Scholes gone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

We are long overdue a visit from the grammar police. A double negative is more than disappointing.

"I haven't castigated anyone" ✅

"I have castigated no one" ✅

To be clear, I am not offering an opinion on whether Lags has or has not castigated anyone.

Certainly not a strong point of mine. 

Of one thing I am absolutely certain. Paul Scholes is not cut out for management. Very talented footballer but just does not possess the qualities to be a manager.

As for the arbitration result, we have to have the grace to accept it and move on. For once, I think Lags does make a fair point or two.

7 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Of one thing I am absolutely certain. Paul Scholes is not cut out for management. Very talented footballer but just does not possess the qualities to be a manager.

As for the arbitration result, we have to have the grace to accept it and move on. For once, I think Lags does make a fair point or two.

Maybe for once but thank you. Actually this is all I've been banging on about from the beginning. When the clubs hierarchy are at fault,  by all means call it out. Read this board and virtually every thread descends into abuse or ridicule. Yet that is deemed acceptable, to me I'll back the bullied. Call it a flaw in my character but one day in some circumstance or another, it maybe you or people you care about that gets that weird support. 

On 8/8/2020 at 8:51 AM, Lags said:

Do I think Al and Mo have brought in players...yes, a big yes. Have sporting directors in other clubs brought in players...yes a big yes.

Said it this week, I'd rather a manager bring in his own players, standing and falling on his decisions.

Once again, on this scholes issue, scholes lost, Al was vindicated. We live in a rule of law country (yes I know it wasn't a law court, but the principle stands), so in this instance, why is it for many a clear miscarriage? if it had gone the other way would these posters be questioning the decision or would it be clear evidence by an independent body chat? see my point.

The Liverpool board has told boss Jurgen Klopp to sell players such as Guinea midfielder Naby Keita, 25, to fund a move for Bayern Munich and Spain midfielder Thiago Alcantara, 29. (Kicker - in German)

It happens even to the best of managers. 😉

8 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Based on that whopping one month in charge yeah.

I thought Scholes looked bored. He actually said he was bored of watching videos of the L1 clubs. His whole demeanour looked like he couldn't give a shit, but body language is another issue. He openly stated that he was bored. I got the impression he was looking for a hasty escape while trying to keep the moral high ground. Shift the blame.

That said, there's no way that AL didn't given an opinion here and there. But Scholes could've openly/publicly called him out instead of sneaking away. He was in an ideal position to embarrass the owner and to shed light on the problems. He wasn't motivated to take the job and couldn't give a shit about making a stand. He is born and bred football royalty and i believe he couldn't hack it with working alongside paupers on a daily basis. 

They're a pair arseholes.  

6 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I thought Scholes looked bored. He actually said he was bored of watching videos of the L1 clubs. His whole demeanour looked like he couldn't give a shit, but body language is another issue. He openly stated that he was bored. I got the impression he was looking for a hasty escape while trying to keep the moral high ground. Shift the blame.

That said, there's no way that AL didn't given an opinion here and there. But Scholes could've openly/publicly called him out instead of sneaking away. He was in an ideal position to embarrass the owner and to shed light on the problems. He wasn't motivated to take the job and couldn't give a shit about making a stand. He is born and bred football royalty and i believe he couldn't hack it with working alongside paupers on a daily basis. 

They're a pair arseholes.  

He wasn't motivated to take a job he spent a number of months negotiating and waiting for approval for. Aye, ok den.

Not getting into the " did Abdallah tell Scholes which team to pick?" argument as we all have our own opinions on what may/may not have happened

It was a strange reign though was Scholes's (even by Latics recent standards). It all started great with a 4-1 demolition of Yeovil when Branger showed us for an evening a passable impression of a mercurial winger in the mould of an Allan Groves. The gloss soon disappeared though as Crewe staged a last ditch rally as Latics fell deeper and deeper and scored in injury time to deny Scholes another home win and we suffered an injury time equaliser against someone else (can't think who) so in truth maybe his reign was not quite as damningly poor as statistics show (won 1 in 7, lost 3 of which 2 were away to clubs subsequently promoted [Lincoln and Bury]) . 

