January Window Gossip/Rumours

28 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

The lads that come in from abroad evidently need time. Nepo only needed a couple of months to get into the swing of things, but it’s taken Maouche considerably longer. Queensy & Omrani showed flashes and Johnny appeared to be a class above before an unfortunate incident with his family happened.

We’re now only seeing Missilou getting to grips with the English game. Before he was sliding in and was always about 2 yards behind his man but he’s adapted and was arguably the best player on the pitch at Fulham until Surridge came on and demonstrated his different class.

Branger may get there, i don’t know... he has some skills but some times lacks intelligence on the ball.

These two supposed signings have played at a considerably higher level than the French 4/5th tier so maybe they will take a bit less time to bed in. 

Despite what people say about Maouche, whether that be because of his nationality or his wage, you can’t doubt his technical ability which I personally believe is that of a player that shouldn’t be playing in League Two. The majority of our squad is better than League Two if i’m being honest. 

That is why I find it so frustrating when we rocked up to games with Bunn fighting for draws at all costs and we seemed to slip back into that mindset against FGR for 45 mins. I always said that if we had someone other than Bunn we could be a lot higher. I know he was admired by a lot of the players but I don’t think he was ever good enough. 

We’re now in a position where the Play Offs aren’t totally out of reach, but it is going to be extremely tough to get there... Pray god they get a win tomorrow and finally get into gear and get some people through the door, otherwise we will finish 15th.

You definitely should do this more considered post more often.
I'd say you are pretty spot on, can't see many disagreeing much.

20 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

The majority of our squad is better than League Two if i’m being honest. 

Seen that opinion bandied around a lot and I’m not sure it’s the case. Most teams i’ve seen in this division seem to have similar quality players. The difference is often the one or two star players. If they deliver, the team prospers. 

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Seen that opinion bandied around a lot and I’m not sure it’s the case. Most teams i’ve seen in this division seem to have similar quality players. The difference is often the one or two star players. If they deliver, the team prospers. 

Rule of thumb for me is how many of ours would improve somewhere elses team.

Don't believe the current number would be very high.

22 minutes ago, archiecat said:

I am still awaiting your valuation of these foreign players Jeremy Corbyn !

can you not answer my question?

More than

<checks notes>

Adam Lockwood
Aiden O’Neill
Alex Read
Anthony Gerrard
Ben Pringle
Brendy Glackin
Brian Wilson
Chris Kettings
Chris Renshaw
Chris Taylor
Connor Brown
Conor Wilkinson
Danny Byrnes
Danny Gardner
Danny Philliskirk
Darius Osei
David Cornell
David Dunn
David Mellor
Devante Jacobs
Dominic Poleon
Jack Byrne
Jack Truelove
Jack Tuohy
Jacob Mellis
Jake Cassidy
Jake Kean
James Wilson
Jamie Reckord
Jamie Stott
Jordan Bove
Joseph Mills
Josh Law
Kallum Mantack
Kundai Benyu
Lee Croft
Mason Fawns
Michael Ngoo
Mike Jones
Ollie Banks
Paul Green
Paul Tyson
Rhys Turner
Ryan Flynn
Ryan McLaughlin
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis
Theo Vassell
Tope Obadeyi

For example.

2 minutes ago, singe said:

More than

<checks notes>

Adam Lockwood
Aiden O’Neill
Alex Read
Anthony Gerrard
Ben Pringle
Brendy Glackin
Brian Wilson
Chris Kettings
Chris Renshaw
Chris Taylor
Connor Brown
Conor Wilkinson
Danny Byrnes
Danny Gardner
Danny Philliskirk
Darius Osei
David Cornell
David Dunn
David Mellor
Devante Jacobs
Dominic Poleon
Jack Byrne
Jack Truelove
Jack Tuohy
Jacob Mellis
Jake Cassidy
Jake Kean
James Wilson
Jamie Reckord
Jamie Stott
Jordan Bove
Joseph Mills
Josh Law
Kallum Mantack
Kundai Benyu
Lee Croft
Mason Fawns
Michael Ngoo
Mike Jones
Ollie Banks
Paul Green
Paul Tyson
Rhys Turner
Ryan Flynn
Ryan McLaughlin
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis
Theo Vassell
Tope Obadeyi

For example.

Cheers :D i could make a team from that list that would beat our foreign legion without breaking a sweat.

We know there are no allegiances in football anymore,players are only interested in how much $$$$$ they can make but i still firmly believe that homegrown players offer more than the wholesale importing of foreign recruits.

Time will definately show one way or another the effect of this recruitment policy, the owner has decided this is how he wants to run the club ( his money,his choice) maybe IF an experienced manager is installed we will see a more even spread of UK/Foreign/Youth players.

52 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

The lads that come in from abroad evidently need time. Nepo only needed a couple of months to get into the swing of things, but it’s taken Maouche considerably longer. Queensy & Omrani showed flashes and Johnny appeared to be a class above before an unfortunate incident with his family happened.

