#ReclaimTheFaith

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, disjointed said:

It's going to hurt giving money to the fraudster, but I'm with you, going to feel strange though after nearly 3 seasons. 

Thanks for your support! It will be the same for us going back but the more there the stronger the message. 👍 

Fully appreciate what you are aiming for but trying to please everyone never works. At some point, there is going to have to be one sustained strategy (popular or not). They won't be getting a penny more of mine, so I can't go along with your idea but I wish you all the best.

Boycotting is working but slower than hoped. Starving the regime of cash is having an effect in achieving the ultimate aim of convincing the owner to sell. As long as he's not seen to "lose face" he'll go.

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Fully appreciate what you are aiming for but trying to please everyone never works. At some point, there is going to have to be one sustained strategy (popular or not). They won't be getting a penny more of mine, so I can't go along with your idea but I wish you all the best.

Boycotting is working but slower than hoped. Starving the regime of cash is having an effect in achieving the ultimate aim of convincing the owner to sell. As long as he's not seen to "lose face" he'll go.

Which is the crux of the problem in a nutshell.

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Boycotting is working but slower than hoped.

Starving the regime of cash is having an effect in achieving the ultimate aim of convincing the owner to sell.

Two genuine questions:

1. Is there evidence that ‘boycotting’ is working?

2. Is there evidence that ‘starving the regime of cash’ is having an effect?

14 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Two genuine questions:

No to both 

crowds have been on the decline for years 

and nobhead reckons he has us the most financially stable for years 

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Which is the crux of the problem in a nutshell.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Two genuine questions:

Bob/TheBigDog

I don't claim to be "in the know" at all but I still keep in touch with one or two who are reasonably clued up on internal matters. One has very recently said to me that IF enough people continued boycotting AND the protests etc. went away - the club might well be sold. It was interesting that the second point was as important as the continued reduced cashflow via "missing" fans i.e. if everything quietened down fully, the owner could just exit quietly at a certain price and not be seen to "lose face" in the glare of full and adverse publicity.

Certainly gave me food for thought and an interesting take on the situation.

Who knows?

39 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Bob/TheBigDog

I don't claim to be "in the know" at all but I still keep in touch with one or two who are reasonably clued up on internal matters. One has very recently said to me that IF enough people continued boycotting AND the protests etc. went away - the club might well be sold. It was interesting that the second point was as important as the continued reduced cashflow via "missing" fans i.e. if everything quietened down fully, the owner could just exit quietly at a certain price and not be seen to "lose face" in the glare of full and adverse publicity.

Who knows?

If you had shared this information earlier, it may have had a bearing on the decision to attend, or it may not have done as I'm unsure as to whether you are privy to this sort of information. But I respect your reasons for not wanting to attend the PV game. 

14 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Bob/TheBigDog

Who knows?

I think it's the "losing face" thing which is main reason keeping Abdallah here, after all it can't  really be anything else as getting your money back is a pipe dream,

It's perhaps a cultural thing in his neck of the woods that we don't understand as it defies all logic.

12 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Well they'll likely announce the attendances at a very similar level for both games I'd imagine

Are you suggesting that the club hierarchy would 'manipulate' the attendance down for one game and then up for the next?!

15 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Bob/TheBigDog

Who knows?

He's 3,500 miles away, got an easy ride the last time he was at Boundary Park, could sell the club remotely and then he and Oldham Athletic never need to cross paths again.

How much quieter does he want it?  I hardly doubt the British press are going to be hounding him for a quote about it...

Join the protest, back the trust. No one knows what the future holds but doing these two things increases the likelihood of a better future. Don’t know when and don’t know how that will materialise but these are the only two things in the armoury of our fan base. 

37 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He's 3,500 miles away, got an easy ride the last time he was at Boundary Park, could sell the club remotely and then he and Oldham Athletic never need to cross paths again.

How much quieter does he want it?  I hardly doubt the British press are going to be hounding him for a quote about it...

The point being made is that he may not want to be seen to have been badgered out of the club.

It's losing face in some cultures. 

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The point being made is that he may not want to be seen to have been badgered out of the club.

I get that.

No protests for a while and an easy ride when he was at BP could mean he spreads the word that he battled on heroically through the rough times and now, in calmer seas, has decided to leave under his own terms.  Everyone's a winner.

18 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Bob/TheBigDog

Who knows?

Surely the best way for AL to avoid the "glare of full and adverse publicity" from regular protests would be for him to sell up ASAP... 

3 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Surely the best way for AL to avoid the "glare of full and adverse publicity" from regular protests would be for him to sell up ASAP... 

Not sure there is much adverse publicity that is going to be worrying him. Outside of a couple of thousand Oldham fans, I don’t think anyone really cares 

1 hour ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Thats my thoughts but it's all about perception.

If he walked away quickly and said look I tried something it didn't work then that would say he has a whole lot more integrity than someone who is holding out here for nothing other than more money.

When it comes to saving face the worst thing that could happen to him would be for the club to get relegated out of the football league their is no coming back from that.

10 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Unless AL is a complete moron - admittedly, every chance of that - he is losing face every day he owns our

club. 

For goodness sake, forget this notion of stroking his ego as we try to get him out.

11 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Unless AL is a complete moron - admittedly, every chance of that - he is losing face every day he owns our

club. 

For goodness sake, forget this notion of stroking his ego as we try to get him out.

Not meaning to single you out particularly, Worcester but this is a classic example of someone not understanding properly the cultural issues. I lived out in Thailand for a couple of years and had heard the phrase "losing face" many times (i.e. a Thai man will never "lose face" - if he does he loses his honour). Never really got it until I witnessed the horrific beating of an Australian man who refused to just smile and back down in a very minor row with a Thai man over around £1. Truly horrific to witness but apparently the Thai man could not back down or he would have had to leave town over "losing face" - simple as that. The Thai police were pretty indifferent to the matter - intimating that the westerner should have appreciated this aspect of their culture (losing face).

As you travel east "losing face" is a massive cultural thing that we will never understand properly in the west. It's akin to trying to understand so called "honour killings". I`m told that "losing face" is at least on a par with the issue of "money" here. Last I`ll say on the matter - you either get it or you don't (and that's no criticism of anyone who has no experience of it).

3 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Not meaning to single you out particularly, Worcester but this is a classic example of someone not understanding properly the cultural issues. I lived out in Thailand for a couple of years and had heard the phrase "losing face" many times (i.e. a Thai man will never "lose face" - if he does he loses his honour). Never really got it until I witnessed the horrific beating of an Australian man who refused to just smile and back down in a very minor row with a Thai man over around £1. Truly horrific to witness but apparently the Thai man could not back down or he would have had to leave town over "losing face" - simple as that. The Thai police were pretty indifferent to the matter - intimating that the westerner should have appreciated this aspect of their culture (losing face).

As you travel east "losing face" is a massive cultural thing that we will never understand properly in the west. It's akin to trying to understand so called "honour killings". I`m told that "losing face" is at least on a par with the issue of "money" here. Last I`ll say on the matter - you either get it or you don't (and that's no criticism of anyone who has no experience of it).

The irony in this post is present on so many levels

30 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

So what you are saying here is if we have no more shitstorms between now and the end of the season and we finish in a fairly unremarkable 17th position well clear of relegation, inevitably resulting in protests dying down he will sell the club?

Archived