Hampton: Hampton & Richmond Borough FC - Directions, Beer & Food

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Not sure how we’ve not scored. We are not going to are we ? That’s how it feels. Gardner a joke. Hunt - garbage. First time I’ve seen Lydon- that was about 40 mins in btw !!  These lot are no good and we should batter them second half. No unlucky stories if we don’t FB MUST go as his unluckiness (?) will be the death of us. Cmon Oldham FFS. 

Having watched tonight, I struggle to see how you can be so defeatist....explain to me the difference Frankie could have made.....:.and if you really believe he’ll get sacked and Bowyer is ready to jump in.....you’re as deluded as today’s referee....

That was odd viewing.  Incredibly frustrating for the most part but no doubt that we deserved to win after a luckless first half.  Relieved to get through and maybe a decent shot at the 3rd round.

Iverson - not a lot to do but one decent save in the first half.

Hunt - not great but fair play to him for breaking forward like he did for the first goal so late in the game.  Nice finish too.

Clarke - solid enough.  Missed a sitter in the first half.

Edmundson - ditto above and like that he's bringing the ball forward from deep (even if it doesn't always work).

Taylor - poor going forward and probably should've helped Lang more for the penalty.

Dummigan - clearly a talented enough player but not really a right winger which is frustrating.  Might be worth shoehorning in so that Lang can play down the middle.

Lyden - looks OK but went missing for too long in the middle of the pitch.

Gardner - some atrocious passing that on another day would've cost us a goal or two, but there aren't many players at our level who could've done that run and cross for the first goal.  We might be poor with him but we're worse without him.

Lang - idiot for the penalty but made up for it with the finish for the goal.  I understand why we use him out wide but he is wasted out there (and sometimes a liability).  He's a good alternative for Surridge as a central striker.

Baxter - the talent is still there but there's something not quite right with him (before the injury of course).  Really hope the injury isn't too serious.

Miller - he's getting better isn't he?  His brute force will always give defences problems but his stamina and confidence on the ball are getting better too.  Definitely a starter for now.

Subs:

Branger-Engone - the only positive with him replacing Baxter was that Lang went central.  He did OK though and was unlucky not to score.  Way better on the left than right.

O'Grady - was dismayed when he replaced Miller and he did very little, but fair play to him that flick on allowed Lang to get away and score.

Maouche - looks alright on the ball and unlucky not to score, looks lightweight for a centre midfielder.

I thought they looked OK going forward for a team at their level, Dickson was a handful and their number 7 a threat.  But they looked ropey at the back (saved by an inspired/lucky keeper) and they did look to use the dark arts as much as possible with the diving, time wasting and poor tackles.

Bunn - probably did as much as he could've done.  It's not that we aren't creating chances we're just struggling to finish them.  He doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence but nor is he the devil incarnate.  I don't think we'll get significantly better in the near future by sacking him so I'm happy enough to stick with him for the time being.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

8 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

No Nepocumeno tonight. Has joined up with his national team....

7 hours ago, robboman said:

Their game inst until 20th November. Surely he could've played a part tonight 

According to FB's post-match interview Nepo doesn't fly out until Tuesday afternoon but Curaçao wouldn't allow him to play in the cup match!

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You'd prefer players like Lyden , who would have taken us to certain defeat with his hidden contribution?

No. That doesn’t excuse Gardner’s performance BP. I’d prefer this rush of championship clubs to put in some firm 6 figure bids in January and get a better replacement. 

42 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

No. That doesn’t excuse Gardner’s performance BP. I’d prefer this rush of championship clubs to put in some firm 6 figure bids in January and get a better replacement. 

Reality check. We are a league 2 club with no money and this is the general standard of player at this level.   The best we can hope is to have an honest group of players who give all for 90 minutes each week. In my opinion Gardner does that and yes he does make mistakes but so do most others in the team;  he just seems to get most of the criticism.  However, he does not give up and no one can deny that he turned the game yesterday.   He ain't perfect, the team ain't perfect and the club is far from perfect but we are where we are.  We are 100k better off after the win and if we can get through the next round we may get another decent pay day.  Progress may be slow but the momentum is forward.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

:petesake: so a player who was dreadful for 99% of the game and another whose been gash for 99% of the season deserve credit - you make me piss. 

If I recall correctly you were very vocal in, rightly, slaughtering Kusunga_Is_God for his relentless negativity earlier in the season. You now appear to have taken over the role of being his rightful heir. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If I recall correctly you were very vocal in, rightly, slaughtering Kusunga_Is_God for his relentless negativity earlier in the season. You now appear to have taken over the role of being his rightful heir. 

