#ReclaimTheFaith

2 minutes ago, tGWB said:

My point wasnt that football fans wouldnt go to stadiums, more that the traditional week in week out type of supporter is very much in decline and that football clubs previous reliance on attendances is less and theyre more reliant on tv monies etc 

I disagree it's in decline the evidence shows that overall attendances have been on an upward trend over the past 30 years.

What clubs have done is become more commercially aware and no longer just take money from those on the gate every other Saturday but through TV, sponsorship, commercial opportunities, and merchandise. Their will always be a place for supporters who want to attend games its just that clubs don't rely on them as much. Which is what football clubs have to do if they want long term sustainability.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I disagree it's in decline the evidence shows that overall attendances have been on an upward trend over the past 30 years.

What clubs have done is become more commercially aware and no longer just take money from those on the gate every other Saturday but through TV, sponsorship, commercial opportunities, and merchandise. Their will always be a place for supporters who want to attend games its just that clubs don't rely on them as much. Which is what football clubs have to do if they want long term sustainability.

your 2nd paragraph suggests we dont disgree Glossop 

26 minutes ago, tGWB said:

your 2nd paragraph suggests we dont disgree Glossop 

We aren't that far away we are probably on a similar path what I just disagree with is that the traditional match going fan is in decline(which maybe down to your choice of words rather than a fundamental disagreement) I very much believe they are part of football clubs.

10 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We aren't that far away we are probably on a similar path what I just disagree with is that the traditional match going fan is in decline(which maybe down to your choice of words rather than a fundamental disagreement) I very much believe they are part of football clubs.

Havent any stats to prove it, more an observation 

Can see a decline in the week in week out supporter being replaced by the occasional match goer 

13 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Football is not the same game in an empty stadium. It's like drinking at home as opposed to drinking at the pub. I much prefer drinking at the pub because of the social aspect etc. However, it's scary how many people now drink at home. They complain about the price of beer in pubs - yet these same people happily pay £12 for a "gourmet burger" or £8 for a fish finger butty (as long as it's on the "signature menu" of course. I think you'll find much of life is now dictated by how easily sheeple are manipulated by marketing rather than anything else. There remains the enlightened few that are not susceptible to it. Before you rush to your keyboards (more probably the latest smartphone!).... stop.... think... and have a good look around you.... 90% have become slaves to marketing.

Dear o dear you are a cynic aren’t you. Not all of the modern world is bad chap. 

What’s wrong with paying good money for good food?

Am intrigued as to when you settled on the internet being ok but smart phones not? 

id get out more if I were you 

15 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Football is not the same game in an empty stadium. It's like drinking at home as opposed to drinking at the pub. I much prefer drinking at the pub because of the social aspect etc. However, it's scary how many people now drink at home. They complain about the price of beer in pubs - yet these same people happily pay £12 for a "gourmet burger" or £8 for a fish finger butty (as long as it's on the "signature menu" of course. I think you'll find much of life is now dictated by how easily sheeple are manipulated by marketing rather than anything else. There remains the enlightened few that are not susceptible to it. Before you rush to your keyboards (more probably the latest smartphone!).... stop.... think... and have a good look around you.... 90% have become slaves to marketing.

Remarkable.  Eating out has become a major leisure activity over the last twenty years or so in a way that it just wasn't when I was younger - it was very much a special event.  If you pay £12 for a burger then you're paying for ambience, service etc.  If you want to stick with a packet of frozen Birds Eye burgers watching black and whit TV with three channels (I remember when there were only two available) then you're very welcome to stick with life in the 70s.

My local pub doesn't do food - I fear for its future although I am trying my best...

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Remarkable.  Eating out has become a major leisure activity over the last twenty years or so in a way that it just wasn't when I was younger - it was very much a special event.  If you pay £12 for a burger then you're paying for ambience, service etc.  If you want to stick with a packet of frozen Birds Eye burgers watching black and whit TV with three channels (I remember when there were only two available) then you're very welcome to stick with life in the 70s.

My local pub doesn't do food - I fear for its future although I am trying my best...

True, It wasn't always the good old days, jam sandwiches for work and stewed tea with condensed milk was my regular lunch.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:52 PM, wiseowl said:

Would you be happy if we all lived like cavemen with excellent grammar ? 

On 10/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, Andy b said:

Dear o dear you are a cynic aren’t you. Not all of the modern world is bad chap. 

What’s wrong with paying good money for good food?

Am intrigued as to when you settled on the internet being ok but smart phones not? 

id get out more if I were you 

What’s wrong with paying good money for good sport (including football) via Sky or any other subscription channel (Amazon, Netflix, iFollow etc)?

On 10/26/2021 at 4:48 PM, Andy b said:

It appears you value the premier league as an entertainment spectacle. You watch it in the pub, take a general interest in it and have a sky subscription. Please don’t take that the wrong way but that being the case, I see why you don’t want the super league.

By contrast, i can add up the number of hours of premier league football I watch on a year on two hands. I know sod all about it and very quickly get out of my depth when people to try and engage me in a conversation about it. For that reason, the strength and maintenance of the premier league as a spectacle is of no relevance to me. 

Further I really don’t see why I should care about what Liverpool fans enjoy

It appears you like making assumptions. 

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

What’s wrong with paying good money for good sport (including football) via Sky or any other subscription channel (Amazon, Netflix, iFollow etc)?

Nowt big man. Your choice. I happen to think that football would be better if the top 6 did their own thing

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I asked this before and I will ask it again.

How?

It wouldn’t - the next 6 would be the “big 6” the premier league would still be light years away from us and we would be no where near better off 

the fact the best players would go to the Super League would further devalue our own league 

no tv company is going to pay billions for Brighton Vs Southampton 

21 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

It wouldn’t - the next 6 would be the “big 6” the premier league would still be light years away from us and we would be no where near better off 

the fact the best players would go to the Super League would further devalue our own league 

no tv company is going to pay billions for Brighton Vs Southampton 

Really don’t understand. Sorry. 

why on Earth do you want a version of football where a tv company pays billions of pounds for Brighton v southampton. What good does that do?

4 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Really don’t understand. Sorry. 

why on Earth do you want a version of football where a tv company pays billions of pounds for Brighton v southampton. What good does that do?

Youre right you don’t understand 

I don’t want that - my point is it wouldn’t happen all the money would go to the Super League and the domestic game would be even poorer especially at our level 

its also not going to happen so it’s a fairly pointless debate 

10 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Youre right you don’t understand 

I don’t want that - my point is it wouldn’t happen all the money would go to the Super League and the domestic game would be even poorer especially at our level 

its also not going to happen so it’s a fairly pointless debate 

There is another way. That’s all. Fundamentals of the current structure work for very very few. 

I don’t believe in a trickle down system. Nice theory. It doesn’t work in the wider economy. It doesn’t work in football. Increasing money in the economy just makes everything more expensive. Fine if all groups can take advantage of that monetary injection to get on. But the structures of football don’t allow that to happen. 

Root and branch change needed starting with cutting wit the top 4/6 (or whatever) adrift. 

Archived