Carlisle United (H)

16 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I've been away, can't be bothered reading 16 pages. Did we win? 

No.

Summary:

Bunn - shit

Gardner - shit

Graham - shit

Gerrard - Now all round bloody good bloke because he clapped the fans..

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Wow you really think his pass completion rate is high? He's played the opposition forwards in more time with his passing this season than their own midfielders and the only passes he does complete are generally the tippy tappy variety which average about two yards, anything of and distance usually goes astray, he's industrious and actually improves with better players around him but never in a million years should the majority of our play go through him and his set plays are also generally piss poor. 

I do agree about players needing to show off the ball more as we are caught in possession all too often because players stop working and trying to find space for each other there is also a real reluctance in our midfield to talk but that could be a language thing, Gardner is an OK player for us but generally does his best work chasing after his own stray passes.

I'd point out tippy tappy passes finding a team mate count as pass completion.

You will find if you add them into the equation its quite high.

42 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I'd point out tippy tappy passes finding a team mate count as pass completion.

You will find if you add them into the equation its quite high.

Which is why those statistics are meaningless.

51 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Saturated with stats nowadays I'll agree with that.

Info graphics. Useless information for wandering minds that cannot focus on long-term subjects. On the other hand, information is knowledge, is power and allows predictions of outcomes...apparently. The only football statistic I am interested in is the final score and who scored the goals.

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Saturated with stats nowadays I'll agree with that.

11 hours ago, Wardie said:

Info graphics. Useless information for wandering minds that cannot focus on long-term subjects. On the other hand, information is knowledge, is power and allows predictions of outcomes...apparently. The only football statistic I am interested in is the final score and who scored the goals.

Brentford are owned by Matthew Benham who runs the company Smart Odds  which provides statistics to betting companys and sport clubs. The club itself uses the statistical information to help with player recruitment. They have done reasonably well I think ? 

However... they have also benefited from his £100m investment over the past five years too...?

38 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Brentford are owned by Matthew Benham who runs the company Smart Odds  which provides statistics to betting companys and sport clubs. The club itself uses the statistical information to help with player recruitment. They have done reasonably well I think ? 

However... they have also benefited from his £100m investment over the past five years too...?

£100m or not..... have a look at the Profit on his "Stats" work..... it's a superb example of how to have a "Plan" and run a Ltd company - on a modest supporter base in the shadow of intergalactic behemoths - operating in Sport. This is what an owner of Oldham Athletic could be aiming for.

Edited by lookersstandandy

16 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

£100m or not..... have a look at the Profit on his "Stats" work..... it's a superb example of how to have a "Plan" and run a Ltd company - on a modest supporter base in the shadow of intergalactic behemoths - operating in Sport. This is what an owner of Oldham Athletic could be aiming for.

It does though give the lie to the accepted wisdom that we, almost uniquely, sell our assets on the cheap. 

Two of those, Harlee Dean and Moses Adubajo, had spells at my local non-leaguers. 

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It does though give the lie to the accepted wisdom that we, almost uniquely, sell our assets on the cheap. 

Two of those, Harlee Dean and Moses Adubajo, had spells at my local non-leaguers. 

I bet your local non-leaguers wouldn't have sold the sell on fee they might've had, a matter of weeks before the player was sold for £m's though..... uniquely or not, under Corney's stewardship we were a soft touch with the sale of assets, because the buying piranha's always knew we were in a financial mess and could take advantage. A stable owner - with a Plan - could ensure that we maximised the value of assets - like Mr. Benham does for Brentford - instead of being bent over backwards every time.

6 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I bet your local non-leaguers wouldn't have sold the sell on fee they might've had, a matter of weeks before the player was sold for £m's though..... uniquely or not, under Corney's stewardship we were a soft touch with the sale of assets, because the buying piranha's always knew we were in a financial mess and could take advantage. A stable owner - with a Plan - could ensure that we maximised the value of assets - like Mr. Benham does for Brentford - instead of being bent over backwards every time.

Sadly they were only loan spells, Dean more than once from Dagenham and Odubajo from Orient. Have to assume the Tarky clause was sold in desperation but I really don't think we were done over too many times apart from his initial sale. It's not so much the plan that an owner needs as the wherewithal to see it through. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Sadly they were only loan spells, Dean more than once from Dagenham and Odubajo from Orient. Have to assume the Tarky clause was sold in desperation but I really don't think we were done over too many times apart from his initial sale. It's not so much the plan that an owner needs as the wherewithal to see it through. 

