Lincoln (H)

The ref was terrible, looked like 2 handballs in the run up to their goal and was generally hoodwinked by their tactics throughout the whole game.  Speaking of their tactics, I can't believe, given the behaviour of his team mates and manager, that Akinde didn't go down when clean through and being dragged back by Edmundson.  Would have been a definite red.  With Miller, personally I think strikers should be allowed to challenge the keepers in a 50/50, but they're quick to send players off for that these days.  It's a debatable one, but we'd have no chance in an appeal.

As for the game, I thought after a ropey start where they caused us problems (especially Akinde) I was quite surprised by their tactics.  It wasn't aimless hoofing, but it was very direct.  Clear plan to load the box with crosses (must have been listening to our GK coach's interview) and bomb balls into the channels. Once we seemed ok at repelling it I thought they'd try something different, but no.  Some top notch shithousery too, reminded me of a few games against Sheffield United.  I never understand why refs fall for it either.

Great call to put Surridge on after the red card, he was a constant threat.  And I thought handled himself well as the loan striker, with Lang running off and around him.  We played to his strengths too rather than expecting him to win aerial battles.  Hopefully this outing will give Bunn the confidence to play him and Lang together on Saturday.  I don't think he needs a 'big man' along side.

Maouche was very good on the ball, as was Nepo who showed some class touches.

Lots to be pleased about, with some neat passing football on occasions and also the effort and commitment which was great, heads didn't drop after the red, they just kept pushing forward.  But despite all that and getting a point against top of the league with 10 men, it felt disappointing as we should have won it really - more chances missed.  Start converting and we should start climbing the table.

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The ref was terrible, looked like 2 handballs in the run up to their goal and was generally hoodwinked by their tactics throughout the whole game.  Speaking of their tactics, I can't believe, given the behaviour of his team mates and manager, that Akinde didn't go down when clean through and being dragged back by Edmundson.  Would have been a definite red.  With Miller, personally I think strikers should be allowed to challenge the keepers in a 50/50, but they're quick to send players off for that these days.  It's a debatable one, but we'd have no chance in an appeal.

As for the game, I thought after a ropey start where they caused us problems (especially Akinde) I was quite surprised by their tactics.  It wasn't aimless hoofing, but it was very direct.  Clear plan to load the box with crosses (must have been listening to our GK coach's interview) and bomb balls into the channels. Once we seemed ok at repelling it I thought they'd try something different, but no.  Some top notch shithousery too, reminded me of a few games against Sheffield United.  I never understand why refs fall for it either.

Great call to put Surridge on after the red card, he was a constant threat.  And I thought handled himself well as the loan striker, with Lang running off and around him.  We played to his strengths too rather than expecting him to win aerial battles.  Hopefully this outing will give Bunn the confidence to play him and Lang together on Saturday.  I don't think he needs a 'big man' along side.

Maouche was very good on the ball, as was Nepo who showed some class touches.

Lots to be pleased about, with some neat passing football on occasions and also the effort and commitment which was great, heads didn't drop after the red, they just kept pushing forward.  But despite all that and getting a point against top of the league with 10 men, it felt disappointing as we should have won it really - more chances missed.  Start converting and we should start climbing the table.

Good summary. Just need Surridge to rediscover his shooting boots...

4 hours ago, adamoafc said:

And me! His quality is there to see. Keeps things simple but his range of passing was brilliant to watch. Likes to drive with the ball and isn’t afraid to try something different. He gave us that attacking threat we’ve missed from midfield for a while definitely better when gardner went off but hope his injury isn’t a bad one. 

Second home game running where we’ve been much better after Maouche replaced Gardner. 

Its got got to be hard to play with Gardner when he’s running around everywhere trying to do everything (often badly) so you never know where he is. 

Maouche has clearly been coached to be a lot more disciplined & intelligent which helps a lot more with our shape. 

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Good summary. Just need Surridge to rediscover his shooting boots...

Yep.  Really hoping we don't have another Doyle situation on our hands!  It did look like the ball bobbled just before he hit that one right at the end but may be wrong.

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

A good reason for Lincolns decent record has to be their ability to turn defence into attack and quickly, all too often our build up play is slow and laboured compared to the opposition, at home I really wish we'd go at teams a bit more with a bit of tempo to our play.

We may do now due to Gardner's enforced absence.

Less Cryuff turns - more forward passes !

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

A good reason for Lincolns decent record has to be their ability to turn defence into attack and quickly, all too often our build up play is slow and laboured compared to the opposition, at home I really wish we'd go at teams a bit more with a bit of tempo to our play.

GERRIT FORWARDDD 🤬

45 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

GERRIT FORWARDDD 🤬

More a case of look forward instead of taking the easy option of turning back towards your own goal or having a couple of touches before making a positive pass. We have a couple of forwards with pace who need the ball playing quickly, something Gardner struggles to do consistently. 

