Carlisle United (H)

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

It might come as a surprise to some, but occasionally the manager knows better than the fans. There's clearly a fitness issue with Jose, rather than Bunn just "not fancying him". Think the 3-5-2 formation might have been used to compliment Baxter and, yes, it failed.

One positive from yesterday could be that we can put to bed the "Why isn't Jose starting?" saga. For whatever reason, he's not ready to start. 

What a player to have come off the bench to make things happen in close games for the last twenty odd minutes..

Well not all fans I said as much in the build up to the game that his fitness is not yet upto scratch. It gives me no pleasure in being proved correct as much stick as Gardner is getting Baxter was far worse he really offered nothing.

He's one of my favourite players of the last 10 years but we need more out of him if hes going to be anything other than an impact player from the bench.

2 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

Doesn't mattter what age he is, but for whatever reason he is struggling to achieve the fitness to perform at an acceptable level for 90 minutes in League 2 

I’d play him more advanced rather than CM.  Doesn’t have to cover miles but link up play, 1-2s and a quick feed onto Surridge, Lang or wide-men to cross back in.  

Like Sheridan when his knees meant he was stationary and he just got the ball and played blinding passes to other players.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:24 AM, TheBigDog said:

The kids match at half time was great to watch. The team wearing the light blue stripes had the best player on the pitch in their number 7 - she scored 4 and looked a top player. ?

As for the game itself... as many have already posted on here, 3-5-2 simply did not work. Graham looked poor, Edmundson had his worst game of the season.

Baxter just doesn’t look like the player he was during his first spell at the club. 

From my perspective, three emerged with any credit from yesterday:

Miller first half out wide was a real handful and showed some real pace...

Gardner worked hard and was my MotM 

Lang made the goal and should have scored with the header late on

Apart from that, it was a failed plan B. Whether the wages fiasco affected the performance I don’t know - but it cannot have helped. Once again the opposition players were quicker to the ball and more skillled when in possession.

Wow ? we are bad to watch this season ?

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Not having it. It was a 352 and nobody was out of position, we were just shit. Possibly not helped by the wages situation.

Bloody 'ell ... Me 'n Mr Burns on the same page ?

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Quite simply John Sheridan, Tommy Wright, Auntie G and Mike Jones all chipped in their knowledge and they did a number on us. Not sure why we were all so surprised about it.

absolutely this,  complimented by Frankie trying too hard to outwit Sheridan by playing 3-5-2  

On 10/7/2018 at 8:52 AM, Monty Burns said:

Who was out of position?

Hunt and Taylor for a start. Full backs, not wingbacks. Led to Miller having to come out wide all the time until we were 3-0 down and Bunn changed it.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:52 AM, Monty Burns said:

I bought a peppered steak pie and was surprised to find out it was nice.

I bought one and thought it was shit. Not as shit as the Chicken Balti I had the previous game that's never seen a chicken.

29 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If Saturday has taught us anything it is that playing 3 centre backs should never be attempted again and we should try to forget it ever happened.

Couldn’t agree more. Sheridan tried it a few times last season as well, including the debacle at Rotherham. Stick to 4-4-2. Or possibly 4-3-1-2 if it’s to play José just behind the front two.

Edited by Gary1906

46 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

One of the most disappointing things about Saturday is if we'd won, Sheridan would have probably been sacked by Carlisle and we could have reappointed him ....

That won’t happen until we are in the bottom two, then he can do his shezurection mark three. Incidentally did you get a photo with your hero on sat?

21 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Couldn’t agree more. Sheridan tried it a few times last season as well, including the debacle at Rotherham. Stick to 4-4-2. Or possibly 4-3-1-2 if it’s to play José just behind the front two.

What gets me is that when Bunn arrived it was all the "ohh, I know the club" etc. Well know that we'd mostly prefer to see us play a 4-4-2, especially when we've got players more likely to do better in it. Couple that with the fact he played in a 4-4-2 most of his career and you'd think he'd want to try and get us playing with wingers with FB's interlinking.

He's gone from playing 3 upfront at home which doesn't work (had to change it in the 3-3 draw) to 3 at the back. The 3 upfront previously was seeing strikers playing LF/RF and pushed out wide miles away from O Grady in the middle and asking them to cross the ball in. On Saturday, the 2 upfront were buggered coz we were asking full backs to play as wing backs which led to us having no width at all. And led to Miller having to go out wide and try and make magic happen and little else in the middle.

I know he probably thinks this is modern day styled football but I'd rather he tried a proper 4-4-2 and keep Surridge as close to OG/Miller (whichever plays) as possible. Engone and Nepu have shown they can run the wings and with some support from the FB's the system has more chance of working than any 3 at the back or up top.

Edited by boundaryblue80