Hampton: Hampton & Richmond Borough FC - Directions, Beer & Food

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Is anyone entitled to a poor run of form anymore without becoming the devil incarnate? 

Fair comment, I just think we are carrying him at the minute, I hope as much as anyone that he can turn it around and cut out the stupid cross field balls he currently  seems incapable of making. 

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Fair comment, I just think we are carrying him at the minute, I hope as much as anyone that he can turn it around and cut out the stupid cross field balls he currently  seems incapable of making. 

I'm not one to call one of our players, and some people do seem to pick up on Gardner's every perceived mistake, but the cross-field pass in the first half on Monday was schoolboy-ish. As has been said previously he wants too many touches before picking a pass and like a lot of our players doesn't look forward to release the ball early.

When he does and drives forward apropos our first goal he looks a much better player. He's probably one of the first names on the team-sheet because of the lack of talent in our midfield. 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

It is allowed to have favourites and a ‘boo boy’.  If you don’t agree that doesn’t make you right or superior.  

Opinions. Forum. 

My view of Gardner isn’t so much that he is any worse than most of our squad, he clearly isn’t. I just think he is nowhere near as good as some here seem to think.  He loses the ball in dangerous positions all to often and never puts a foot in. That’s a couple of very bad attributes for his current position.   That’s not a dig at people who think the opposite, it’s just an opinion. 

Yes theres always a boo boy (usually a few actually) and yes there’s always a player inexplicably lauded. 

Opinions. Forum. 

I agree he's being caught in possession  and making some poor distribution options, but I feel he needs to be in the advanced attacking role which saw him notch plenty of goals in his early career. Leave the holding role to the likes of Missilou, Fane (when fit) or Lyden.

FB obviously doesn't see it that  way, and if he's satisfied that's where we are.

30 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I agree he's being caught in possession  and making some poor distribution options, but I feel he needs to be back in non league which saw him notch plenty of goals in his early career. Leave the holding role to the likes of Missilou, Fane (when fit) or Lyden.

FB obviously doesn't see it that  way, and if he's satisfied that's where we are.

FTFY.

53 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I agree he's being caught in possession  and making some poor distribution options, but I feel he needs to be in the advanced attacking role which saw him notch plenty of goals in his early career. Leave the holding role to the likes of Missilou, Fane (when fit) or Lyden.

His best goal scoring years were all at non league level BP. 19 over two seasons for Droylsden and 17 over 2 seasons for Halifax. In the 3 seasons (?) at Chesterfield he only managed 8 goals at football league level. Now I’m pretty sure but not certain that he played more advanced for them ? He’s probably not as bad as I make out but he’s certainly not as good as you make out either. Time to stop blowing smoke up his arse. 

*the above is said with respect to you BP so please don’t take personal 👍

find us another Surridge not an average Dan please 😁

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I'm not one to call one of our players, and some people do seem to pick up on Gardner's every perceived mistake, but the cross-field pass in the first half on Monday was schoolboy-ish. As has been said previously he wants too many touches before picking a pass and like a lot of our players doesn't look forward to release the ball early.

When he does and drives forward apropos our first goal he looks a much better player. He's probably one of the first names on the team-sheet because of the lack of talent in our midfield. 

His best couple of bits of play for me this season have come from driving down either flank, away at Grimsby for the Baxter goal and again on Monday down the left, he carries the ball really well and does to his credit track back I just don't like him in that deep centre mid role because the game passes him by at times and if he's not on it the team ain't, I understand those who rate him because he doesn't hide like Lyden does but it doesn't mean he should be immune from criticism just because he keeps showing for the ball. He played his best football in a central three for us with Byrne and Fane with the nice tight interplay, now he's been given more responsibility I personally don't think it suits him but to be fair the squad is down to the bare bones and he is being asked to play a position which is arguably not his best.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Perhaps. I’d certainly prefer to see him tried further forward and now Baxter is injured maybe we will, but I’m not convinced.  Also... don’t let him take free kicks please. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

His best goal scoring years were all at non league level BP. 19 over two seasons for Droylsden and 17 over 2 seasons for Halifax. In the 3 seasons (?) at Chesterfield he only managed 8 goals at football league level. Now I’m pretty sure but not certain that he played more advanced for them ? He’s probably not as bad as I make out but he’s certainly not as good as you make out either. Time to stop blowing smoke up his arse. 

He played wide or central at Chesterfield, not the advanced attacking  role I watched him operate in non league. I still wonder why all his  managers rate him and think he should be playing at a higher level yet some fans don't?

Edited by BP1960

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

His best couple of bits of play for me this season have come from driving down either flank, away at Grimsby for the Baxter goal and again on Monday down the left, he carries the ball really well and does to his credit track back I just don't like him in that deep centre mid role because the game passes him by at times and if he's not on it the team ain't, I understand those who rate him because he doesn't hide like Lyden does but it doesn't mean he should be immune from criticism just because he keeps showing for the ball. He played his best football in a central three for us with Byrne and Fane with the nice tight interplay, now he's been given more responsibility I personally don't think it suits him but to be fair the squad is down to the bare bones and he is being asked to play a position which is arguably not his best.