14 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Iversen four top saves tho tbf.

Kept us well in it..thank God and much deserved man of the match.

He even gave his gloves away to a youngster in the RRE when they came around after the match. Kiddies face was priceless and a memory that will stay with him

Wonderful stuff after the sending off. Strangely enough

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I thought we matched them at times even with ten men and with a bit more composure could of nicked on the break at the end, no doubt Iversen has earned us a point but if thats a top of the table team we should be aspiring to do more than consolidate this season.

10 men usually are made tired by having to chase the ball when it's being passed around. Lincoln's tactics of hoof ball helped us. 

As for the ref he was awful, but I guess the lower in the league pyramid you go the worse they get,  just like the players. There will be the odd good one, but they will no doubt get promoted to ref games in the Championship.

7 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He did disallow a goal of theirs for absolutely nothing...

Thats not correct.

Your posts seems to be looking for negativity in everything to do with the club and team at the moment.  I know you hate AL and don’t rate Bunn but it won’t be a personal loss for you if it all works out well.  Cheer up. 

1 minute ago, rudemedic said:

Re The Ref, as he was the same ref we had about a month ago, Cheltenham (H) I had a scroll through the appropriate bit of that thread. 

How many mentions of him being woeful were there? 

Was he woeful that day?  I can’t remember. Not sure it matters. People can have off days and good days. 

56 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Thats not correct.

Your posts seems to be looking for negativity in everything to do with the club and team at the moment.  I know you hate AL and don’t rate Bunn but it won’t be a personal loss for you if it all works out well.  Cheer up. 

What are you going on about...?

23 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

What are you going on about...?

It seems pretty obvious to me.

From your posts, it looks like you want us to lose.  You clearly have a downer on the owner, manager and Trust.  

Perhaps you should try watching the games with an open mind - seeing what actually happens as opposed to what will fit your negative agenda?

There was a clear foul in the build up to Lincoln’s disallowed goal.  Lincoln didn’t batter us for long periods despite having a one man advantage for most of the game.  Bunn did get his tactics right and made effective substitutions.  We could and should have won the game with good chances at the end.

You never know, you might actually enjoy the games if you stop looking for fault and ignoring any positives.  Just my opinion.

• Like 3

It does seem to have gone down as one of the great results in our history rather than just a plucky draw in the 4th division - we've had miles better performances within the last year yet alone longer.

Hammering refs rarely has any effect so not sure what Bunn is trying to achieve by doing so.

8 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

It seems pretty obvious to me.

From your posts, it looks like you want us to lose.  You clearly have a downer on the owner, manager and Trust.  

Perhaps you should try watching the games with an open mind - seeing what actually happens as opposed to what will fit your negative agenda?

There was a clear foul in the build up to Lincoln’s disallowed goal.  Lincoln didn’t batter us for long periods despite having a one man advantage for most of the game.  Bunn did get his tactics right and made effective substitutions.  We could and should have won the game with good chances at the end.

You never know, you might actually enjoy the games if you stop looking for fault and ignoring any positives.  Just my opinion.

Why would I want us to lose? I've paid 300 quid for a Season Ticket and go to every game wanting us to win. I don't have a downer on Bunn - I actually think he's a very nice guy - but I think he's out of his depth. I use a football fans forum to express that view and do nothing but support when I'm at the games. I have said, both here and on Twitter, that it's got a lot better since Rhodes was binned off. The reality is we've won 1 in 6 games and people are getting very excited about a 1 all draw with Lincoln City, in a game where our keeper was man of the match by some distance. Unless you're Derren Brown, I'm not sure how you could possibly know that I don't watch games with an open mind and enjoy them. I use a public fans forum to express my view and do so without name calling and an aggressive tone, which is more than can be said for Kowinecki...

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

Why would I want us to lose? I've paid 300 quid for a Season Ticket and go to every game wanting us to win. I don't have a downer on Bunn - I actually think he's a very nice guy - but I think he's out of his depth. I use a football fans forum to express that view and do nothing but support when I'm at the games. I have said, both here and on Twitter, that it's got a lot better since Rhodes was binned off. The reality is we've won 1 in 6 games and people are getting very excited about a 1 all draw with Lincoln City, in a game where our keeper was man of the match by some distance. Unless you're Derren Brown, I'm not sure how you could possibly know that I don't watch games with an open mind and enjoy them. I use a public fans forum to express my view and do so without name calling and an aggressive tone, which is more than can be said for Kowinecki...

Like I said, my opinion based on what you post on here.  I don’t need to read your mind when you provide plenty of written opinion.

Totally agree that this is a place for expressing views.  It’s also a platform for others to challenge those opinions.