However what was very apparent was that something was horribly wrong for Latics and Scholes that night at Lincoln City which proved to be the final chapter in this sad part of our history. That night, Latics had started like a house on fire, playing some fast flowing attacking football (i know i doesn't sound right but we did) and our high flying hosts couldn't get a kick in the first 15. It went badly downhill after Jose Baxter was sent off for a shocking tackle and thereafter it was damage limitation. Only great last ditch defending (once again doesn't sound right does it?) and wayward finishing stopped us conceding a hatful and an abiding memory of the last 75 minutes was the number of corners Lincoln had that were all accompanied by  what sounded like an air raid siren which is still ringing in my ears to this day. 

The part though that made it all apparent that something was desperately wrong though was Scholes' substitutions that fatal evening. He withdrew our best players on the night and replaced them with Giles Coke and Urko Vero and all Latics fans in attendance thought "He's lost it here, he is taking the piss". I do truly believe that by then he had decided to quit and was just making bizarre substitutions to highlight to all that there was something horribly wrong at the club. In fact the fact that both players (use the term lightly) even got as far as the first team bench was pretty damning but to bring them both on at the same time (albeit when the game had gone) was truly mindblowing.     

22 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Not getting into the " did Abdallah tell Scholes which team to pick?" argument as we all have our own opinions on what may/may not have happened

It was a strange reign though was Scholes's (even by Latics recent standards). It all started great with a 4-1 demolition of Yeovil when Branger showed us for an evening a passable impression of a mercurial winger in the mould of an Allan Groves. The gloss soon disappeared though as Crewe staged a last ditch rally as Latics fell deeper and deeper and scored in injury time to deny Scholes another home win and we suffered an injury time equaliser against someone else (can't think who) so in truth maybe his reign was not quite as damningly poor as statistics show (won 1 in 7, lost 3 of which 2 were away to clubs subsequently promoted [Lincoln and Bury]) . 

However what was very apparent was that something was horribly wrong for Latics and Scholes that night at Lincoln City which proved to be the final chapter in this sad part of our history. That night, Latics had started like a house on fire, playing some fast flowing attacking football (i know i doesn't sound right but we did) and our high flying hosts couldn't get a kick in the first 15. It went badly downhill after Jose Baxter was sent off for a shocking tackle and thereafter it was damage limitation. Only great last ditch defending (once again doesn't sound right does it?) and wayward finishing stopped us conceding a hatful and an abiding memory of the last 75 minutes was the number of corners Lincoln had that were all accompanied by  what sounded like an air raid siren which is still ringing in my ears to this day. 

The part though that made it all apparent that something was desperately wrong though was Scholes' substitutions that fatal evening. He withdrew our best players on the night and replaced them with Giles Coke and Urko Vero and all Latics fans in attendance thought "He's lost it here, he is taking the piss". I do truly believe that by then he had decided to quit and was just making bizarre substitutions to highlight to all that there was something horribly wrong at the club. In fact the fact that both players (use the term lightly) even got as far as the first team bench was pretty damning but to bring them both on at the same time (albeit when the game had gone) was truly mindblowing.     

Looked like he was shrinking before my eyes at Lincoln, visibly diminishing as the game progressed all muffled up and the camera constantly focusing on him.

OK so he reportedly had flu, the weather was terrible, and the refereeing atrocious, but there was no reaction from him, just a dead man walking.

48 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

A well written piece.

Yes, Scholes had a cold or flu stood on Lincolns touchline in horrid weather going down again. He's got substandard players to bring on who he knows cannot change the game and it's my opinion he's thinking "do I need this". For sure  you can add into the mix Al and Mo, a club that couldn't afford Carringtons drive way and his former team mates and friends words ringing in his ear's " what are you thinking taking the Oldham job". 