You hit the nail on the head with Fane and Byrne he had players close showing for the ball, he doesn't in this set up.

Where were Lyden and Dummighan helping him out?...nowhere to be seen.

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He played wide or central at Chesterfield, not the advanced attacking  role I watched him operate in non league. I still wonder why all his  managers rate him and think he should be playing at a higher level yet some fans don't?

Fair enough. I still wonder why the managers actually at that higher level have not swooped him away then ? We are not exactly renound for playing hardball. Maybe the managers that have expressed that are just trying to gee him up in the hope he stops handing possession back to the opposition! 😂😃😬

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

7 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I love your respect for bp, u destroy everyone else 😂

I actually see why managers and players rate him. He has actually got all the tools his passing is very inconsistant as is his shooting which is very frustrating. He always puts in a good shift. I don't agree with people who say he shits out of tackles. Thats the type of cliched rubbish people come out with all the time, infact people who have said that about Gardner probably arent even watching the game he regularly presses and wins the ball back. They are the same people whi say XYZ goalkeeper never comes of his line.

One manager said he is the best player in the division that was John Sheridan. He isn't right now, but playing under Sheridan is what would get the best out of Gardner. I think he would thrive under someone like that.

Our midfield will look alot worse if he leaves in January and maouche is his replacement.

Edited by GlossopLatic

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I actually see why managers and players rate he has actually got all the tools his passing is very inconsistant as is his shooting which is very frustrating. He always puts in a good shift. I don't agree with people who say he shuts out of tackles. Thats the type of cliched rubbish people come out with all the time, infact people who have said that about Gardner probably arent even watching the game he regularly presses and wins the ball back.

One manager said he is the best player in the division that waa John Sheridan. He isn't right now, but playing under Sheridan is what would get the best out of Gardner. I think he would thrive under someone like that.

Our midfield will look alot worse if he leaves in January and maouche is his replacement.

If John sheridan one of the best midfielders to grace league 1 never mind league 2, says he a good player. Let’s except and move on !

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

I love your respect for bp, u destroy everyone else 😂

I always respect BP even tho I know I wind him up a bit regards his boy DG. This place wouldn’t be the same without our resident dinosaur 😂😂.  Four four effing two with wingers !!! (See I even try to not swear sometimes ) 

10 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I always respect BP even tho I know I wind him up a bit regards his boy DG. This place wouldn’t be the same without our resident dinosaur 😂😂.  Four four effing two with wingers !!! (See I even try to not swear sometimes ) 

Don't mind the wind ups, post things as I see them..even with my fading eyesight

PS. Another like Surridge was recommended by myself last July, doubt if we get the Danish lad now after 16 goals for his under 23 team.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Don't mind the wind ups, post things as I see them..even with my fading eyesight

PS. Another like Surridge was recommended by myself last July, doubt if we get the Danish lad now after 16 goals for his under 23 team.

You think he’d be league one or even championship bound then ? Was you aware Surridge seems to be somewhat injury prone ? Hope he comes back firing as we look a totally different beast with him in the side. 

17 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

You think he’d be league one or even championship bound then ? Was you aware Surridge seems to be somewhat injury prone ? Hope he comes back firing as we look a totally different beast with him in the side. 

You can never tell in football, the Danish lad hasn't been out on loan to any EFL club yet. 

I don't think too many, including myself, saw Dale Stephens as a Premiership player while here.

I doubt Surridge is injury prone, rather he has been carrying an injury which eventually needed long term rest and treatment.

Edited by BP1960

4 hours ago, U.S. Blues said:

He is somewhere between our most talented player and the worst player to ever grace a pitch. Got it.

I think the problem is that he is both of these virtually every match. I can't honestly remember such a Jekyll and Hyde  player at the club. In any 5 minutes of a match he can tear the opposition apart or equally his own team. One thing for sure is he cannot be trusted  in a any kind of defensive role but has moments of sheer brilliance  going forward with the ball.

8 hours ago, athleticus said:

I think the problem is that he is both of these virtually every match. I can't honestly remember such a Jekyll and Hyde  player at the club. In any 5 minutes of a match he can tear the opposition apart or equally his own team. One thing for sure is he cannot be trusted  in a any kind of defensive role but has moments of sheer brilliance  going forward with the ball.

Sums him up perfectly. It’s up to Bunn (and Gardner himself) to work out the best role for our mercurial midfielder. Maximise the good stuff and minimise the errors. Simple really. 😉

8 hours ago, athleticus said:

We looked a lot more secure defensively with him holding as opposed to Fane when Fane was suspended at the end of last season. 

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You can never tell in football, the Danish lad hasn't been out on loan to any EFL club yet. 

I don't think too many, including myself, saw Dale Stephens as a Premiership player while here.

I doubt Surridge is injury prone, rather he has been carrying an injury which eventually needed long term rest and treatment.

You could see a mile off that Stephens was a class above most players at League One level.  I had no doubt he would play higher up - but perhaps not Premier League.