Corney's asset realisation performance, I'd say was substandard;

- Dale Stephens, sent to Southampton for a loan fee, then sold to Charlton for £350k.

- Dean Furman, sent to Doncaster for a loan fee, then left on a Free to Doncaster.

- Tom Eaves, sold to Bolton for £300k.

- Matt Smith, left on a Free to Leeds.

- Kieran Lee, left on a Free to Sheff Weds.

- Jonathan Grounds, left on a Free to Birmingham.

- Chris Taylor, left on a Free to Millwall

- Korey Smith sold to Bristol City for £350k.

- Liam Kelly, left on a Free to Leyton Orient.

- Tarky sold to Brentford for c£500k [although it reported as c£350k at the time] with loan back built in [which never materialised]. Sold sell on Fee for c£150k.

- JCH sold to Rotherham  for £350k.

- Tim Dieng, left on a Free to Bradford

- Joel Coleman sold to Huddersfield for £150k.

- Chris Renshaw sold to Everton for ???

10 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Corney's asset realisation performance, I'd say was substandard;

- Dale Stephens, sent to Southampton for a loan fee, then sold to Charlton for £350k.

- Dean Furman, sent to Doncaster for a loan fee, then left on a Free to Doncaster.

- Tom Eaves, sold to Bolton for £300k.

- Matt Smith, left on a Free to Leeds.

- Kieran Lee, left on a Free to Sheff Weds.

- Jonathan Grounds, left on a Free to Birmingham.

- Chris Taylor, left on a Free to Millwall

- Korey Smith sold to Bristol City for £350k.

- Liam Kelly, left on a Free to Leyton Orient.

- Tarky sold to Brentford for c£500k [although it reported as c£350k at the time] with loan back built in [which never materialised]. Sold sell on Fee for c£150k.

- JCH sold to Rotherham  for £350k.

- Joel Coleman sold to Huddersfield for £150k.

- Chris Renshaw sold to Everton for ???

A few plusses and minuses and I guess losing the odd good one on a free is just part of the modern game. 

This doesn't take into account players leaving  when out of contract-something Latics have no control over, do you seriously think we were ever going to hang on to Matt Smith? Usually if they were under contract we got a fee(JCH)-many fans were happy to see him go.

With the past financial details of the club having come to light over the past few months can you still not see that if you are skint you get money from where ever you can, folks still banging on about cashing in the sell on clause when we were skint.

36 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

This doesn't take into account players leaving  when out of contract-something Latics have no control over, do you seriously think we were ever going to hang on to Matt Smith? Usually if they were under contract we got a fee(JCH)-many fans were happy to see him go.

With the past financial details of the club having come to light over the past few months can you still not see that if you are skint you get money from where ever you can, folks still banging on about cashing in the sell on clause when we were skint.

....go back to Denham's performance at Brentford. If he thinks a player will leave on a Free, he either offers a new extended contract or sells them before they do..... he's a got a Plan..... Corney didn't have one. Plus, it's his fault we were skint, so he can't use his ineptitude as an excuse.

The fella we've got now appears to have had 1 plan which is to raid the lower leagues of France.... which to date, hasn't worked.....

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

....go back to Denham's performance at Brentford. If he thinks a player will leave on a Free, he either offers a new extended contract or sells them before they do..... he's a got a Plan..... Corney didn't have one. Plus, it's his fault we were skint, so he can't use his ineptitude as an excuse.

The fella we've got now appears to have had 1 plan which is to raid the lower leagues of France.... which to date, hasn't worked.....

I don't think offering a new contract or selling a player who's contract is about to expire is something that is particularly unique to Brentford its fairly standard practice.

However I'm agreeing with you I'd like to see us have a moneyball policy of signing players and getting value for money in the transfer market aslong as they are funding losses in the short term so when we do sell players, (and in reality that's always going to happen at our club) we do so because its the right offer and not out of sheer desperation.

Edited by GlossopLatic

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I don't think offering a new contract or selling a player who's contract is about to expire is something that is particularly unique to Brentford its fairly standard practice.....

...yes, but the timing of new contract offer is probably key. I'm guessing, but I bet I'm not wrong - considering the shambolic way the club was run under Corney - that our timing of said events was poor, all things considered.....