially with COG and Miller you would think the game plan would be to deliver as many balls into the box as possible 

That’s a great plan, but the wingers can’t cross. I’d actually put miller out there he can cut in, he terrified the defence. First time Ive seen Lang but for me he’s a starter. 

4-3-3 for me.

Iversen

Hunt-Clarke-Eddie-Dummy

Gardner-Baxter-Missilou

Surridge-Miller-Lang

Particularly at home, get the fullbacks forward, not like teams commit numbers forward, and Gardner/Missilou can support the centre backs when Hunt/Dummy piling forward. Surridge/Lang have license to roam, but not too bloody wide all the time.

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I haven’t seen anything of missle to suggest he warrants a starting place, Ive hardly seen him touch the ball!

He's not there to touch the ball, he's there to kick the opposition. He's basically Fane, but with (slightly) improved passing skills - he can find a man 5 yards away.

39 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

He's not there to touch the ball, he's there to kick the opposition. He's basically Fane, but with (slightly) improved passing skills - he can find a man 5 yards away.

He reads the game better too. Fane's physicality gives him a bit more leeway in that department though. 

Despite saturdays shower I wouldnt be against us using 3-5-2 again.

Hear me out

The reason many people suggested it before saturday is because we have the players to play it. However in hindsight if we were going to try a new system saturday wasnt the time. We played on tuesday so will have had wednesday off having not trained on thursday because the owner doesnt appear to understand the concept of paying staff. Do really we had 1 day to prepare it in training its not sufficient time to prepare really if you are trying a new system. You need 4-5 days for that. Plus when you consider the effect on moral of the players not being paid then what we saw had a certain inevitability about it. I do however expect us to revert back to 4-4-2 in the next few games.

20 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Despite saturdays shower I wouldnt be against us using 3-5-2 again.

Hear me out

The reason many people suggested it before saturday is because we have the players to play it. However in hindsight if we were going to try a new system saturday wasnt the time. We played on tuesday so will have had wednesday off having not trained on thursday because the owner doesnt appear to understand the concept of paying staff. Do really we had 1 day to prepare it in training its not sufficient time to prepare really if you are trying a new system. You need 4-5 days for that. Plus when you consider the effect on moral of the players not being paid then what we saw had a certain inevitability about it. I do however expect us to revert back to 4-4-2 in the next few games.

Really though FB should have been trying this formation in training since he arrived, along with other systems.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Really though FB should have been trying this formation in training since he arrived, along with other systems.

I have no problem trying this formation IF you have the players to do it. From the kick off on Saturday Graham was like a rabbit in the headlights. I have seldom seen a stronger case for changing a player after 10 mins playing. OK maybe The Filth on the Sat evening game but Mourinho did change it and they got a result.

In theory we should have 2 of the defensive players to do it-Edmundson is naturally left sided,  Clarke can read the game as well as anybody in the middle but who can play right sided?

Missolou is sooo much better than Fane and I thought he was unlucky to be subbed on Sat, to say he hardly touched the ball is rubbish.

As for Miller-will we see him again for a month or so after tweaking his hamstring? The man is as fragile as a butterfly wing. 

The thing I'm struggling most with regarding the future with Bunn is ,

Going 352 I can just about accept even knowing it will never work,

Mistake yes but watching it for 45 min then sending out the same 11 to play the same system is bordering on insanity!!!!

55 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I have no problem trying this formation IF you have the players to do it. From the kick off on Saturday Graham was like a rabbit in the headlights. I have seldom seen a stronger case for changing a player after 10 mins playing. OK maybe The Filth on the Sat evening game but Mourinho did change it and they got a result.

In theory we should have 2 of the defensive players to do it-Edmundson is naturally left sided,  Clarke can read the game as well as anybody in the middle but who can play right sided?

Missolou is sooo much better than Fane and I thought he was unlucky to be subbed on Sat, to say he hardly touched the ball is rubbish.

As for Miller-will we see him again for a month or so after tweaking his hamstring? The man is as fragile as a butterfly wing. 

Totally agree I said as much, he was already flapping. With the yellow card so early he should have been off.

Still don't get the Missilou  being so much better than fane argument. They are both defensive midfielders..with little ability going forward. Missilou is better on the ball a better technical player with the ball at his feet. Fane can look really awkward. But fanes recovery speed is better, when needed, his positional play improved last season,he's more physical and is much more destructive to he oppositions midfield. Missilou gave up tracking back at one point in the first half on Saturday . I haven't seen Fane do that to often. Missolou was one of the better players Saturday but The fane of last January would get in this side at the mo. 

Edited by bluehobbit
Spelling

6 hours ago, bluehobbit said:

Still don't get the Missilou  being so much better than fane argument. They are both defensive midfielders..with little ability going forward. Missilou is better on the ball a better technical player with the ball at his feet. Fane can look really awkward. But fanes recovery speed is better, when needed, his positional play improved last season,he's more physical and is much more destructive to he oppositions midfield. Missilou gave up tracking back at one point in the first half on Saturday . I haven't seen Fane do that to often. Missolou was one of the better players Saturday but The fane of last January would get in this side at the mo. 

Fane just tracks the player back then hacks them down and gets booked/sent off/in need to be subbed off.

I agree though, Missilou wasn't great on Saturday. I've felt he's been decent in other games I've seen him in but was off the boil against Carlisle.

44 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Fane just tracks the player back then hacks them down and gets booked/sent off/in need to be subbed off.

I agree though, Missilou wasn't great on Saturday. I've felt he's been decent in other games I've seen him in but was off the boil against Carlisle.

Agree and you also have to consider he's only played about ten games at this level, he was out grafted and showed a bit of naivety on Saturday but he's shown plenty in other games I've seen him in, one things for sure if Fane had a couple of clubs prepared to pay money for him this lad will definitely have his suitors and  probably make the club some money.

24 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Lyden plays this position. Lets see how he does tonight, if it goes well he will probably play 45/60mins. against Vale. I would go for the 4--3-3 mentioned earlier with perhaps Lyden for Gardner.

I'd be wary of chucking him straight in after his injury problems. Bench for me, he can come on for Gardner on 60 when he starts hiding.

3 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

I'd be wary of chucking him straight in after his injury problems. Bench for me, he can come on for Gardner on 60 when he starts hiding.

I've seen Gardner accused of a lot of things, but I don't think hiding has been mentioned before, seems a bit harsh to me that one. 

3 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I've seen Gardner accused of a lot of things, but I don't think hiding has been mentioned before, seems a bit harsh to me that one. 

He was doing it at Mansfield after about half an hour. Look out for it next game.