We’re now only seeing Missilou getting to grips with the English game. Before he was sliding in and was always about 2 yards behind his man but he’s adapted and was arguably the best player on the pitch at Fulham until Surridge came on and demonstrated his different class.

Branger may get there, i don’t know... he has some skills but some times lacks intelligence on the ball.

These two supposed signings have played at a considerably higher level than the French 4/5th tier so maybe they will take a bit less time to bed in. 

Despite what people say about Maouche, whether that be because of his nationality or his wage, you can’t doubt his technical ability which I personally believe is that of a player that shouldn’t be playing in League Two. The majority of our squad is better than League Two if i’m being honest. 

That is why I find it so frustrating when we rocked up to games with Bunn fighting for draws at all costs and we seemed to slip back into that mindset against FGR for 45 mins. I always said that if we had someone other than Bunn we could be a lot higher. I know he was admired by a lot of the players but I don’t think he was ever good enough. 

We’re now in a position where the Play Offs aren’t totally out of reach, but it is going to be extremely tough to get there... Pray god they get a win tomorrow and finally get into gear and get some people through the door, otherwise we will finish 15th.

22 minutes ago, singe said:

You definitely should do this more considered post more often.
I'd say you are pretty spot on, can't see many disagreeing much.

Pretty much what singe said, I disagree with a couple of minor points but that's a great post.

Purely regarding on the field issues our squad in the 1st half of the season is probably good enough to make the playoffs but didn't have the quality to be top 3.  With good or bad management that could've and still could make a difference.

Bunn made some mistakes tactically (O'Grady and Miller up front with other options available stands out), but he showed improvement and showed that while he signed a few turkeys (Coke, Graham to a lesser extent, maybe even Taylor) he also saw the potential in Iversen, Lyden, Surridge and Lang.  Wild has done brilliantly and short-term I wouldn't change a thing.  If we get a better manager in for the rest of the season so be it, but on the balance of it I thought Bunn was unlucky not to get the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Home grown players don't have to be English - "a Player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any Club (or club) affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three Seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday".

So that includes, for example, Bellerin, Christensen, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Schmeichel and Lukaku.

I think Iversen may count as he is in the season of his 21st birthday now having been signed by Leicester in 2016.

For the person wondering if it is in the EFL regulations 

See https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-5--fixtures/

Just now, archiecat said:

Cheers :D i could make a team from that list that would beat our foreign legion without breaking a sweat.

We know there are no allegiances in football anymore,players are only interested in how much $$$$$ they can make but i still firmly believe that homegrown players offer more than the wholesale importing of foreign recruits.

Time will definately show one way or another the effect of this recruitment policy, the owner has decided this is how he wants to run the club ( his money,his choice) maybe IF an experienced manager is installed we will see a more even spread of UK/Foreign/Youth players.

I think there is a balance to be had. I am just accepting AL will do it this way because of his previous experience. I don't mind it if it is a conveyor belt through the youth and they will beome part of the club, but short term buys will be a problem admittedly. It seems like AL has learned a bit (not proven). For me, the foreign legion seem to have more skill than the British players as a general rule, some exceptions obviously. For me, there is not much difference in risk, too many British players seem to drop out, it appears not mentally tough enough-this might be more a national issue.

7 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Can't see any decent experienced manager wanting to work with the two 🤡 

12 minutes ago, archiecat said:

From what I can see, 3 of our 13 signings this season (AL's first season in full charge) are from overseas.  I'd hardly call that wholesale importing of foreign recruits.

46 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

From what I can see, 3 of our 13 signings this season (AL's first season in full charge) are from overseas.  I'd hardly call that wholesale importing of foreign recruits.

He's been puliing the strings for season and a half and there's been at least 10 signings you can attribute solely to him.

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Very few of our English players, whether they be local or from down south or wherever, have been "proud" to wear the shirt for years...

In fact the same will be said at most clubs in the land. 

Football in general has been like that for ages now....

Have you recently awoken from been cryogenically frozen or something? 

Like me, I bet you’ve recently watched John Spartan going toe to toe with Simon Phoenix ! 

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He's been puliing the strings for season and a half and there's been at least 10 signings you can attribute solely to him.

Ok then, last season it seems like 9 of our 22 signings were from overseas.  Again, wouldn't call that wholesale importing.  And maybe he learned a lesson and this season hasn't brought in as many because of that?

Of the Fulham game 6 out of the 18 squad members are from overseas.  2 of our own youth started the game. 

Out of curiosity, what percentage of foreigners in the squad is acceptable?

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Ok then, last season it seems like 9 of our 22 signings were from overseas.  Again, wouldn't call that wholesale importing.  And maybe he learned a lesson and this season hasn't brought in as many because of that?

Of the Fulham game 6 out of the 18 squad members are from overseas.  2 of our own youth started the game. 

Out of curiosity, what percentage of foreigners in the squad is acceptable?

In comparison to other L1 and L2 clubs I would say it is a high percentage.

2 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Hello who are you and what have you done with and too Kusunga?

I like this post