9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He's got the necessary coaching badges.  The only one he doesn't have is the UEFA Pro licence which he'll only need when he gets us to the Premier League or into Europe. OK

He's a multiple premier league winner, champions league, fa cup, has 66 England caps and has played in World Cups and European Championships.  He was highly regarded as a footballer by his peers all over the world. He has coaching experience with Man Utd, and as an co-owner of Salford will have some degree of a working knowledge of football at this level.  He will have contacts throughout all levels of the game. Already answered this-so what? Can we afford them-probably not

His profile will hopefully get us a bit more coverage - some cash from being on Sky every now and again would be handy. Agreed

If we are going for a young manager in his first job, I can't imagine how there could be anyone better qualified. Other than his coaching badges nothing above means he is qualified.

But yeah, he played for Man Utd and doesn't have a league 2 promotion on his CV so he'll probably be shite. Who knows?

29 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He's got the necessary coaching badges.  The only one he doesn't have is the UEFA Pro licence which he'll only need when he gets us to the Premier League or into Europe.

He's a multiple premier league winner, champions league, fa cup, has 66 England caps and has played in World Cups and European Championships.  He was highly regarded as a footballer by his peers all over the world. He has coaching experience with Man Utd, and as an co-owner of Salford will have some degree of a working knowledge of football at this level.  He will have contacts throughout all levels of the game.

His profile will hopefully get us a bit more coverage - some cash from being on Sky every now and again would be handy.

If we are going for a young manager in his first job, I can't imagine how there could be anyone better qualified.

But yeah, he played for Man Utd and doesn't have a league 2 promotion on his CV so he'll probably be shite.

My only concern with all this playing  experience is fine, but Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton to name but two didn't cut it as managers. In other words it's a gamble, he could turn out to be the next Eddie Howe, but then he might not.

Edited by parigby

10 minutes ago, parigby said:

My only concern with all this playing  experience is fine, but Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton to name but two didn't cut it as managers. In other words it's a gamble, he could turn out to be the next Eddie Howe, but then he might not.

Were coaching badges essential in those days?

15 minutes ago, parigby said:

A little closer to home,  he could be  either a Graham Sharp or  a Joe Royle. Surely  could be fun experience for us all  to see whichever way it goes?

The Guardian writer doesn't rule out the Oldham job either.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/23/paul-scholes-class-of-92-manchester-united-ole-gunnar-solskjaer

i have mixed feelings about Scholes.

Yes, he has huge experience, and he will definitely raise the profile. He has the contacts too for players, albeit he has burned his bridges somewhat at Old Trafford. He will attract a different calibre of player. He has the contacts and profile to raise money too, if AL allows that.

But what has he been doing for 5 years? He talks about the need to get a coaching job, but does not seem to have done much about it. It takes about 18 montyhs to do the Pro Licence. I wonder if that is the others & his wife  statingwhat heed needs rather than whet he feels himself. I hope it is not that he feels he should be entiteld to walk into any job, or because he is a bit bored now.

Here in 2016, he does not seem that bothered about being a manager. Maybe time away is showing how he misses it, but no sign of the "made no secret of his desire to coach" here

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-news-scholes-manager-11844027

Here, in 2017, he had been doing some Youth coaching at Latics as part of his A Licence.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-news-scholes-manager-11844027

We know how shifty he has been about his support for Latics. But being a fan should have absolutely no bearing of him managing us, I'd like to think there is an affinity at least.

But he did apply. He must know the situation regarding his shares, if he is serious about managing. I think that is the delay. He must have looked into last time he applied.

He has the Graeme Sharp type issue re coachingh of not bothering to learn to drive, not an issue in itself,  but it causing issues with him doing the job.

His quiet charachter is often raised, but sometimes fewer words are better.

On balance, I think it is worth a punt, to lance the boil. Maybe the oft touted experience guy behind him to assist and avoid obvious pitfalls.

Edited by singe

22 minutes ago, singe said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/23/paul-scholes-class-of-92-manchester-united-ole-gunnar-solskjaer

Yes, he has huge experience, and he will definitely raise the profile. He has the contacts too for players, albeit he has burned his bridges somewhat at Old Trafford. He will attract a different calibre of player. He has the contacts and profile to raise money too, if AL allows that.

But what has he been doing for 5 years? He talks about the need to get a coaching job, but does not seem to have done much about it. It takes about 18 montyhs to do the Pro Licence. I wonder if that is the others & his wife  statingwhat heed needs rather than whet he feels himself. I hope it is not that he feels he should be entiteld to walk into any job, or because he is a bit bored now.

It's almost as if he'll be reluctantly taking a managers job because he thinks he should, and his mates are telling him he should, and he doesn't want to have any regrets when he's older about never giving it a go. 

None of which bodes well in my eyes. 

Gerrard and Lampard clearly really wanted to become managers and wasted no time getting into reasonably high profile jobs.

Scholes doesn't seem sure what he wants, or doesn't want.

I don't see him being any good at it and, even if he is, I don't see him sticking it out for long at all given his demeanour/temperament. 

That said, I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he could get a right tune out of us short term before it all going tits up a bit like Roy Keane at Sunderland...

39 minutes ago, singe said:

Here in 2016, he does not seem that bothered about being a manager. Maybe time away is showing how he misses it, but no sign of the "made no secret of his desire to coach" here

Here, in 2017, he had been doing some Youth coaching at Latics as part of his A Licence.

We know how shifty he has been about his support for Latics. But being a fan should have absolutely no bearing of him managing us, I'd like to think there is an affinity at least.

But he did apply. He must know the situation regarding his shares, if he is serious about managing. I think that is the delay. He must have looked into last time he applied.

He has the Graeme Sharp type issue re coachingh of not bothering to learn to drive, not an issue in itself,  but it causing issues with him doing the job.

His quiet charachter is often raised, but sometimes fewer words are better.

On balance, I think it is worth a punt, to lance the boil. Maybe the oft touted experience guy behind him to assist and avoid obvious pitfalls.

Is ‘learning to drive’ a metaphor? Because, if not, he definatley 100% drives.

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd take Darren Ferguson.

:peepwall:

Taking away the obvious fact everyone hates him, there is a case for him. He has quite a good record of points per game.
But he seems to need Daddy or money. Or both.

My mate, who isn't an Oldham fan, reckons the Beckham stuff is all a dog and pony show by Salford to give themselves some promotion. Instead of Scholes selling straight to him and it being all about us, Salford are getting ahead of the story and have had loads of media down yesterday to talk about them.

Then if and when it's needed, Scholes quietly sells his 10% to Peter Lim, Lim doesn't own more than 50% of the club thanks to selling some of his shares to Beckham.

Seems needlessly complicated, but nothing about our dalliances with appointing Scholes have been normal.

15 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I don't see him being any good at it and, even if he is, I don't see him sticking it out for long at all given his demeanour/temperament. 

That said, I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he could get a right tune out of us short term before it all going tits up a bit like Roy Keane at Sunderland...

Maybe it would be the perfect time for him to go for it then.  There's no expectations of us having a 3 year plan of where we are looking to go, but maybe an opportunist 3 or 4 months will let him and us know if it's the right thing for him.

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd take Darren Ferguson.

:peepwall:

Maybe it shows how far we've fallen but...yeah I'd be OK with him managing us at this stage.  He has obvious flaws but he knows how to get teams promoted (with a budget I should add).