30 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Looked like he was shrinking before my eyes at Lincoln, visibly diminishing as the game progressed all muffled up and the camera constantly focusing on him.

OK so he reportedly had flu, the weather was terrible, and the refereeing atrocious, but there was no reaction from him, just a dead man walking.

Quite bizarrely though, it could all have been different that night had Jose not got himself sent off so recklessly.

I had forgotten Scholes had a heavy cold/flu but his demeanour rarely changed no matter whether circumstances were good or bad.  I don't think that Scholes is suited to a managerial role tbh, obviously a great player in his pomp but not necessarily good managerial material. 

Dead man walking is perhaps quite a suitable eptaph to his reign and maybe applies to our club in general unless there is radical change           

11 minutes ago, Lags said:

A well written piece.

Yes, Scholes had a cold or flu stood on Lincolns touchline in horrid weather going down again. He's got substandard players to bring on who he knows cannot change the game and it's my opinion he's thinking "do I need this". For sure  you can add into the mix Al and Mo, a club that couldn't afford Carringtons drive way and his former team mates and friends words ringing in his ear's " what are you thinking taking the Oldham job". 

Cheers Lags. 

I had forgotten that Scholes had a cold/flu till Robins and yourself reminded me but i think your summary is perfectly feasible. 

Sadly I feel that the words of his former team mates ad friends still apply to deter would-be suitors and/or investors  and have been further accentuated by Scholes' short reign  

Our sporting director has cost his brother a fortune. Signing players, some of whom were never good enough, and didn't even feature. Others just not up to L2. At any other club, said director would be shown the door pretty sharpish, but because of nepotism, ours keeps his place. Having said that, so far so good this season. Lets see what the next dozen are so are like.

16 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I think he was heavily motivated till he got it then became very bored very quickly 

I've had two jobs in my career where I realised in a very short space of time that I'd made a dreadful error. Suspect this was similar. 

On 8/9/2020 at 9:17 AM, deyres42 said:

Based on that whopping one month in charge yeah.

17 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

He probably said the same down the pub about Joe Royle in 1982.

Certainly not based on one month in charge but based on an appreciation of the qualities needed to be an effective manager.

It's nice to be back in the pub, Inspiral. By the way, if you played in the band, I remember seeing you way back before you were really known - in a pub called The Royal on Horsedge Street off Yorkshire Street in Oldham town centre 😀 

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Certainly not based on one month in charge but based on an appreciation of the qualities needed to be an effective manager.

I agree. 

He's never struck me as a person who has a personality to make a good manager. I remain unconvinced that someone who's spent their entire career at the top of the game would really know what's needed at the rough end of League Two...

The plan to raise the profile of the club also seemed to be fading even before Scholes departed. 

Scholes has been around the club often enough to know what he was getting himself in to...Under normal circumstances ie.we didn’t have 🤡🤡’s running the show, I think it would have been a brilliant appointment.

In time, with his obvious contacts, he may even have been able to attract outside investment from higher up the football pyramid and IMO the club would have been in much better nick by now.

I’m on Scholes’s side here, he probably realised very early on he’d dropped an almighty bollock and the head coach’s revolving door is testament to that, for me a huge opportunity missed!!

I don’t want to get into any arguments as this is just my own opinion. 

Glad it was over before his debacle got  even worse, as  only one win, that when he had not involvement in the team (started the job that day). Ended by a resignation by What's app  (sums up the Scholes era) sad  and out of his depth as a manager / head coach. 

Hopefully like many other good / great players he now realises that management is not so easy.

5 minutes ago, Chaddy14 said:

Glad it was over before his debacle got  even worse, as  only one win, that when he had not involvement in the team (started the job that day). Ended by a resignation by What's app  (sums up the Scholes era) sad  and out of his depth as a manager / head coach. 

Hopefully like many other good / great players he now realises that management is not so easy.

Should probably stick to telling Mourinho where he's going wrong.

It's pretty easy pointing out people's failings.....you only have to have an hour or two on here to see that. 

Archived