Carlisle United (H)

On 10/9/2018 at 4:10 PM, oafcmetty said:

I'd be wary of chucking him straight in after his injury problems. Bench for me, he can come on for Gardner on 60 when he starts hiding.

22 hours ago, disjointed said:

I've seen Gardner accused of a lot of things, but I don't think hiding has been mentioned before, seems a bit harsh to me that one. 

Nah..not having that about Gardner hiding. He never stops and it is an extremely harsh comment ?

On 10/9/2018 at 3:45 PM, al_bro said:

Lyden plays this position. Lets see how he does tonight, if it goes well he will probably play 45/60mins. against Vale. I would go for the 4--3-3 mentioned earlier with perhaps Lyden for Gardner.

Lyden and Missile in the middle with 2 wingers?

11 hours ago, Omar Don't Scare said:

Massively overrated for me. Simply because he runs around a lot doesn't make him any good, see Ousmane Fane. 

At Swindon, Gardner pulled a ridiculous trick out near the away fans, then failed to pass it 5-10 yards. 

Squad player yes, worth the praise he gets, absolutely not. 

Comparison with Fane is a bit unfair - Gardner is comfortable on the ball, can (actually) pick a pass, will drive forward with the ball and get us the odd goal.

Best in the league (according to Shez), yet I'm not sure Fane would add much to my Friday night 6-aside team.

Gardner fast becoming the new Eardley - getting involved and drawing attention to yourself just seems to leave you open to criticism.  Would we prefer a team of shirkers?

53 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Comparison with Fane is a bit unfair - Gardner is comfortable on the ball, can (actually) pick a pass, will drive forward with the ball and get us the odd goal.

Best in the league (according to Shez), yet I'm not sure Fane would add much to my Friday night 6-aside team.

Gardner fast becoming the new Eardley - getting involved and drawing attention to yourself just seems to leave you open to criticism.  Would we prefer a team of shirkers?

Totally agree! I’m not praising him just for having a go. I’m praising him  trying to have a impact on the game instead of hiding. It’s a lot easier to float into the back ground than it is to do what he does.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

The odd goal? How many has he scored for us?  

Once again... he runs around and offers very little... for a box to box midfielder he’s very weak in the tackle, the little turn he does is predictable, he literally can’t pass a ball, doesn’t score enough. But yes, he shows for the ball, runs around looking busy... so we have to praise him. 

37 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

Once again... he runs around and offers very little... for a box to box midfielder he’s very weak in the tackle, the little turn he does is predictable, he literally can’t pass a ball, doesn’t score enough. But yes, he shows for the ball, runs around looking busy... so we have to praise him. 

Compared to Fane he's a lethal goal threat!

Last season, I thought like you - I think he was over shadowed by Byrne. Think he's done better with a bit more freedom this season. Missilou seems to have taken on the role of anonymous midfielder this year, but I haven't seen much debate about him.

Is the key to getting praise on here to just not do anything, then you can't be criticised for making a mistake?

53 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

Be interesting to a see his pass completion rate, I think it would be be quite high.

Comparable with Baxter I'd have thought.

Gardner's main fault is being caught in possession trying to be too clever. However, if team mates showed  off the ball better this could be avoided.

Edited by BP1960

A complete marmite player. One minute he can do something good, the next minute he can be awful. Sadly, he does more poor things than good things. On Saturday, I thought it was his most anonymous game in a long time. At least in other games, he gets noticed for the good/bad things he does but against Carlisle I could count on my hand the number of times he was involved. As for Shez, as much as I like the guy I think he's way off the mark on this one. If Gardner could produce the sort of form he did this time last season (5 really solid games back to back) then he would rightly get the plaudits. Sadly, he's shown he can't do this.

47 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

As for Shez, as much as I like the guy I think he's way off the mark on this one. 

It's akin to when he claimed Jack Ruddy did nothing wrong at Rotherham.... 

Although I can't argue with much of the criticism levelled at him, I like Gardner and I reckon he could be very good if used further forward or right midfield. 

He seems to give a shit too for what that's worth. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Be interesting to a see his pass completion rate, I think it would be be quite high.

Comparable with Baxter I'd have thought.

Gardner's main fault is being caught in possession trying to be too clever. However, if team mates showed  off the ball better this could be avoided.

Wow you really think his pass completion rate is high? He's played the opposition forwards in more time with his passing this season than their own midfielders and the only passes he does complete are generally the tippy tappy variety which average about two yards, anything of and distance usually goes astray, he's industrious and actually improves with better players around him but never in a million years should the majority of our play go through him and his set plays are also generally piss poor. 

I do agree about players needing to show off the ball more as we are caught in possession all too often because players stop working and trying to find space for each other there is also a real reluctance in our midfield to talk but that could be a language thing, Gardner is an OK player for us but generally does his best work chasing after his own stray passes.