Happy for you to reel the positives off at the moment, I was happy to give everyone a chance early season but it's clear we have a Chairman a manager and half a squad all out of their depth at our football club, I'm happy for them to turn it round as I want success but unfortunately I reckon it's gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Happy for you to reel the positives off at the moment, I was happy to give everyone a chance early season but it's clear we have a Chairman a manager and half a squad all out of their depth at our football club, I'm happy for them to turn it round as I want success but unfortunately I reckon it's gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

You may well be right but sounding off about it every 30 seconds isn't going to solve it and it clearly isn't making you feel any better. 

From what I have seen this season, the plan is to use the two talented* midfielders to play through to a front two. This is failing as the man to pass to (miller) is not on the shoulder of the last defender, he is out wide as we have no proper width. Other than that we are ….. a bit shit … but I still cheer you on regardless.   

One thing I wish we'd stop doing are short corners/free kicks nonsense. At this level surely opportunities to get it into the box need to be taken? We seem to be happy to use lump it to Miller/O'Grady as a plan A early in games so why the reluctance to get good delivery into the box? When we did that last night we created problems for them

Proof again last night again that Langs best position is part of a front two, he can't defend for toffee and looks like the only fit player in the squad who could score goal regularly,when played more centrally he rolled his man with ease and took his finish extremely well under pressure, credit where it's due to O'Grady with the flick on as well.

I know we are short of options out wide but we shouldn't be sacrificing a source of goals to try and solve this problem. Branger back in on the left on Saturday with Lang pushed up top has to be the way forward particularly if we are not likely to see Surridge again any time soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Proof again last night again that Langs best position is part of a front two, he can't defend for toffee and looks like the only fit player in the squad who could score goal regularly,when played more centrally he rolled his man with ease and took his finish extremely well under pressure, credit where it's due to O'Grady with the flick on as well.

I know we are short of options out wide but we shouldn't be sacrificing a source of goals to try and solve this problem. Branger back in on the left on Saturday with Lang pushed up top has to be the way forward particularly if we are not likely to see Surridge again any time soon.

Much better. ?

I was there last night and a couple of points...

1. AL was NOT in the away end...probably for a good reason as he would have got some shit! He was sitting in the small stand next to the away fans with his brother and a few others, and was beaming like a Cheshire cat at the end of the game. Without the late winner I doubt he would have showed his face!

2. Before his moment of brilliance for the goal, Gardner was absolutely bloody dreadful and was getting lamented by most of the fans around me. I'd play him wider or further forward as the times he gives the ball away in his own half when playing deep and causes us problems is just unacceptable.

3. Fans were brilliant again in the circumstances and kept going right to the end. Atmosphere was excellent

4. Bunns substitution of Miller left everyone I saw gobsmacked! Yes OG won the header for the winner but why would you bring off your most dangerous player when you are 1-0 down - sorry but baffling!

5. Maouche is still a fraud of a player who will not put his foot in or break sweat for the team!

4 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

2. Before his moment of brilliance for the goal, Gardner was absolutely bloody dreadful and was getting lamented by most of the fans around me. I'd play him wider or further forward as the times he gives the ball away in his own half when playing deep and causes us problems is just unacceptable.

4. Bunns substitution of Miller left everyone I saw gobsmacked! Yes OG won the header for the winner but why would you bring off your most dangerous player when you are 1-0 down - sorry but baffling!

Gardner had a terrible game apart from that great run for the goal.  I agree about putting him wide as I think he could do more damage than Dummigan.  At the moment I just don't see how he and Hunt work down the right, both were pretty awful last night.  Hamer and Gardner may be the better option.  BUT... who then plays in the middle? Lyden was quiet but think he should be decent with games, but who plays alongside him if not Gardner?

At the time I thought the same about Miller and O'Grady, and thought we should have had them both on.  But there's a difference in how they play - Miller wants the ball to then turn and run at the defence and does look more of a goal threat, but O'Grady wants to flick on and play people in.  And that's exactly what worked with Lang being able to use his pace.  So I can see some logic to the substitution. Especially as we won!

• Like 1

I would have taken a narrow win before the game, at least it gives us a shot at another non league club before a possible big money tie..

Although we created alot of chances last night and there keeper seemed possessed it was still quite alarming how many shots/chances we allowed them to have and on another day we could have found ourselves 2 down..

We currently have our weakest team in living memory being managed by a rookie and the club being owned by a lunatic who does not grasp the importance of paying anything/anyone on time and interferes with the playing side and We are currently the 15th best team in the a league which standard wise is shocking. Other than that everything is rosey KTF

13 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Arguably our two worst players tonight have saved us!

Gardner and Lang. 

I can forgive Lang considering he's not a winger in a million years. So he shouldn't be the one tracking back to defend the LB position. Maybe our manager will now stop pissing about and play him upfront in the middle where he should be. Probably not tho.